Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: Mets at Phils

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Lol, no dude. Guys like Avilan, Familia, Wheeler, Syndergaard, are not going to pitch to 5+ ERAs. You're doing a lot of what most fans, overreacting to small sample sizes.
    That's what I told my last girlfriend before she walked out on me.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I'm sorry about that FOC but aggrandizing for effect still doesn't change facts. Avilan will be only guy who may pitch that poorly if he's on the roster the whole season. Familia won't keep pitching to a 6.5 ERA. Just by happenstance their numbers will get better.

Lol, no dude. Guys like Avilan, Familia, Wheeler, Syndergaard, are not going to pitch to 5+ ERAs. You're doing a lot of what most fans, overreacting to small sample sizes.
    well, i wont argue that degrom will pitch better. but familia has been on a downward trajectory last few years, avilan is a big question mark, wheeler had 3/4 of a great year, not exactly a long track record and Thor, for all his potential, has not pitched to his ability in a long time. so no, im not overreacting, im being realistic. **** always goes sideways for the mets and the unwillingness to pony up money for Keuchel or another reliever this offseason was a mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
    well, i wont argue that degrom will pitch better. but familia has been on a downward trajectory last few years, avilan is a big question mark, wheeler had 3/4 of a great year, not exactly a long track record and Thor, for all his potential, has not pitched to his ability in a long time. so no, im not overreacting, im being realistic. **** always goes sideways for the mets and the unwillingness to pony up money for Keuchel or another reliever this offseason was a mistake...
    Have you looked at their ERAs? Familia hasn't been on a downward trajectory. He had a 3.13 ERA last year with 2.65 FIP. Those are solid numbers. Wheeler won't pitch to a 6 ERA. He had two bad starts against the Nationals and has been better since. Thor is not pitching to a 5 ERA. They've had some bad luck, some wildness, and here's the part people do sleep on, their awful team defense.

That said, these guys won't keep pitching 6, 7, 8 ERAs. That's just typical Met fans narrative of "the world is over". Their pitching should be better where as I expect their offense to get a bit worse. They won't keep scoring 6 runs a game but if they can average near 5 runs, they should be alright.

That said, they do need to upgrade with a 5th starter and bullpen help.

Wheeler's last two start have been solid.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Have you looked at their ERAs? Familia hasn't been on a downward trajectory. He had a 3.13 ERA last year with 2.65 FIP. Those are solid numbers. Wheeler won't pitch to a 6 ERA. He had two bad starts against the Nationals and has been better since. Thor is not pitching to a 5 ERA. They've had some bad luck, some wildness, and here's the part people do sleep on, their awful team defense.

That said, these guys won't keep pitching 6, 7, 8 ERAs. That's just typical Met fans narrative of "the world is over". Their pitching should be better where as I expect their offense to get a bit worse. They won't keep scoring 6 runs a game but if they can average near 5 runs, they should be alright.

That said, they do need to upgrade with a 5th starter and bullpen help.
    I was talking more about the way they were pitching, rather than their ERA. Yes ERA early in the year isnt a good measuring tool, but their PITCHING hasnt been impressive. Hard to argue otherwise considering we've given up the most runs in the NL. Will it get BETTER? by default it almost has to. Will it be good enough to field a playoff team? im dubious

Quote Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
    I was talking more about the way they were pitching, rather than their ERA. Yes ERA early in the year isnt a good measuring tool, but their PITCHING hasnt been impressive. Hard to argue otherwise considering we've given up the most runs in the NL. Will it get BETTER? by default it almost has to. Will it be good enough to field a playoff team? im dubious
    Its been bad but I expect Wheeler, Syndergaard and deGrom to be top of the rotation guys. Presumably not as dominant as last year but still among the top 40 SP in baseball. I understand it hasn't been impressive, its also been 3-4 starts.

I expect the offense to falter some with the pitching to get measurably better. They still need to address their bullpen and their lack of depth in the rotation though even if they right the ship.

Its like Lugo. He had an 8 ERA at one point. Did anyone expect that to continue? Early season sample sizes are not always indicative of a full season performance.

I'm sorry about that FOC but aggrandizing for effect still doesn't change facts. Avilan will be only guy who may pitch that poorly if he's on the roster the whole season. Familia won't keep pitching to a 6.5 ERA. Just by happenstance their numbers will get better.
    Among the things I've learned about baseball In the 50+ years I've been following the sport are these two nuggets: Good players who get off to bad starts get better. And good players who get off to bad starts go on to have bad seasons.

This is baseball. I make no assumptions.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Among the things I've learned about baseball In the 50+ years I've been following the sport are these two nuggets: Good players who get off to bad starts get better. And good players who get off to bad starts go on to have bad seasons.

This is baseball. I make no assumptions.
    That's fair and I'm not saying some of those guys wont have bad years. But bad years to those extents? I don't buy it.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-18-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041