Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

BREAKING NEWS: Notre Dame Cathedral in France nearly burned to the ground

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-upda...173732973.html

Awful Awful sight, only good news is no one has been hurt.
    Fan of Red Sox , Chicago Bears , Boston Celtics , Chase Elliott , UVA, Joshi Puroresu

2018-2019 UVA Men's Basketball National Champions

Right now, the most likely cause is believed to be a mishap during a current renovation. Somebody might have messed up bad.

Is there something significant about this church in particular? I noticed they mentioned that art work was saved.

Good thing nobody was hurt.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Is there something significant about this church in particular? I noticed they mentioned that art work was saved.

Its really really old

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

800 years old. Iconic Catholic Church. On its own it was a major tourist destination. The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo takes place there.

I had never been and really have no desire. But it’s sad to such piece of history burn like that. I really hope this doesn’t all come back to one person. Like the altar boy was lighting the candles and tripped or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    800 years old. Iconic Catholic Church. On its own it was a major tourist destination. The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo takes place there.

I had never been and really have no desire. But it’s sad to such piece of history burn like that. I really hope this doesn’t all come back to one person. Like the altar boy was lighting the candles and tripped or something.
    They also have two important relics of the Catholic faith- a piece of the crown of thorns Jesus wore on his way to be crucified, and a nail from the cross. Both of those artifacts are normally displayed during the Triduum (Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Saturday) so thankfully they were out of the spire due to preparing them for display, or the renovation work. A lot of other medieval artifacts and paintings were removed from the spire at the same time, and they were able to save many of the paintings.

Some folks are still saying foul play, as many Catholic churches in France have been the target of arsons over the past year or so, but the prevailing theory is that it was caused from some of the work being done.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post

Damn that sucks. I’m a sucker for history, I hope that there was no foul play involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

It's the pinnacle of gothic middle aged architecture (more than 3 times the age of the United States) and host to some of the most invaluable artifacts on earth. It's also a symbol of Paris/France and one of the most visited sites on earth.

I have been a few times and you can feel it's gravity when there.

The crown of thorns along with a host of other artifacts were still inside when the fire occurred, but the French firefighters formed a human chain through the fire to at least get the most significant pieces out. This was a potential travesty for France (think the Statue Of Liberty burning down, but if it also held the declaration of independance, the star spangled banner, was 800 years older and wasn't built by France), but could have been much worse.
    Last edited by tredigs; 04-16-2019 at 03:53 PM.

It's the most famous church outside the Vatican.

We were there on our honeymoon a few years ago. It's a busy spot and never went up to the bell towers for that reason. It's really terrible. I read that the part of the roof that caught fire was called the forest because of all the wood. Imagine how dry 800 year old timber is.

Marcron said he wants it rebuilt in 5 years but architects are saying 10-15 years for complete restoration.

Lol I saw people make go fund me pages to fix this place. I couldn’t have facepalmed any harder.

Lol I saw people make go fund me pages to fix this place. I couldn’t have facepalmed any harder.

There's already over a billion Euro raised. A lot is probably big money donations but I'm sure many people will donate. I'm not very religious but that place is a special spot

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    There's already over a billion Euro raised. A lot is probably big money donations but I'm sure many people will donate. I'm not very religious but that place is a special spot
    I probably should’ve expanded on my comment.

I’ve seen go fund me pages from Americans trying to raise money for this. That irks me, go raise money for flint or something else.

If it’s big money donations from the French then that’s awesome, it’s great to see people helping out their country.

I just don’t think that ‘small money’ should be used on something like this and that renovations should be done 100% by the French politicians and French elite.

I probably should’ve expanded on my comment.

I’ve seen go fund me pages from Americans trying to raise money for this. That irks me, go raise money for flint or something else.

If it’s big money donations from the French then that’s awesome, it’s great to see people helping out their country.

I just don’t think that ‘small money’ should be used on something like this and that renovations should be done 100% by the French politicians and French elite.
    How much money have you raised for Flint?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    How much money have you raised for Flint?
    None. But I’ve never made a go fund me page or asked anybody for money.

nice try, though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast