Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Next Seasons Lines?

There will be change next season but how much change under Stevie do we see? Do we buy out Neilson ($13.5m) or Abby ($14.25M)? Do we trade Glendening finally? How about Helm and his $6M contract for the next two seasons? Finally, will SY bring in some FA? Right now, here is how I would line them up:

Bert/Larkin/Mantha

Helm/AA/Zadina

Hirose/Rass/Svechnikov

Glendening/Neilson/Abby

Ehn, De La Rose, and possibly Valeno waiting in the wings to take over somewhere.

I don't like Helm in a top 6 role but I am also not sure who I would sub there, potentially Svech if he is healthy and then bump helm down to line 4 and Nielson line 3. Maybe a free agent depending on how things shake out. Glenny and Abby are definitely line 4. Top line is set barring a guy like Panarin coming to Detroit but I doubt that happens.

Looking at the defensive lines, you first need to look at how bad our current players are with the plus/minus stat. The only defensemen we had in the positives was Danny D with a +2. The rest were negative and some were REALLY negative. Green and Bowey were at -1 for the year but Ericsson (-10), Hicketts (-9 in only 22 games), and Cholowski (-20 in 52 games) were pretty bad. So, my first thought is we need a vet defenseman who specializes in solid defense. I came up with four names that would be between $850K and $2M a year. First the two more expensive ones which my guess has them at about $2M a year for 2 years:

Jordie Benn (32)- a +15 with 22 points- which would put him 4th on our team in D scoring as well as being a great defensive player.
    Ben Chiarot (28)- a +6 with 20 points- very good defense and adds toughness (62 PM) as well.

The following guys at my guess would be one year contracts at no more than $1M:

Tim Heed (28)- a +9 with 13 points- RH shot who only played 37 games so could be much more valuable with more ice time.
    Taylor Fedun (31)- a +2 with 11 points- RH shot who could be a solid 3rd lineman paired with a young player.

All these guys listed would be much better than Ericsson, Daley, and asking Kronwall back. I see us parting ways with all three of these guys (buyout, release, or letting go in FA). Here's the way I would like to see Stevie move forward at the blue line next season:

DeKeyser (L)/Hronek (R)- pair made in heaven as Hronek's offensive game continues to improve!!

Green (L)/Bowey (R)- I think Bowey has some nice potential, especially paired with Green. The more ice time Bowey gets the better he will play, IMO

Cholowski (L) or Oliwer Kaski (R)/Jordie Benn (L)- I prefer Benn to the others listed so I put him here. Either youngster will benefit greatly next to Benn.

So, I was hoping some of the young guys would play themselves on to the roster but it really didn't work out that way yet. It's a less inspiring guess at the lines but judging from what I saw in the preseason, here is how I would line them up:

Bertuzzi/Larkin/Mantha- no brainer

Anthanasiou/Filppula/Hirose- AA and Hirose seem like a really nice match and Fil will help distribute the puck

Erne/Nielsen/Glendening- I think this will be a tough line for other teams and will score more than you think

Helm/De La Rose (or Ehn)/Abby- Not much here but it is what it is right now

Defense Pairings:

Green/DeKeyser

Nemeth/Hronek

Bowey/Cholowski

Yikes the last two lines but without the young kids taking the next step this is what we are stuck with. Injuries will happen no doubt though so I imagine Zadina, Svech, and Rass will be up at somepoint.

I would to actually see an Erne, Rass, Svech line and a Glending, Valeno, Zadina line. Kind of a ruff and tumble scoring line and a finesse scoring line. Maybe soon.