Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Round 5: Pick 143: LB Ryan Connelly Wisconsin

More defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing i noticed is that our draft has a Belichickian feel to it. If you look at the Pats defense, they have a surplus of DBs and do a terrific job using them in various schemes during games. We drafted Baker and Love, who along with JJ, Beal and Haley gives us a nice and promising rotation considering Beal, Baker & Love were projected top 60 prospects.

Also, the Pats are known for getting big bodied DTs who can stop the run and collapse the pocket just enough for the LBs & pass rushers to get to the QB. In recent years, the pats have been successful stopping the run and disrupting plays in the backfield with a rotation of tackles like Malcolm Brown, Lawrence Guy, Adam Butler, etc. I actually see some Vince Wilfork in Dexter Lawrence and if he gets double teamed and clogs the middle, then expect Hill, Tomlinson, Macintosh and the LBs to get to the QB.

When you watch the Pats defense in games, especially early in the season, their Dline struggles to get to the qb and their LBs often miss their assignments but their secondary is what stands out throughout the season and shuts down opposing teams in the redzone. With solid starting DBs and overall depth in the secondary, we can very well look like the Pats. Coupled with a strong season from our edge guys Golden & Carter and some contribution from Ximines and any other newcoming pass rushers, the D can be quite a surprise.

Well they drafted another DB in the six round.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Well they drafted another DB in the six round.

Bettcher’s system involves lots of blitzes and i think he intends on using guys like Peppers to blitz more. One of the DBs we drafted could also be moved to S, at least until Jenkins leaves.