Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 76 to 85 of 85
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    47,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks All Day View Post
    Daniel Jones was not my preference at 6. Josh Rosen was, especially at his price tag. We could have used 6, 17, and 37 on defense and traded back into the 2nd for Rosen. Think that would have been the best use of our assets.

    However, that's not the way we went. And Giants fans don't need to eviscerate Jones like most are. The vast majority of us have never seen him play beyond YouTube highlights. And the more people evaluate him, the more we seem to be coming around on him.

    He played with no one. To put it into perspective, Oklahoma is an NFL producing powerhouse. Ohio State had 8 players besides Haskins drafted. Jones had 2 teammates even invited to the combine. The fact he managed 8 wins with that team is pretty darn impressive.

    Arm strength is noted as an issue, but that can be improved upon. We have seen Eli do it, and with NFL coaching & workouts, Jones can do it as well. I love his accuracy on short and intermediate routes. The way we're built with Saquon, Tate, Engram, Shep, etc., that's going to be the Giants offense. The deep ball was missing, but our only deep threat is on the Browns anyway. He has a really good pocket presence about him, which will help with our developing line (which should be a lot better). Can't go by his completion percentage in college. As so many have seen now, he played with scrubs who dropped wide open passes. Given a guy like Haskins' teammates, Jones might be a 65-68% completion guy. As I have said, he wouldn't have been my pick. But in all fairness, most fans have absolutely no idea what we're talking about, especially when it comes to prospect evaluation. If Eli starts the season poorly again, Jones should get in the game sooner than later. I do think he'll surprise people. The last thing I want to see, though, is a 2-5 start and then 9 games of the Eli Appreciation Tour.
    Well said.

    Based on some of the bombs in his pro day I really donít think strength is the issue. I think itís a matter of just not taking the risk of throwing downfield. Likely has a lot to do with his terrible wr core, but if itís a confidence issue, heíll need to be coached out of that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    47,391
    https://twitter.com/baldynfl/status/...265459712?s=21


  3. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Well said.

    Based on some of the bombs in his pro day I really donít think strength is the issue. I think itís a matter of just not taking the risk of throwing downfield. Likely has a lot to do with his terrible wr core, but if itís a confidence issue, heíll need to be coached out of that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He flashes some good enough arm strength to make the occasional deep throw, but sometimes it can get kind of ugly too. Like there's a 50+ yard bomb he hits against Virginia Tech that goes right on the money with great velocity, throwing off his back foot while basically getting tackled (that ends up being dropped), but there are also throws where his arm kind of fails short.

    It may not be necessarily a weakness, but I do think it's at least a question mark. Honestly the biggest one I have about him.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    28,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    He flashes some good enough arm strength to make the occasional deep throw, but sometimes it can get kind of ugly too. Like there's a 50+ yard bomb he hits against Virginia Tech that goes right on the money with great velocity, throwing off his back foot while basically getting tackled (that ends up being dropped), but there are also throws where his arm kind of fails short.

    It may not be necessarily a weakness, but I do think it's at least a question mark. Honestly the biggest one I have about him.
    I agree. I think we must get some Ts upgrades before he plays. I think the arm is good enough and can improve. Iím much more optimistic now than I was after the pick though. Iíve loiked a lot more into him
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,642
    These scouts make way too much of a stink about arm strength IMO. Itís nice to have a cannon but itís better to have accuracy. Yeah you want the ability to zip the ball when you need to but how often do you need to throw a bomb?

    Plus, arm strength is something that can continue to get better with time for these young players.

    Iím confident Jones is plenty strong enough to play. Iím less sure about his accuracy and his ability to read the play after the snap. Not saying he canít do those things well but those were things he did very little of at Duke because his offense was designed for presnap reads and short range tosses.

    Letís see.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    99,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks All Day View Post
    Daniel Jones was not my preference at 6. Josh Rosen was, especially at his price tag. We could have used 6, 17, and 37 on defense and traded back into the 2nd for Rosen. Think that would have been the best use of our assets.

    However, that's not the way we went. And Giants fans don't need to eviscerate Jones like most are. The vast majority of us have never seen him play beyond YouTube highlights. And the more people evaluate him, the more we seem to be coming around on him.

    He played with no one. To put it into perspective, Oklahoma is an NFL producing powerhouse. Ohio State had 8 players besides Haskins drafted. Jones had 2 teammates even invited to the combine. The fact he managed 8 wins with that team is pretty darn impressive.

    Arm strength is noted as an issue, but that can be improved upon. We have seen Eli do it, and with NFL coaching & workouts, Jones can do it as well. I love his accuracy on short and intermediate routes. The way we're built with Saquon, Tate, Engram, Shep, etc., that's going to be the Giants offense. The deep ball was missing, but our only deep threat is on the Browns anyway. He has a really good pocket presence about him, which will help with our developing line (which should be a lot better). Can't go by his completion percentage in college. As so many have seen now, he played with scrubs who dropped wide open passes. Given a guy like Haskins' teammates, Jones might be a 65-68% completion guy. As I have said, he wouldn't have been my pick. But in all fairness, most fans have absolutely no idea what we're talking about, especially when it comes to prospect evaluation. If Eli starts the season poorly again, Jones should get in the game sooner than later. I do think he'll surprise people. The last thing I want to see, though, is a 2-5 start and then 9 games of the Eli Appreciation Tour.
    Am not going to completely ignore his pass rate in college, but yes he had nobody there with him.

    The points you make about his ability to pass on short routes is a good one, Eli sucked *** at those and it will be nice to see a guy that can make those passes.

    I like that he is mobile as well.

    Now as a fan I just have to hope that he does great.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,642
    The kid is our future. And I think if things break right he'll be a solid NFL QB.

    I can't simply ignore all the people who do this for a living who felt he was nowhere near an early 1st round talent simply because DG thought he was. I think the criticisms of the kid are legitimate and you can't simply chalk up a person's failings to "well his team sucked". A great quarterback elevates everyone around him, so I just don't buy into that as much.

    All that said, his strengths seem to be that he is athletic, mobile, makes good pre-snap reads, and is accurate in the short to intermediate game - and that he apparently makes good, clean football decisions. Those are all excellent traits to have as a QB.

    I don't think we see him much in 2019 because I think Eli will have a very good year as the team improves around him. I think we'll see Jones in 2020-21.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    47,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    He flashes some good enough arm strength to make the occasional deep throw, but sometimes it can get kind of ugly too. Like there's a 50+ yard bomb he hits against Virginia Tech that goes right on the money with great velocity, throwing off his back foot while basically getting tackled (that ends up being dropped), but there are also throws where his arm kind of fails short.

    It may not be necessarily a weakness, but I do think it's at least a question mark. Honestly the biggest one I have about him.
    Itís so funny. I feel like you could switch ďJonesĒ for ďEliĒ in most of these evaluations and not miss a beat. Jones at least appears to be quicker in his movements and better footwork.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Itís so funny. I feel like you could switch ďJonesĒ for ďEliĒ in most of these evaluations and not miss a beat. Jones at least appears to be quicker in his movements and better footwork.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I do think he could very well be a much more athletic and so then more suited for the modern NFL Eli-like QB.The most kind comparisons I've seen also mention Peyton. Wouldn't mind if he turned out to be either.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    28,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    Yeah, I do think he could very well be a much more athletic and so then more suited for the modern NFL Eli-like QB.The most kind comparisons I've seen also mention Peyton. Wouldn't mind if he turned out to be either.
    If heís a faster Eli or faster Peyton then Iíd say we hit this out of the park
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •