Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by McAllen Tx View Post
    Don't be surprised if the Lakers get sold within the next 2 years. That is if we don't get another superstar this summer to take over after LBJ retires nor AD the following summer.

Her seemingly unwilling to commit any long term money to anything that's not top notch has me thinking this. She probably saw that she missed the boat on selling the Lakers at it's highest during Kobes last seasons, can't make the same mistake with LBJ. I can see her milking the Lakers for the next 1 1/2 years then selling before LBJ can opt out.
    I doubt it that jeanie would sell anytime soon. The thing is that from a business perspective, the lakers are arguably the most successful franchise in the league when you factor in the fanbase all over the world, the tv deals, sponsors, and ratings. The important thing is that no matter whether we're losing or winning, the lakers are always booming in terms of profit. So as fans we're dissatisfied that we're losing, but it's an insanely profitable franchise, and thus successful business. And the interesting thing is that we don't need a superstar to continue to be a draw. We really haven't had a big name since Kobe retired, but we've still been doing great as a business (not as far as winning, but as far as drawing in revenue). For these reasons, there's really no motivation to sell.
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 04-29-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Soooooooo when is this happenin??!!

Quote Originally Posted by LaVar Ball View Post
    Soooooooo when is this happenin??!!
    The moment she realizes she isn't playing with monopoly money.
    Which would be about the same time it dawns on her and her "bestie" they're in a field with people that does what they think they can do and is professionals at it.

Jeanie has that "For sale" sign out front...that "Everything must go" sign within 5yrs...and that's probably stretching it tbh.

Her emotional driven decisions is flat out crippling the franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if some stank-rich dude or group comes along and offer to buy. Just like I wouldn't be surprised if her Dad's gene kicks in and she starts making more astute basketball decisions. Now, The likelihood of the latter happening may not be great...but hey what do you want from me

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    I doubt it that jeanie would sell anytime soon. The thing is that from a business perspective, the lakers are arguably the most successful franchise in the league when you factor in the fanbase all over the world, the tv deals, sponsors, and ratings. The important thing is that no matter whether we're losing or winning, the lakers are always booming in terms of profit. So as fans we're dissatisfied that we're losing, but it's an insanely profitable franchise, and thus successful business. And the interesting thing is that we don't need a superstar to continue to be a draw. We really haven't had a big name since Kobe retired, but we've still been doing great as a business (not as far as winning, but as far as drawing in revenue). For these reasons, there's really no motivation to sell.
    I'm thinking more in the lines of her not wanting the criticism and headache anymore and wants to sell at it's highest in the immediate future.

But tbh though, owning the Lakers is what gives her status in life. Right now she's Jeanie Buss, owner of the Los Angeles Lakers. If she were to sell she'd then be, just another rich chic that inherited all her money.

I'm thinking more in the lines of her not wanting the criticism and headache anymore and wants to sell at it's highest in the immediate future.

But tbh though, owning the Lakers is what gives her status in life. Right now she's Jeanie Buss, owner of the Los Angeles Lakers. If she were to sell she'd then be, just another rich chic that inherited all her money.
    Yeah, I think the prestige thing is also a big factor. It might honestly be better if she sold the team, but I don't see that happening any time soon. It does bother me that she seems to interject herself on basketball matters (e.g., vocalizing support for the coach or young players, discussing trades with the media, etc.). Her job should be what it was always intended to be, which was purely the business aspect of basketball and not the actual basketball. Her other siblings who are on the board should do what they can to keep this sort of thing from happening.

Yeah, I think the prestige thing is also a big factor. It might honestly be better if she sold the team, but I don't see that happening any time soon. It does bother me that she seems to interject herself on basketball matters (e.g., vocalizing support for the coach or young players, discussing trades with the media, etc.). Her job should be what it was always intended to be, which was purely the business aspect of basketball and not the actual basketball. Her other siblings who are on the board should do what they can to keep this sort of thing from happening.
    She did be very vocal this past season opposed to other seasons but me personally didn't mind it. The media was having a field day implying that LBJ was running the team. LBJ wants Walton fired so he's gonna eventually be gone, LBJ wants a certain player - get him that player no matter the cost, whatever LBJ wants LBJ gets. I took it that she put her foot down and let everyone know that she's still boss and no single player is calling shots. Not even LBJ.

She did be very vocal this past season opposed to other seasons but me personally didn't mind it. The media was having a field day implying that LBJ was running the team. LBJ wants Walton fired so he's gonna eventually be gone, LBJ wants a certain player - get him that player no matter the cost, whatever LBJ wants LBJ gets. I took it that she put her foot down and let everyone know that she's still boss and no single player is calling shots. Not even LBJ.
    ya, I didn't mind her chiming in on those matters. Lebron is an employee. An important one but still an employee.

Special Ops Kitty

My issue with it isn't related to LBJ, LBJ can sit out for all I care (and I don't think we should do anything to try to appease him). My issue is that basketball decisions were never intended to be her role with the team and for good reasons, as she's not really an expert in basketball matters, per se.

The problem is that no respected executive (gm or president of basketball operations) will want to take a role on a team that has an owner who chimes in on those matters, especially when they are perceived as not know what they are talking about. The optics aren't good when that sort of thing happens. The concern would be that the owner will not let them run the team and do the job they were brought in to do.
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 05-01-2019 at 09:31 PM.

My issue with it isn't related to LBJ, LBJ can sit out for all I care (and I don't think we should do anything to try to appease him). My issue is that basketball decisions were never intended to be her role with the team and for good reasons, as she's not really an expert in basketball matters, per se.

The problem is that no respected executive (gm or president of basketball operations) will want to take a role on a team that has an owner who chimes in on those matters, especially when they are perceived as not know what they are talking about. The optics aren't good when that sort of thing happens. The concern would be that the owner will not let them run the team and do the job they were brought in to do.
    I agree with this and have even been saying this in regards to Uriji. How much power would he actually have if he were to take the PBO job in LA. How maybe Jeanie might try and force Rambis on him could be a deal breaker. How much would he have to run by Jeanie to do his job. I agree that any top executive would be turned off by this.

But to be fair though, when did Jeanie really start to stick her neck out? She stayed out of Mitch and Jim's way. She gave them a long enough rope to where they hung themselves. At the beginning of Pelinkas and Magics tenure she stayed out the way. Yes she did do a few interviews where she said she had total trust in them. They did run everything by her but she never opposed them on anything. At the beginning of the season she wasn't really heard or seen other then her stating her excitement for team after the LBJ signing.

When I remember her getting out there was after the 10 day AD fiasco. It was later reported that she was the one that put a halt on the AD trade after like the 7th day. It was reported that she even voiced out loud about trading LBJ because she was tired of this portrayal that Klutch was running the Lakers. That's when everything that seemed to be LBJ/Klutch influenced she countered with saying it's not happening.

Me personally think she is capable of sitting back and letting a strong executive run the show. He would have to have a spine though and not let the Lakers brand be murdered in the media as weak. He would have to put the Lakers best interest 1st and not LBJs. That's where I think Magic messed up, I think he made promises to LBJ and was more focused on fulfilling his promises to LBJ then being focused on what's the Lakers best interest.
    Last edited by McAllen Tx; 05-02-2019 at 02:49 AM.

I agree with this and have even been saying this in regards to Uriji. How much power would he actually have if he were to take the PBO job in LA. How maybe Jeanie might try and force Rambis on him could be a deal breaker. How much would he have to run by Jeanie to do his job. I agree that any top executive would be turned off by this.

But to be fair though, when did Jeanie really start to stick her neck out? She stayed out of Mitch and Jim's way. She gave them a long enough rope to where they hung themselves. At the beginning of Pelinkas and Magics tenure she stayed out the way. Yes she did do a few interviews where she said she had total trust in them. They did run everything by her but she never opposed them on anything. At the beginning of the season she wasn't really heard or seen other then her stating her excitement for team after the LBJ signing.

When I remember her getting out there was after the 10 day AD fiasco. It was later reported that she was the one that put a halt on the AD trade after like the 7th day. It was reported that she even voiced out loud about trading LBJ because she was tired of this portrayal that Klutch was running the Lakers. That's when everything that seemed to be LBJ/Klutch influenced she countered with saying it's not happening.

Me personally think she is capable of sitting back and letting a strong executive run the show. He would have to have a spine though and not let the Lakers brand be murdered in the media as weak. He would have to put the Lakers best interest 1st and not LBJs. That's where I think Magic messed up, I think he made promises to LBJ and was more focused on fulfilling his promises to LBJ then being focused on what's the Lakers best interest.
    Yeah, I agree. I think as long as Jeannie shows that she's not going to interfere it won't be a problem.

I'm really hoping we don't hire Lue, because that will basically mean LBJ is the coach.

Yeah, I agree. I think as long as Jeannie shows that she's not going to interfere it won't be a problem.

I'm really hoping we don't hire Lue, because that will basically mean LBJ is the coach.
    Honestly, the only reason I think they haven't hired him or Williams is because they're waiting to try and poach Ujiri from Toronto. If they can do that, they're just gonna let him hire his coach. If they can't get Ujiri then I think it's a toss up between Lue and Williams. Either one and LBJ will be the coach. Lue simply a baggage handler and Williams doesn't have the clout to coach LBJ. He will eventually turn into a baggage handler.
    Last edited by McAllen Tx; 05-03-2019 at 05:26 AM.

Honestly, the only reason I think they haven't hired him or Williams is because they're waiting to try and poach Ujiri from Toronto. If they can do that, they're just gonna let him hire his coach. If they can't get Ujiri then I think it's a toss up between Lue and Williams. Either one and LBJ will be the coach. Lue simply a baggage handler and Williams doesn't have the clout to coach LBJ. He will eventually turn into a baggage handler.
    Williams is going to Phoenix but the Ujiry idea is a good one. You never know they might have already spoken to him and he might already have someone in mind. Itís a stretch but Iím trying to be positive.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow42 View Post
    Williams is going to Phoenix but the Ujiry idea is a good one. You never know they might have already spoken to him and he might already have someone in mind. Itís a stretch but Iím trying to be positive.
    Looks like we're going the Lou route, which I am very unhappy about. Hopefully it doesn't go down.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow42 View Post
    I really doubt that the Lakers have talked to Ujiri. That would be really bad for both the Lakers and Ujiri if they've talked without the Raptors permission. Bad enough to where I believe the NBA could even block the hiring.

As for Williams to Phoenix I knew it was only a matter of time. He could actually coach there.

Then there's Lue to the Lakers picking up speed, I think it's media BS. The Lakers shouldn't be in any rush to hire Lue cause believe me, he will still be available in a month from now. IMO hiring Lue destroys whatever little chance we have in getting Ujiri. Why would he want to go to a place where he'll be stuck with other people's personnel?

We've gone this long without a coach what's another week or 2. Even 3 if needed. Just talk to Ujiri 1st before hiring a coach. Lue ain't going anywhere.

15. 05-04-2019, 05:15 AM

16. 05-04-2019, 10:17 AM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12