Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2019 Cowboys Draft Thread

I guess we should have a place to talk about our picks and possible rumors for the draft since it is right around the corner (starts Thursday).

If Bama RB Damien Harris is on the board when they pick in the 2nd the Cowboys will draft him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping for Jonathan Abram myself. Would be good to snag another young safety to pair with Woods.

Just curious. Would you guys of traded Lawerence to the chiefs for that package?

No. Elite pass rushers and corners are hard to find. There hasn't been a double digit sack artist since Demarcus Ware. It's not just a plug and play. When the game is on the line, you want to have as many playmakers as possible. Sometimes, one elite guy is worth a bunch of pretty good players. Those pretty good players can't elevate their play when it's crunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    No. Elite pass rushers and corners are hard to find. There hasn't been a double digit sack artist since Demarcus Ware. It's not just a plug and play. When the game is on the line, you want to have as many playmakers as possible. Sometimes, one elite guy is worth a bunch of pretty good players. Those pretty good players can't elevate their play when it's crunch time.
    I agree. Was just curious. It would of helped us for the future but killed any ideas of us winning a Super Bowl this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    I agree. Was just curious. It would of helped us for the future but killed any ideas of us winning a Super Bowl this year.
    It's always tricky for GMs. While they want to maximize value, they also have a tight window where they have the collection of talent to go far or even have a chance to win it all. This is the closest we've gotten talent-wise. They pretty much have to have guys that can win now. Even if they go into the draft, it's got to be guys that can contribute right away. No time to wait 3 or so years. It's been a long time where I felt our defense was a force. I feel much better about the athleticism of our receivers this year. We had good receivers in the past, but they weren't the speediest guys. Of course, picks are only as good as the team picking them. The Seahawks were able to build a superbowl team with very low round draft picks. Whereas that team that got a boat load from Mike Ditka's entire draft squandered their picks. I think a lot of teams are kicking themselves for not picking Mahomes. It would have changed the power balance. The rumor that's been floated is that Patrick Peterson is also being dangled with Josh Rosen to sweeten the pot. I just hope that he doesn't get traded to one of our rivals. I like him to stay in Arizona.

Also, I think the Chiefs are like us, in a win now mode. They basically just needed the defense to play well against the Patriots. Mahomes actually outplayed Brady, but the Chiefs defense was so bad.

Interesting proposal from the draft show mock yesterday:

Say your board is wiped or looking that way and you have one of Rapp or Thornhill in the range where your third rounder would allow you to move up. Do you do it?

Say you wait and your board is wiped, say the Cardinals take Murray but a trade for Rosen has not happened yet. Would you offer 58 to Ari for Rosen, sit him a year and instead of paying Dak use that money and the money I feel they will have by not paying Zeke to try to win the next three years with Rosen allowing you to lock pretty much everyone else up, draft well and then pay your QB four years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    I guess we should have a place to talk about our picks and possible rumors for the draft since it is right around the corner (starts Thursday).

This or Debo only if the board is wiped and everyone else is rated far below 58th according to their board. Im not opposed to trading up for a safety even if it means our third rounder but this team has a lot of contracts coming up and everyone isnt getting paid. Its time to start looking for replacements and depth at places like RB and WR. Im not saying Cooper and Gallup will be replaced but Debo gives you three years of security where you dont have to seek free agents on a one year rental.

Also wouldnt be surprised if they take corner at 58. Again they arent going to pay them all and if Richard can get a guy he likes then you dont have to pay Jones. If we dont make a deep run, coach clap is gone and either Peyton or Richard will be the next HC and theres nothing wrong with either scenerio where the defense is stacked .

The Cardinals invested a lot in getting Josh Rosen. I doubt they'll get anywhere near what they gave up. Rosen's stock is down right now. He had one of the worst numbers for a starting QB last year. But, many people speculate it's because the Cardinals are such a bad team. I'd imagine maybe a very good coach could coach him up, but he's definitely a project that would need a lot of building...plus, he's not very mobile.

It will be interesting to see how the Cowboys keep this team together. They have a lot of blue chip players. All of them are young, with great athleticism and their upside is on the rise. Amari and Zeke will be super expensive from what's been speculated on the talk shows. The Cowboys will have to figure out a way to get some really good value in the draft as other than the blue chip players they really can't afford to pay some of the good veterans on the team.

Byron Jones has out of this world athleticism. He tested through the roof on his jumping ability, agility and speed. And he's even faster in games. They clocked him beating almost everyone on game speed. The Cowboys are probably going to find a way to keep him. He's not Morris Claiborne, who we could afford to lose. Jones and Awuzie would be quite a tandem. Jones took the toughest receivers. They tried to pick on Awuzie last year, but he proved worthy of the task. Right now, we won't know who to get at 58 because the Management would have to see who drops at 58. A lot of teams do crazy stuff like picking some guys (usually quarterbacks) a lot higher than expected. Or some stud like a Randy Moss drops well past guys way less talented than him. I sure hope the Cowboys are there with a net to catch one of those guys, regardless of need..

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Just curious. Would you guys of traded Lawerence to the chiefs for that package?
    I don't think so honestly. It was a very good haul for the Seahawks but I think Tank is better than Clark and the first round pick could easily be someone like Taco Charlton to replace D-Law with. I wouldn't have been like mad if we made the deal because it was a big overpay for Clark, but I don't think it would help us win now.

ny giants are a hot mess and it makes me so happy. how in the **** can you take jones there with allen on the board when your defense is terrible and you literally have no pass rush. by the time saquon is used up there under his rookie deal they still wont be in a position to compete.

with the cheap price washington paid to move up 20 spots its time to consider a rocket up the board in the 2nd round. i'm looking at Seattle, they just signed wilson to a huge deal and will need players (volume) to stay competitive. 58, 90 and next years 2nd for Adderly (sp) who was considered the best safety by many in the draft. This team is in win now mode and sure you dont want to part with any picks in any draft especially top 100 picks but you can address RB and WR in the 4th and still address dept at DT in free agency once the deadline passes to sign free agents where a team gets a comp pick back. Suh should be there cause hes not getting the money he wants, Mccoy will be there once hes announces a June 1st cut.

yet again it may not even be possible given all the teams picking before seattle and including seattle could use a safety.

Most of the mock drafts were way off. They probably didn't account for what the Raiders and the Giants would do. What's with the secrecy that Gruden and Mayock were having if they were going to go with those picks? It's not like teams were rushing to leapfrog them to get some of those guys. I really have no idea what the game plan is for the Giants are. Are they in a win now mode? Are they building for the future? Trade away Odell, but sign an older way less talented Golden Tate to a huge contract. Draft the most exciting running back, but have a fading QB to waste his talent away. Then, fail to address an absolutely terrible defense. A lot of people didn't see Daniel Jones as a top 3 QB and the Giants picked him that high!!!

I wonder if this leaves the door open for the Cowboys to make more moves. Maybe, they see some guys they didn't expect to fall into the second round and decide it's too enticing not to trade into the earlier parts of the second round. Maybe some Vets see the Cowboys as a destination to win a ring.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast