Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Report: Kings Hire Luke Walton as Head Coach

Luke Walton and the Sacramento Kings are progressing rapidly on a deal to make him the franchise’s new coach, league sources tell ESPN. A formal announcement is expected as soon as this weekend.
    https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1117157578356789248

“My team is a super team, just young.” - Kings GM Vlade Divac. June 21, 2018

The Kings and Luke Walton have agreed to terms for him to be the next coach, a source tells @TheAthleticNBA. The length of his deal will be in line with that of Kings GM Vlade Divac, running through the 2022-23 season.
    https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status...60268146982912

Deal is done.

Nice. Well the Kings fooled me this season, for a second I thought there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Not anymore.

Vlade’s always wanted Walton from reports I've heard.

I liked what Walton did with Lakers before LeBron arrived.

Yeah Vlade wanted him in 2016 but obviously Kings weren't in a good position then.

Interesting that Joerger/Walton had identical records in their 3 years with Kings/Lakers.

Good stat from James Ham:

Here is a fun stat. Lakers finished 4th in pace. Kings 5th. Kings shot shot 86 fewer 3-pointers than the Lakers and hit 80 more. Kings 4th best 3-pt shooting team, Lakers 29th. Walton's style is perfect for Kings' roster. He's a good fit stylistically.
    https://twitter.com/James_HamNBCS/st...70406354345984

Vlade had a plan and got it done.
    I like the urgency after firing Joerger.
    Luke will bring some energy to this young team like he did with Russell, Randle, Ingram before the arrival of LeBron.

Well....this sucks

Suddenly Luke is a good coach? Did I miss something?

I just don't get it... He is nowhere close to even being a proven coach. His only claim to fame is "coaching" the Warriors to a great record, the same team that got bored so Kerr let players coach the team last season. Vlade has lucked into a lot of his success. I am not saying he did a bad job, but this team could look a lot different.

1. Vlade is praised now for the Cousins trade and getting Heild but...he was not as excited about it at the time and even stated "he had a better deal a few days earlier" Guess he was just lucky buddy worked out this year.
    2. Reports state that Magic would have taken Fox with the number 2 pick, but the decision to take Ball was from higher up....We easily could have had Ball and Lavar
    3. Scott Perry was in the mix to "aid" Vlade in the draft... Sacramento Bee- "Still regarded among the league’s most dysfunctional franchises when Perry arrived in April, his presence had an almost immediate favorable effect. For the first time in several years, the Kings gained meetings and workouts with most of the top draft prospects, among them Fox, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles, all taken by Sacramento."

Very successful draft... but Vlade's decision or Perry's?

4. Trading the heart of our team.... Shump for Alec Burks in the midst of a playoff race
    5. Firing the coach who led us to a drastically improved record in years and one place out of the playoffs.
    6. Firing a coach responsible for tremendous player growth over one season

Im sure there are more, just typing this on a whim...

Frustrating

Was there really a good choice for head coach? Luke Walton seems as good as any of the other options. I would prefer to keep Joeger but that is no longer a option. I wonder how the players feel about this change?

Buddy really likes Luke and Grant Napear said that Fox was ecstatic.

I read there may have been some tension between Joerger and some of our players. I would have preferred Messina, but I'm okay with Luke. Luke did well with the Warriors. He also did okay with the Lakers until this year. Even this year, the Lakers probably would have been in the mix for the playoffs if Lebron didn't miss so much time. I don't know if Luke is going to make us much better, but I don't think he makes us any worse.