Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    I like X, I still think him and Thornhill would have worked well together. But I value safeties that can cover more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I value pass coverage ability in safeties the most too especially considering the top 4 teams left in last years playoffs happened to be the top 4 offensive teams.

Pollard and Hill probably will be the players that get on the field early. Pollard is explosive at returning kicks and can play the Lance Dunbar role in a lot of plays. Hill, if he listens to Marinelli, will be given a shot at that defensive tackle position that they need.

Looking back at the past few drafts, the Cowboys have done really well. With possibly the exception of Taco Charlton. Gregory is a talent, but his suspension problems make the pick dubious when better options were avialable.

2018 draft
    Round 1
    Vander Esch
    Round 2
    Connor Williams
    Round 3
    Michael Gallup

2017 draft
    Round 1
    Taco Charlton
    Round 2
    Awuzie
    Round 3
    Jourdan Lewis
    Round 4
    Ryan Switzer
    Round 6
    Xavier Woods

2016 NFL Draft
    Round 1
    Zeke
    Round 2
    Jaylon Smith
    Round 3
    Maliek Collins
    Round 4
    Charles Tapper and Dak Prescott
    Round 6
    Anthony Brown
    Kavon Frazier
    Darius Jackson
    Rico Gathers

2015 NFL Draft
    Round 1
    Byron Jones
    Round 2
    Randy Gregory
    Round 2
    Chaz Green
    Round 7
    Geoff Swaim

2014 NFL Draft
    Round 1
    Zack Martin (over Johnny Manziel)
    Round 2
    Demarcus Lawrence
    Round 4
    Anthony Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Looking back at the past few drafts, the Cowboys have done really well. With possibly the exception of Taco Charlton. Gregory is a talent, but his suspension problems make the pick dubious when better options were avialable.

2018 draft
    Round 1
    Vander Esch
    Round 2
    Connor Williams
    Round 3
    Michael Gallup

2017 draft
    Round 1
    Taco Charlton
    Round 2
    Awuzie
    Round 3
    Jourdan Lewis
    Round 4
    Ryan Switzer
    Round 6
    Xavier Woods

2016 NFL Draft
    Round 1
    Zeke
    Round 2
    Jaylon Smith
    Round 3
    Maliek Collins
    Round 4
    Charles Tapper and Dak Prescott
    Round 6
    Anthony Brown
    Kavon Frazier
    Darius Jackson
    Rico Gathers

2015 NFL Draft
    Round 1
    Byron Jones
    Round 2
    Randy Gregory
    Round 2
    Chaz Green
    Round 7
    Geoff Swaim
    If you look back at that Gregory draft the only guy that was clearly a better talent was Frank Clark. You have to factor in that at the time of the draft Clark also had off field domestic violence rumors surrounding him. So for the Cowboys it came down to, take the pot head or the woman beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    If you look back at that Gregory draft the only guy that was clearly a better talent was Frank Clark. You have to factor in that at the time of the draft Clark also had off field domestic violence rumors surrounding him. So for the Cowboys it came down to, take the pot head or the woman beater.

Yeah, Gregory is a real talent for sure. He was still able to record 6 sacks and a bunch of hurries last season. I wish we could have seen what this defense looked like with all the guys with off field problems - David Irving, Gregory. I think the Cowboys have done a really good job in the last five years of finding talent. They've taken some educated gambles that have paid off (Jaylon Smith, Demarcus Lawrence) and even Sean Lee a little bit longer ago. It's an improvement over the period before that where a bunch of the picks didn't pan out or were taken over way more talented players.

They’re draft record has been really good since Will McClay took over and Stephen stopped letting Jerry be the final deciding factor on who’s picked. When they stick to their board they’ve really been one of the best in the NFL. It’s just too bad their head coach coaches them down.

They’re draft record has been really good since Will McClay took over and Stephen stopped letting Jerry be the final deciding factor on who’s picked. When they stick to their board they’ve really been one of the best in the NFL. It’s just too bad their head coach coaches them down.

Yeah, it's been outstanding within the last few years. Before our golden period, I recall Jerry trading like 3 high round picks for that wide receiver that didn't pan out because he regretted missing on Randy Moss. We also picked Marcus Spears over Aaron Rodgers and there was a period where most of the picks didn't stick around after a few years. Jerry was also talked out of taking Johnny Manziel instead of Zach Martin.

I read somewhere that Garrett still uses a lot of the concepts from the Norv Turner days, which is great back in the 90s, but the game has evolved since then. Plus, a lot of our receivers comeback routes are pretty predictable and corners know how to defend against those. Bellichek has so many wrinkles that I heard teams have a hard time gameplanning because he rarely shows you the same look. A lot of his receivers aren't even that fast but always seem to be open. The Cowboys has a lot of speed at receiver and running back so there's no reason why this team is at the bottom of passing again this season.

Yeah, it's been outstanding within the last few years. Before our golden period, I recall Jerry trading like 3 high round picks for that wide receiver that didn't pan out because he regretted missing on Randy Moss. We also picked Marcus Spears over Aaron Rodgers and there was a period where most of the picks didn't stick around after a few years. Jerry was also talked out of taking Johnny Manziel instead of Zach Martin.

I read somewhere that Garrett still uses a lot of the concepts from the Norv Turner days, which is great back in the 90s, but the game has evolved since then. Plus, a lot of our receivers comeback routes are pretty predictable and corners know how to defend against those. Bellichek has so many wrinkles that I heard teams have a hard time gameplanning because he rarely shows you the same look. A lot of his receivers aren't even that fast but always seem to be open. The Cowboys has a lot of speed at receiver and running back so there's no reason why this team is at the bottom of passing again this season.
    Jerry actually did that twice. First he traded two 1st for Joey Galloway and then he traded a 1st and a 3rd for WR Roy Williams. Galloway. Lee his knee out his first year in Dallas and Williams was a scrub.

Jerry actually did that twice. First he traded two 1st for Joey Galloway and then he traded a 1st and a 3rd for WR Roy Williams. Galloway. Lee his knee out his first year in Dallas and Williams was a scrub.

I wonder how much losing those 3 first round picks and that 3rd set us back....or not getting Randy Moss. Randy Moss is one of those few players I'd pay money to go see. Jerry Rice is supposed to be the greatest receiver, but I actually think that Moss is physically harder to stop with his freakish speed and athleticism. He'd have been even greater if he had hooked up with a genius mastermind in his prime. I read somewhere that we lost a couple of our scouts to the Raiders recently.

I wonder how much losing those 3 first round picks and that 3rd set us back....or not getting Randy Moss. Randy Moss is one of those few players I'd pay money to go see. Jerry Rice is supposed to be the greatest receiver, but I actually think that Moss is physically harder to stop with his freakish speed and athleticism. He'd have been even greater if he had hooked up with a genius mastermind in his prime. I read somewhere that we lost a couple of our scouts to the Raiders recently.
    Passing on Moss was a huge error. I can understand why they did it at the time though. The Cowboys were coming off of all the Michael Irvin drama and wanted to distance themselves from players with major off field issues. Everyone knew Moss was a HOF talent but he had major warts coming out of school. I mean he got kicked off a Florida St team where pretty much anything went. So they took the “good guy” Greg Ellis who was a really solid player for a lot of years. He was no Randy Moss though.

Passing on Moss was a huge error. I can understand why they did it at the time though. The Cowboys were coming off of all the Michael Irvin drama and wanted to distance themselves from players with major off field issues. Everyone knew Moss was a HOF talent but he had major warts coming out of school. I mean he got kicked off a Florida St team where pretty much anything went. So they took the “good guy” Greg Ellis who was a really solid player for a lot of years. He was no Randy Moss though.

It's a crapshoot for sure. Though, it seems like the Cowboys for the last five years have been coming out aces above the league average on picks. They've either picked stars or useful players versus whiffing quite a bit or missing huge stars in the Romo era. Do you think they are just hiring more talented evaulators or using more advanced analytics? The Browns for the last decade (before the last 3 years) and the Jets (before the last 2 years) were incredibly bad with their picks. I remember watching clips of Randy Moss on NFL Total Access racing down the sidelines for 3 touchdowns against the Cowboys with his freakish speed and imagining what that would have looked like if he was wearing a Cowboys uniform. You don't even need to be that accurate, you'd just have to chuck it up there and Randy seems to be be able to outjump 3 guys to snatch the ball.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys are quietly discussing extensions with Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith and Amari. They are waiting to do that with Zeke. A few sites have done that math and pointed out the Cowboys are able to keep them all even if they are paid a competitive rate. Of course, if the Cowboys pay some outrageous contract, then it throws a monkey wrench into everything.

It's a crapshoot for sure. Though, it seems like the Cowboys for the last five years have been coming out aces above the league average on picks. They've either picked stars or useful players versus whiffing quite a bit or missing huge stars in the Romo era. Do you think they are just hiring more talented evaulators or using more advanced analytics? The Browns for the last decade (before the last 3 years) and the Jets (before the last 2 years) were incredibly bad with their picks. I remember watching clips of Randy Moss on NFL Total Access racing down the sidelines for 3 touchdowns against the Cowboys with his freakish speed and imagining what that would have looked like if he was wearing a Cowboys uniform. You don't even need to be that accurate, you'd just have to chuck it up there and Randy seems to be be able to outjump 3 guys to snatch the ball.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys are quietly discussing extensions with Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith and Amari. They are waiting to do that with Zeke. A few sites have done that math and pointed out the Cowboys are able to keep them all even if they are paid a competitive rate. Of course, if the Cowboys pay some outrageous contract, then it throws a monkey wrench into everything.
    Their drafts have been much better pretty much since they put Will McClay in charge of scouting. I remember when they drafted Travis Fredrick I was PISSED! I remember Jerry giving McClay credit for making that pick and the next year McClay got promoted. Ever since that Fredrick pick they have been listening to him and it’s been paying off. If Jerry didn’t insist on continuing to hold the GM title I have no doubt that McClay would get that role.

As for The contracts they are working out, I still will not be surprised if Byron Jones is traded. Of all the guys that they need to resign he seems like the most easily replaceable (with Kris Richard coaching the secondary). His value is also extremely high.

Their drafts have been much better pretty much since they put Will McClay in charge of scouting. I remember when they drafted Travis Fredrick I was PISSED! I remember Jerry giving McClay credit for making that pick and the next year McClay got promoted. Ever since that Fredrick pick they have been listening to him and it’s been paying off. If Jerry didn’t insist on continuing to hold the GM title I have no doubt that McClay would get that role.

As for The contracts they are working out, I still will not be surprised if Byron Jones is traded. Of all the guys that they need to resign he seems like the most easily replaceable (with Kris Richard coaching the secondary). His value is also extremely high.

I pretty much give the Cowboys brass the benefit of the doubt now when they make picks because they have been so good the last few years, whereas maybe 7 years ago, it was nervous time. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't. It's not even just hitting on the picks, McClay seems to get value at the position he's picking at. Some teams might be able to get talent, but they pick way too high or give up way too much for a player (Mike Ditka giving his entire draft for a running back). The mentality seems to be trying to find those blue chip players and taking a gamble on them. Jaylon Smith was graded as probably the most talented player, but because of that injury teams were scared. They must have some inspired research on that. I know the Cowboy had a team doctor, but that was still a huge gamble.

I'd still prefer that they hold on to Byron Jones. He's one of the few players who has the footspped to keep up with most of the speedy receivers. He tested through the roof on his speed and ability to jump...and clocks as one of the fastest game speed guys with pads. He's been able to lock down guys and allow the Cowboys rotate help to the other side. Awuzie has very good hands so they are a good tandem. It gives the Cowboys talent on all 3 levels. I think that's the McClay thinking. He's going to have speed on all 3 levels. DLawrence is fast for a rusher. Jaylon and LVE are fast at getting to the ball. And Jones is very fast for a corner. With Kris Richard tutoring him, Byron might even take it to the next level. I know that other teams have inquired about him. The Cowboys can draft big corners that Richard likes, but they don't have the blue chip speed and jumping ability of Byron Jones. But, there are several articles out there that detail the complicated ways the Cowboys can to lock down all of these guys, by distributing money here and there. I think that's why they are talking to Dak, Amari, Byron Jones and Jaylon now to see if they can distribute that money earlier.... But, they aren't going as fast on Zeke though. Maybe the Gurley thing has made teams a little nervous. I am looking forward to seeing how this new team looks. They are probably the most balanced roster in decades....and it's through smart drafting. The previous rosters had talent, but always had some kind of Achilles heel flaw.

I remember when they drafted Travis Fredrick I was PISSED!
    Then, you would have been really pissed if they had picked Johnny Manziel over Zack Martin. We were this close to that. Manziel couldn't even hack it in the Canadian football league.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234