Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    My only issue with the marleau trade is not having a 1st rounder 2 consecutive years. We have seen many times in the past how that isn't the way to go. Hopefully the scouting does what it needs to do.
    That's the thing man and you said it.. You gotta hit on the tough picks. Things is, our core is 25 and under. Our best players. We're not a team trying to win with 30 year olds. So if any team can make it work without back to back firsts it's the Leafs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    **** Marner. These guys think they're irreplaceable. I've said this before and I'll say it a million times until he signs. Let him get offer sheeted or let him sit out the whole year and fill the cap space with other players who would be good role players.

Perry, Tanev etc... we need to let selfish players go and obtain more team oriented guys.

Nylander, Matthew's, Tavares is all we need anyways to win that cup. Add in Kapenen, Johannesen, Kadri still on roster and fill in blanks.

We shouldnt and won't lose sleep if he leaves. Trade his *** for a sickkk package if possible.
    Would we be surprised to see him meet with our old friends with the Islanders? They have nearly a full roster signed and have 20 million in cap left if I'm reading their salaries correctly. I'm sure they wouldn't feel bad taking Marner away from us and nothing would make their fans happier than taking a RFA away from the team Tavares chose. They have a pretty decent team, so the picks wouldn't be that great.

Quote Originally Posted by CptObvious71 View Post
    Would we be surprised to see him meet with our old friends with the Islanders? They have nearly a full roster signed and have 20 million in cap left if I'm reading their salaries correctly. I'm sure they wouldn't feel bad taking Marner away from us and nothing would make their fans happier than taking a RFA away from the team Tavares chose. They have a pretty decent team, so the picks wouldn't be that great.
    I don't see Lou doing that. He's a "league guy". Betman was on Overdrive Friday and kind of hinted "if I ran a team I wouldn't do that." But if any team wants to run over the 10.5 and change and fork over the 4 firsts.. go ahead and take the risk. Any compensation under the 4 firsts and Dubas will match. Ball is completely in our court here.
    Last edited by KingerSox; Yesterday at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    I don't see Lou doing that. He's a "league guy". Betman was on Overdrive Friday and kind of hinted "if I ran a team I wouldn't do that." But if any team wants to run over the 10.5 and change and fork over the 4 firsts.. go ahead and take the risk. Any compensation under the 4 firsts and Dubas will match. Ball is completely in our court here.
    Do we have enough cap to match 10 million and retain our other RFAs and fill the remaining roster spots? I know RFA offers aren't something that is common, but eventually some GM is going to see his team drafting in the mid 20s with cap space and pull the trigger. Two late firsts, a second and a third isn't a bad trade for a player like Marner IMO.
    Edit: I only ask because I'm not very aware of the cap situation and moves that can be made to compensate for lack of space. I don't want it to come off as argumentative. You just seem to have a strong grasp of the situation.
    Last edited by CptObvious71; Yesterday at 11:39 AM.

Basically after the KK and AJ extensions and with Horton buried were at about 11M. I'm telling you guys I'll take Panarin+4 firsts anyday of the week and twice on Saturday.

Panarin-Matthews-Nylander
    AJ-JT-KK

Good luck to any team handling that for 4 years min.
    I think Panarin might take 10 from us 10.5. Gets to play on a winning team.for a cup and get endorsement deals and better recognition.

Marner can skip rocks and let's us have 2 first rounders that we can use as huge trade chips to land defensemen to fill out the roster cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    100 says we win at least 8.
    Your on.

Homerism at its finest

This will be the ballsy move Dubas should make like Masai did yo win us a cup.

Remember I heard this on the radio last week. Tavares point totals only went up about 3 or 4 from the year before, Marner went up 25 ish playing with JT. So what if he kills penalties too, we can replace him with guys in bottom 6 that will do the same.

Go big and this is the move to do so. Worst case no one offer sheets marner and his *** can sit at home and lose his bonuses next year. Let these guys learn the hard way.
    Your on.

Homerism at its finest

Quote Originally Posted by CptObvious71 View Post
    Do we have enough cap to match 10 million and retain our other RFAs and fill the remaining roster spots? I know RFA offers aren't something that is common, but eventually some GM is going to see his team drafting in the mid 20s with cap space and pull the trigger. Two late firsts, a second and a third isn't a bad trade for a player like Marner IMO.
    Edit: I only ask because I'm not very aware of the cap situation and moves that can be made to compensate for lack of space. I don't want it to come off as argumentative. You just seem to have a strong grasp of the situation.
    You're certainly not being argumentative. You're engaging in dialogue which we need more of around here. Today the Leafs sit at a total cap hit of $67,959,699. The cap next year is at 81.5 million. That leaves us 13,540,301 in space. Kapanen and Johnsson, when they officially sign come in at roughly a combined 6.6. That gets us to 6,940,301 left. So not enough to match right now. Up until day one of the regular season were allowed to go 10% over the cap giving us 8,150,000 we can go over. That's 15,090,301 in space until day 1 of the season when we need to become 100% Cap compliant. So we can match although it would be risky. That means we would need to alleviate some cap space over the summer which a Zaitsev trade or a Connor Brown trade would help. There's also 5.3 million of space we could gain by putting Nathan Horton on LTIR which we didn't do last season.

I'm even starting to confuse myself here. There are other rules that go along with LTIR. Some teams that could offer sheet Marner and not be worried about the picks one really stands out and that's Colorado but they've yet to sign Rantanen.

Some team would need to offer sheet Marner at 10,568,590 Or more to trigger the 4 picks. I think anything under that the Leafs have the means to match and work the cap out by day one of the season. Anything over I'd take the 4 firsts. There's a bunch of other little things involved in my confusing ramble as well but nothing really notable. I hope that helps a little bit and if anyone notices a mistake or two in there point it out please so I can go back to the drawing board. Leafs are up against it bottom line but it's doable.
    Last edited by KingerSox; Yesterday at 09:16 PM.

The Islanders I can't see doing it because Lou wouldn't send a ripple through the league like that although he was forced into the Kovalchuck contract by ownership in NJ. Florida, but they're rumoured to be heavy on Bobrovsky and Panarin. I doubt Steve Yzerman in Detroit would kick start his tenure during rebuild by chucking 4 firsts out the window.

Darren Dreger said today on Overdrive that there are teams that want to talk to Marner but just to see where his camp is at. Not necessarily to exchange figures. End of the day it's just a big game of chicken on Marner's side. Even if he signs a sheet worth the 4 firsts we get 4 firsts and cap space to do surgery to the blue line.

Also reading that teams are scared to give the Leafs 4 firsts and cap space to possibly get revenge.
    Isles would be dumb because then when Barzal is a RFA, good luck. The offer sheet game is not something you want to play. Sure you may get the upper hand then but karma is a *****.

Aside from.this gentlemens agreement they talk about, its moreso being scared of teams getting revenge on you.
    Your on.

Homerism at its finest

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234