Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 84
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    100,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    To be fair, somebody has to make the claim. The world isnít all unicorns and rainbows, Adam is just doing his diligence as a black athlete IMO. There arenít many (or any?) players who speak out against racism, Jones has a platform and is using it, for better or worse.

    I remember Showalter essentially telling people to go **** themselves when they would try to minimize certain racial aspects during interviews back when Jones was with the Orioles. Had lots of respect for Showalter since then lol.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As far as there arent any or many have you not been watching sports the last few years? Durant/Lebron/This dude and a few others go to racism any chance they can even when it has 0 to do with race. Sure racism exists but the second you call durant a ***** or Jones a ***** or tell them to stay in their sports lane its wait for it ..... RACISM. LoL.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    19,527
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    As far as there arent any or many have you not been watching sports the last few years? Durant/Lebron/This dude and a few others go to racism any chance they can even when it has 0 to do with race. Sure racism exists but the second you call durant a ***** or Jones a ***** or tell them to stay in their sports lane its wait for it ..... RACISM. LoL.
    Just because you donít view something as racist doesnít mean it isnít racist.

    Microaggressions exist too. Racism isnít as simple as calling a back person the N word you know...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    19,527
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Jesse smollett says hi... this is just insanely bad logic. He isnt right at all.. He is bringing race into something that has 0 to do with race... There are so many black players that have been admired etc throughout their careers over the last decade plus... machado isnt liked because of his ethic in big games and his stupid quotes. We look for racism everywhere but how we look for racism everywhere is the biggest problem currently.

    When all else fails blame racism or sexism and you are right regardless... That is our society today and its ****ing sad.
    You say Iím using bad logic then you bring up irrelevant *** Jussie Smolett...who Iíve condemned in the past. Not sure what your point is here.

    I never said I agreed that Machado is disliked because of racism. Read my post again, I said that Jones has a point about how language is changed up just to get clicks on a news website.


    Are minorities more susceptible to being called Ďthugsí in news stories compared to white counter parts? If you say no, thereís no point In even discussing this with me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    19,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    The overwhelming majority of people don't care, how about that?
    Here maybe, not in the real world.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Here maybe, not in the real world.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, and the real world too.

    Maybe not with the people you speak to, but the vast majority of Americans don't care about race, and haven't for a long time and are tired of the constant race conversations.

    Maybe there is some colorblind racism that goes on, but it's insignificant, though it still matters. But overt racism is rare and everybody has a problem with it.


    The majority of Americans are tired of the topic, don't care about race and don't judge people based on the color of their skin or treat them differently. Are there cultural differences that keep us segregated? Sure. But that also exists in religions, income disparities and other categories.

    People blow race stuff way out of proportion, and it's why racism won't die.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    19,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Yes, and the real world too.

    Maybe not with the people you speak to, but the vast majority of Americans don't care about race, and haven't for a long time and are tired of the constant race conversations.

    Maybe there is some colorblind racism that goes on, but it's insignificant, though it still matters. But overt racism is rare and everybody has a problem with it.


    The majority of Americans are tired of the topic, don't care about race and don't judge people based on the color of their skin or treat them differently. Are there cultural differences that keep us segregated? Sure. But that also exists in religions, income disparities and other categories.

    People blow race stuff way out of proportion, and it's why racism won't die.
    A 5 minute walk to the store for me will probably yield me as many ethnicities that youíll see in miles. Racism is a big topic of conversation and it is something that is cared about by pretty much all minorities and a good chunk of white liberals.

    I can say the same thing to you. Maybe the majority of the people you speak to donít care about race but thatís more of an assessment on both of our personalities and what kind of company we keep.

    By colorblind racism Iím assuming youíre referring to ďI donít see colorĒ in which case, yeah thatís a problem. Same way that micro-aggressions are a problem.

    Like I said before, you donít have to outright call somebody the N word or a terrorist to be considered racist. I canít tell you how many times Iíve see the banana or monkey slur thrown around in reference to black people. When you challenge the assertion their response is usually ďYouíre racist because youíre the one making this about raceĒ even in spite of their racist intentions.

    I donít think the majority of Americans are tired. I think itís the majority of both older folks and conservatives. Young liberals and even conservatives to a degree tend to focus on race. (conservatives moreso about racism towards white folks...would you say thatís overblown too?)

    Racism wonít die not because people blow things out of proportion, itís because of half the **** that goes on in politics. You canít get mad at a bunch of people for crying racism when the last election had two racists running for president.

    People will continue to be vocal until there is less marginalization. You also have to understand that a lot of the socioeconomic problems in this country are derived from race. Itís all institutionalized.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Here maybe, not in the real world.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure who you hang with, or talk to, but I rarely ever come across situations that involve racism.

    Racism certainly exists in the world. But it's nowhere near what the media and social media want us to believe. At least from my experience.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    19,527
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I'm not sure who you hang with, or talk to, but I rarely ever come across situations that involve racism.

    Racism certainly exists in the world. But it's nowhere near what the media and social media want us to believe. At least from my experience.
    Defer to my comment above.

    Iíve told PSD about at least a half dozen racist encounters that Iíve personally been a Ďvictimí of.

    If youíre not Pakistani, you wouldnít understand he racism or marginalization a Pakistani person faces. Same goes for white people, black people, etc etc.

    I take it that this site is predominantly white so I canít expect a good chunk of yíall to understand situations from my perspective.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    A 5 minute walk to the store for me will probably yield me as many ethnicities that youíll see in miles. Racism is a big topic of conversation and it is something that is cared about by pretty much all minorities and a good chunk of white liberals.

    I can say the same thing to you. Maybe the majority of the people you speak to donít care about race but thatís more of an assessment on both of our personalities and what kind of company we keep.

    By colorblind racism Iím assuming youíre referring to ďI donít see colorĒ in which case, yeah thatís a problem. Same way that micro-aggressions are a problem.

    Like I said before, you donít have to outright call somebody the N word or a terrorist to be considered racist. I canít tell you how many times Iíve see the banana or monkey slur thrown around in reference to black people. When you challenge the assertion their response is usually ďYouíre racist because youíre the one making this about raceĒ even in spite of their racist intentions.

    I donít think the majority of Americans are tired. I think itís the majority of both older folks and conservatives. Young liberals and even conservatives to a degree tend to focus on race. (conservatives moreso about racism towards white folks...would you say thatís overblown too?)

    Racism wonít die not because people blow things out of proportion, itís because of half the **** that goes on in politics. You canít get mad at a bunch of people for crying racism when the last election had two racists running for president.

    People will continue to be vocal until there is less marginalization. You also have to understand that a lot of the socioeconomic problems in this country are derived from race. Itís all institutionalized.
    You are trying to convince me that racism exists, I agree it does. What I don't agree is the extent of it that Americans actually care about. People don't hate Machado because of his skin color. They hate him because of his actions.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    19,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    You are trying to convince me that racism exists, I agree it does. What I don't agree is the extent of it that Americans actually care about. People don't hate Machado because of his skin color. They hate him because of his actions.
    Lol once again I never said I agreed with Jonesí assessment on Machado. I just agree with the fact that thereís different words people use for different races when describing something negative. I.e my whole response about a black person being labeled a thug while a white person is labeled misguided when committing the same crime.


    Itís a double edged sword. Racism is talked about too much I agree, but there is also a reason why itís talked about so much to begin with. My biggest gripe is when people either post stories or replies as ammo to minimize racism. A lot of the posts on PSD that have to do with racism are pretty much talking about how racism is completely overblown and I donít think thatís fair.

    Understand that me being one of the more well known liberals and minorities on this site, that Iím not going to cry racism just for the sake of it but to sometimes play devils advocate in these situations because of comments like yours which I feel is minimizing a very legitimate issue.

    In short, I donít agree about Jonesí take on Machado but I believe everything else he said was completely spot on. The idea is right, the execution is wrong IMO.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    40,592
    Jones had a point but the point had nothing to do with why so many fans dislike Machado.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Yes, and the real world too.

    Maybe not with the people you speak to, but the vast majority of Americans don't care about race, and haven't for a long time and are tired of the constant race conversations.

    Maybe there is some colorblind racism that goes on, but it's insignificant, though it still matters. But overt racism is rare and everybody has a problem with it.


    The majority of Americans are tired of the topic, don't care about race and don't judge people based on the color of their skin or treat them differently. Are there cultural differences that keep us segregated? Sure. But that also exists in religions, income disparities and other categories.

    People blow race stuff way out of proportion, and it's why racism won't die.
    I'm sorry but this is such a bold and blatantly stupid statement.

    The only thing you are even remotely right about is that people aren't always consciously racist.

    There are so many studies that show the significance of racism in America and the effect it has not only on people livelihoods but even on people's opinions on policy.

    There was a study just a few years back that gave applications to multiple employers. They would give 2 identical applications to the same employer with only one difference. One application had a "black" name, the other had a "white" name. And I think the more predominantly white name had something like a 75% higher chance of getting hired.

    Just recently a study came out where they would talk about social programs like welfare. During the demonstration, depending on if they showed a black person or a white person would completely change the way they viewed the social program.

    So yeah, it might be "insignificant" to you because I'm guessing you're white and none of this effects you personally. But to black people, and people with empathy, it's actually a huge problem still in America.

    I suggest actually doing a dig into some actual data on the topic. For someone I've noticed who seems to be obsessed with data when it comes to baseball, you seem to of resorted to political videos on youtube to base your opinions off of. Believe it or not this topic doesn't need another ignorant, uneducated opinion. It already has plenty.
    Last edited by MRSpock; 04-15-2019 at 03:45 PM.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    To be fair, somebody has to make the claim. The world isnít all unicorns and rainbows, Adam is just doing his diligence as a black athlete IMO. There arenít many (or any?) players who speak out against racism, Jones has a platform and is using it, for better or worse.

    I remember Showalter essentially telling people to go **** themselves when they would try to minimize certain racial aspects during interviews back when Jones was with the Orioles. Had lots of respect for Showalter since then lol.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair enough. I feel like Jones milks it a bit, but that's just me.

    Some of the other **** being said in this thread is just pathetic deflection with many individuals showing how ignorant they are. As a Canadian who lived in the States for many years, it doesn't really surprise me, though. Americans are perhaps the most blind when it comes to their own country. That goes for both sides of the political spectrum.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,843
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    I'm sorry but this is such a bold and blatantly stupid statement.

    The only thing you are even remotely right about is that people aren't always consciously racist.

    There are so many studies that show the significance of racism in America and the effect it has not only on people livelihoods but even on people's opinions on policy.

    There was a study just a few years back that gave applications to multiple employers. They would give 2 identical applications to the same employer with only one difference. One application had a "black" name, the other had a "white" name. And I think the more predominantly white name had something like a 75% higher chance of getting hired.

    Just recently a study came out where they would talk about social programs like welfare. During the demonstration, depending on if they showed a black person or a white person would completely change the way they viewed the social program.

    So yeah, it might be "insignificant" to you because I'm guessing you're white and none of this effects you personally. But to black people, and people with empathy, it's actually a huge problem still in America.

    I suggest actually doing a dig into some actual data on the topic. For someone I've noticed who seems to be obsessed with data when it comes to baseball, you seem to of resorted to political videos on youtube to base your opinions off of. Believe it or not this topic doesn't need another ignorant, uneducated opinion. It already has plenty.
    I really hate when people get hired because of their skin color. I also hate when people don't get hired because of skin color. Forcing a business to interview or hire someone because of their skin is just as racist as not hiring them because of their skin color.

    I've always believed that a person's name should not be put on an application. Each applicant should be assigned a number to enter on the application. This way, race is completely removed from the equation. And of course the race box should never appear on an application. Race is irrelevant, and should never come in to play when deciding who is the BEST AND MOST QUALIFIED for the job.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    100,630
    when all else fails just blame racism and sexism... that is what the current society does.

  16. 04-16-2019, 10:32 AM
    Reason
    Please leave politics to the politics forum - Rush

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •