Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    Crowder is great for his contract. I don't think he's meant to be a starter, and his contract doesn't reflect that he's a starter. He's only 8 million a year, so what he offers with that cost is really a bargain. Is he perfect? Not at all, but he's a very good player with us. And when he's part of our best lineup last season.

    I would like Harris obviously for my first pick.
    Probably Galinari as my second pick. It's highly rumored that the Clippers are willing to give him away with a second round pick to clear cap space.
    After that I honestly prefer favors, but if we're looking to change things up my next pick is
    Mirotic. He'll be pretty cheap, and we were trying to get him a couple years ago.
    Paul Millsap, it would be cool to have him come back
    Marcus Morris is a stud, would love to have him here.
    and my last pick would be Julius Randle. Although I think Favors is substantially better and wouldn't actually want Randle, but if we dropped favs he's a possibility.
    I like this list. My preferred order would be Harris, Galo, Millsap, Mirotic, and then Favors. I'd rather have Crowder than Morris. Randle is a no for me. Not a good fit for our system.

    My dream scenario would be trade for Galinari and sign Brogdon. Starters would be Brogdon, Mitchell, Ingles, Galinari, and Gobert. 4 out, 1 in. The floor spacing would be legendary. Galo has one year 22.6 left on his deal. Brogdon can be had for 15-20. We can trade Favors, Korver, Exum, or Crowder to make the deal work. This is my dream scenario because it is realistic, Mitchell and Gobert can keep their same roles on the team, and we don't have to pay a PG 30+ per year. Overpaying Conley or Kemba with Gobert and Mitchell contracts coming could kill our ability to improve the team. Harris is an exception because he is likely such a good fit.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I like this list. My preferred order would be Harris, Galo, Millsap, Mirotic, and then Favors. I'd rather have Crowder than Morris. Randle is a no for me. Not a good fit for our system.

    My dream scenario would be trade for Galinari and sign Brogdon. Starters would be Brogdon, Mitchell, Ingles, Galinari, and Gobert. 4 out, 1 in. The floor spacing would be legendary. Galo has one year 22.6 left on his deal. Brogdon can be had for 15-20. We can trade Favors, Korver, Exum, or Crowder to make the deal work. This is my dream scenario because it is realistic, Mitchell and Gobert can keep their same roles on the team, and we don't have to pay a PG 30+ per year. Overpaying Conley or Kemba with Gobert and Mitchell contracts coming could kill our ability to improve the team. Harris is an exception because he is likely such a good fit.
    My biggest problem with Gallo is there is a very high chance he gets hurt and misses a good portion of the season.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    22,520
    I disagree with the need for a stretch 4. I think they are just going to be happy with whoever they get, but I think we need another shot creator. Ingles gets shut down too easy if you put a good defender on him. id ont' think harris is a shot creator as much as he is a shot taker. problem is that pretty much limits my options to kemba walker which probably isn't happening.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    I disagree with the need for a stretch 4. I think they are just going to be happy with whoever they get, but I think we need another shot creator. Ingles gets shut down too easy if you put a good defender on him. id ont' think harris is a shot creator as much as he is a shot taker. problem is that pretty much limits my options to kemba walker which probably isn't happening.
    I think you make a good point. I was considering a stretch 4 and a shot creator the same thing... but that isn't always the case. I think it is with Galinari and Harris, they can run the offense and create offense. Not all stretch 4s are able to do that. If we get a stretch 4 without upgrading our other positions, then we need to ensure that stretch 4 can create shots.

    I have been listening to alot of podcasts and the Jazz REALLY want to keep Favors. They like him alot. So alot of the talk is on how we can keep Favors while help stretch the floor better (which means adding a shooter / shot creater at PG or SG)

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    22,520
    I love favors, but unless he is willing to take a significant paycut or we just can't get someone better I don't see how we can keep him. we can't be paying 16 million for a guy to play 25 minutes a game and 12 minutes in the playoffs when we have so many other holes to fill. if we had the cap space to sign someone and keep favors sure, but we obviously can't do that.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    965
    Which option do you prefer this offseason?

    Option 1- go all in on a point guard and let Crowder start. (Conley, Jrue, Kemba, D’Angelo, Lowry)

    Option 2- Spida to be our PG, start Royce at the 2, and go all in on Tobias Harris

    Option 3- Pay Harris anything he wants and sign a PG with whatever we have left.

    Option 4- Resign Rubio and find a 2nd tier stretch 4 (Mirotic, Millsap)

    Option 5- Resign Favors and find a 2nd tier PG that can shoot (Brogdon, Dragic, Beverley, Dinwiddie)

    Option 6- Let Rubio and Favors go and sign a second tier PG and PF (Mirotic, Millsap, Brogdon, Dragic, Beverley, Dinwiddie)

    Option 7- Resign Rubio and Favors and sign more shooting

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    I love favors, but unless he is willing to take a significant paycut or we just can't get someone better I don't see how we can keep him. we can't be paying 16 million for a guy to play 25 minutes a game and 12 minutes in the playoffs when we have so many other holes to fill. if we had the cap space to sign someone and keep favors sure, but we obviously can't do that.
    This has been my frustration for a while. Only spend money on the players that will be in the game the final 5 minutes. We can get a decent backup center for much less.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    965
    Is there a scenario where we can pay big dollars to a top PG and then go into the luxury tax to keep Favors? Other teams appear to work the cap much better than we do.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    22,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Is there a scenario where we can pay big dollars to a top PG and then go into the luxury tax to keep Favors? Other teams appear to work the cap much better than we do.
    I actually don't think so because he is a non garunteed so I think we lose his bird rights if we decline his contract. I would also disagree about the cap space part. our team has pretty good contracts with the exception of exum

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,477
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    I actually don't think so because he is a non garunteed so I think we lose his bird rights if we decline his contract. I would also disagree about the cap space part. our team has pretty good contracts with the exception of exum
    That Exum contract is an abomination. Didn't seem too bad at the time but it just looks worse by the day.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,451
    If we can trade the Exum contract and Korver retires we can sign a max money PG. That's pretty much the only way to get a max though.

    Tony Jones mentioned that the Jazz are looking at Gortat as a backup Center. He would be a really great replacement for Epke Udoh, and could remove the need for Favors all-together. At this point though, you're right. He's an expensive backup Center, which is essentially what we're using him as. If we replaced him with someone like Harris we would be much better off.

    Now, I LOVE Favors, and it would pain me to see him go. But he might be better on a team that needs a starting Center at this point. Because he's just not as good as Gobert.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,329
    I know everyone is down on Exum and it seems like a broke record in defending him and expecting him to emerge into a really good player, but right now he looks like a negative value contract... but if he comes back and plays really well in a few games... he could look like a steal. At the end of the day, he is now the same age as some of the rookies will be coming into the NBA THIS season. Though it has been frustrating, there is still enough potential to make the patience with it.

    The Jazz right now lack athleticism and play making ability... these are both two things Exum excels at. Top of NBA athleticism and he can get into the paint anytime he wants. That is REALLY valuable, especially in the playoffs. If we are builing a team to win a championship, it is worth the gamble to stay patient with a player that could potentially be a difference maker in the playoffs. So I do not want to trade him, both because of his potential and because he is a negative value contract right now, but it could only take a few weeks of basketball to flip that upside down.



    Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    If we can trade the Exum contract and Korver retires we can sign a max money PG. That's pretty much the only way to get a max though.

    Tony Jones mentioned that the Jazz are looking at Gortat as a backup Center. He would be a really great replacement for Epke Udoh, and could remove the need for Favors all-together. At this point though, you're right. He's an expensive backup Center, which is essentially what we're using him as. If we replaced him with someone like Harris we would be much better off.

    Now, I LOVE Favors, and it would pain me to see him go. But he might be better on a team that needs a starting Center at this point. Because he's just not as good as Gobert.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •