Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 106 to 118 of 118
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Uh huh.

    I usually have a lot of respect for your thoughts, but if this is the road you want to go down, letís look at some cold hard ďrhetoric,Ē shall we:

    Gardner: 7.5 AAV
    CC: 8 AAV
    The platoon starter from Col: 12 AAV
    Hapless: 17 AAV

    Manny Machado: 30 AAV

    According to my math.....and for this discussion thatís the only math that matters.....thatís 44.5 AAV, $14,500,000 more than it would have cost to do the job the right way the first time, for useless trash and a guy playing beyond his ceiling who wouldíve positionally been irrelevant had the Machado deal been done.
    Now, if only Manny could pitch 2/5 of the days and play both OF and IF at the same time.. I might just agree with you...Last time I looked, this is a team game.. singing Manny or Bryce would only fill one spot in the lineup... not 4. Just because YOU don't like it don't make it wrong... hell, If you were right, I'd have to ask why you're NOT an MLB GM?

    Save us your temper tantrum... that's for children.. or democrats... The Yanks saved a ton of money and fill more positions on the roster their way... and quite frankly, if they had been signed they probably would have been on the DL by now too.

    To be honest.. both Harper and Machado are personally tools... and at some point, they would have done something that would turn the NY fans against them... probably later this year... neither one would like being second fiddle to Aaron Judge in the fans eyes.. (or even further back behind Sanchez and Manny and a few others that are becoming fan favs... )

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Barren, Desolate Wastes of Angband
    Posts
    5,204
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Not really a fair way to look at it though imo. Gardner and CC are one yr deals. DJLM 2. Happ 3.
    Manny is 10 yrs. So really, MM costs $255.5M more. And this is coming from someone (me) who wanted MM.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Everything is calculated against the tax threahold, which is done by year, not in totality.

    While I understand your point, generational talents at 26 donít come around enough to barter over peanuts.


    Any Questions?

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Barren, Desolate Wastes of Angband
    Posts
    5,204
    Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    Now, if only Manny could pitch 2/5 of the days and play both OF and IF at the same time.
    Now if only CC and Severed Shoulder could pitch every 5 days, you'd have a point.

    Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    Save us your temper tantrum... that's for children.. or democrats... The Yanks saved a ton of money and fill more positions on the roster their way... and quite frankly, if they had been signed they probably would have been on the DL by now too.
    Uh huh.

    Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    To be honest.. both Harper and Machado are personally tools... and at some point, they would have done something that would turn the NY fans against them... probably later this year... neither one would like being second fiddle to Aaron Judge in the fans eyes.. (or even further back behind Sanchez and Manny and a few others that are becoming fan favs... )
    Reggie Jackson says hello.
    Last edited by sauronthepower; Yesterday at 08:54 AM.


    Any Questions?

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,515
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Uh huh.

    I usually have a lot of respect for your thoughts, but if this is the road you want to go down, letís look at some cold hard ďrhetoric,Ē shall we:

    Gardner: 7.5 AAV
    CC: 8 AAV
    The platoon starter from Col: 12 AAV
    Hapless: 17 AAV

    Manny Machado: 30 AAV

    According to my math.....and for this discussion thatís the only math that matters.....thatís 44.5 AAV, $14,500,000 more than it would have cost to do the job the right way the first time, for useless trash and a guy playing beyond his ceiling who wouldíve positionally been irrelevant had the Machado deal been done.
    Wow, I didn't know Sauron the Powerful knew I existed let alone had respect for my thoughts! I am honored!

    But your math just doesn't work. Again, I am as disappointed as anyone we signed neither Harper nor Machado. But there was no way to do so (rightly or wrongly) and fill the other positions and stay at the current salary level. Sorry.

    Also, there is that additional $200M you keep forgetting.
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Barren, Desolate Wastes of Angband
    Posts
    5,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Wow, I didn't know Sauron the Powerful knew I existed let alone had respect for my thoughts! I am honored!
    But you shouldn't be. It should not matter.....BUT, you fired first so.........

    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    But your math just doesn't work. Again, I am as disappointed as anyone we signed neither Harper nor Machado. But there was no way to do so (rightly or wrongly) and fill the other positions and stay at the current salary level. Sorry.
    With that 14.5 AAV swing I mentioned, if you add the 1M for Tulo, 1M for Logan, and 1M for Gio.....that gets you to the 17 that Happ was lavished with.

    So.....in essence.....you could've trimmed the garbage, unproductive signings and signed Happ and Machado which would have given you exactly what we are able to field today with a far more elite SS/3B than the table scraps we signed out of Colorado.

    I haven't even begun to factor the 7/70 we just torched for a guy with potential major structural damage.

    Simple math is our friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Also, there is that additional $200M you keep forgetting.
    Because Jacoby Ellsbury was such an intelligent long term commitment and guys apparently WON'T be coming off the payroll over the next few seasons to offset that.
    Last edited by sauronthepower; Yesterday at 10:33 AM.


    Any Questions?

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,515
    I am going to disengage, partly because I am bored, and partly because your logic is jumping around and its impossible to meaningfully respond. For example, you have factored in money that came after the start of the season and is not even committed unless they add them to the major league club.
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Barren, Desolate Wastes of Angband
    Posts
    5,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    I am going to disengage, partly because I am bored, and partly because your logic is jumping around and its impossible to meaningfully respond. For example, you have factored in money that came after the start of the season and is not even committed unless they add them to the major league club.
    Bored or cornered?

    Logan Morrison's 1m represents that much of a dealbreaker to your position????

    According to my calculations, everything else came in in the offseason and factors against the cap which seems to be the Brian Cashman/Hal Steinbrenner argument du jour for not going out and getting the necessary generational chip to put us over the top.

    If anyone's position is jumping around I would have to posit that your attempt to conflate the 300 total value of Machado's contract against the AAV is a FAR better example of that.

    I haven't even begun to point out that according to that statement, the Yankees should never be expected to shell out anything over "figure X" over a certain number of years and that free agents should just give up any and all hopes of market compensation simply to flock to the Bronx because of franchise tradition.


    Any Questions?

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    6,083
    I've said since they resigned CC that was a great signing, his last 27 starts 27 starts
    15-1
    2.71 ERA
    22-5 team w-l
    for 8m thats incredibly cheap, not to mention the leadership he brings. Anyone notice that we are something like 6=1 since CC has come back. That team would follow him into hell if he asked.

    I absolutely was not a fan of the Gardy signing but i'd hate to imagine where we'd be now without him.

    I will go to my grave *****in that we didn't sign one of MM or Harper, especially MM. Sauron has Max i've got MM. I just don't believe their is reasonable excuse to pass on both of the 28yr generational talents

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Barren, Desolate Wastes of Angband
    Posts
    5,204
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I've said since they resigned CC that was a great signing, his last 27 starts 27 starts
    15-1
    2.71 ERA
    22-5 team w-l
    for 8m thats incredibly cheap, not to mention the leadership he brings. Anyone notice that we are something like 6=1 since CC has come back. That team would follow him into hell if he asked.

    I absolutely was not a fan of the Gardy signing but i'd hate to imagine where we'd be now without him.

    I will go to my grave *****in that we didn't sign one of MM or Harper, especially MM. Sauron has Max i've got MM. I just don't believe their is reasonable excuse to pass on both of the 28yr generational talents
    CC is a conundrum because he hangs up these performance numbers in the regular season and then cannot be counted on for pressure duration when needed most.

    I would have much rather allocated the resources against Dallas or Corbin than Happ, if the Carrasco scenario we laid out in the offseason was impossible to attain than guarentee Happ 17 AAV at 36 years old.

    We are 11-10 playing some of the worst teams right now. We've all been round and round about the IL situation but what happens when we face better teams with >50% of our performance roster in Sick Bay?

    Max would have went A LONG way towards solving our most pressing need these past 3 seasons, but.........$$$
    Last edited by sauronthepower; Yesterday at 01:35 PM.


    Any Questions?

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    38,106
    Cashman on Fatcesa was dismal.

    Judge gone for a long time.

    Sevy and Dellin gone til at least July.

    Stanton two weeks and Hicks at least a month.

    Bird toast. Tulo in a few weeks.

    Miggy no clue.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day


  11. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,476
    Manny Banuelos killing it

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    30,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    Manny Banuelos killing it
    #tweetsfrom2014

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    6,083
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    CC is a conundrum because he hangs up these performance numbers in the regular season and then cannot be counted on for pressure duration when needed most.

    I would have much rather allocated the resources against Dallas or Corbin than Happ, if the Carrasco scenario we laid out in the offseason was impossible to attain than guarentee Happ 17 AAV at 36 years old.

    We are 11-10 playing some of the worst teams right now. We've all been round and round about the IL situation but what happens when we face better teams with >50% of our performance roster in Sick Bay?

    Max would have went A LONG way towards solving our most pressing need these past 3 seasons, but.........$$$
    Cc is a bit of a conundrum in the playoffs but with his performance in the regular season and his leadership makes us a better team, especially for 8m a yr.

    I would have way rather seen us get Carassco this off season, he's the TORP pitcher we needed. I also would have way rather seen us spend the money on a 28yr old Corbim rather than a 36yr old Happ. Signing him for 3yrs for 17m a yr is something they will regret.

    I agree that Max would have been a huge help the last few yrs and not signing him was a mistake just like passing on MM and IMO a lesser extent Harper. Stupid, stupid mistakes. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake this winter with Cole. He's a 28 yr old top 10 pitcher and we would have the added bonus of taking him away from Houston. Imo he's the ace that would truly put this rotation over the top. A 1-2-3-4 of Cole, Paxton, Sevy and Tanaka Imo would give us as good if not the best rotation in baseball for the next 3yr plus.

    The injuries are very bad but we've managed to stay above 500 with what amounts to a AAA lineup. The only good news is its happened at the beginning of the yr instead of after the AS break. Were going to get healthier soon and with Boston off to such a bad start we could be in a lot worse shape. All that said I absolutely believe some needs to be held accountable for all these injuries in the strength and conditioning staff. If it true that they let the players choose between doing the team recommended workouts in the winter or do their own program that absolutely ludicrous. If Cashman now about that and poked it it's another huge mark against him.

    I do have to.give Cash some credit for some of the moves he made this winter. Paxton looks like a stud and appears to be handle the pressure of pitching in NY. DJ has been a great under the radar signing and could be huge for us this yr especially playing 3rd base. Still would have rather had MM over their but I'm beating a dead horse but I'm going to keep *****ing about that 4 a very long time.. Octavia and Britton were very good signings for us also imo.

    I still think that their hope and plan hoping for healthier and bounce back seasons to improve was an unbelievably poor and short sided plan for us to improve IMO.

    The worst part is if they choose not to add elite piece, like Cole to help put us over the top and miss out on this amazing window we have to win multiple WS. We have the money to add those kind of elite talent to put us over the top. The screwed up massively this winter IMO with the players the passed on, if they continue to do it it will be pretty much unforgivable IMO.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •