Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I can't imagine Kylo Ren letting Hux rise to a position above him.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I was majorly disappointed in TLJ but am still stoked to see if they can right the ship for the conclusion of this saga.

The special effects look great in the teaser trailer. The title is quite surprising seeing as how the last film ended. One last showdown between the Emperor and Luke? I'm guessing not but who the hell knows. Or maybe it turns out Rey actually IS a Skywalker?
    I very much doubt that it has anything to do with Luke. He's already had his place in this series and his story has already been told.

More likely is referring to Rey but also could be referring to Kylo.

The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    The Rise of Skywalker

Those are all titles revolving around a certain growth point for Rey. First one is pretty self-explanatory, then she became the last Jedi after Luke died, now she finds out that she is a Skywalker.

Kylo is also half Skywalker though so maybe it means he flips and becomes a hero. I'd have a hard time believing this though because he killed his own father. But maybe his mom dying has a profound effect on him... Or maybe he doesn't like Palpatine IDK.

As for Palpatine, I don't know how he's going to be in the movie, but I hope it explains the ultimate disappointment which is Snoke.

I guess JJ Abrams confirmed that Palpatine is back... So likely not a force ghost or a tape or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I very much doubt that it has anything to do with Luke. He's already had his place in this series and his story has already been told.

The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    The Rise of Skywalker

Those are all titles revolving around a certain growth point for Rey. First one is pretty self-explanatory, then she became the last Jedi after Luke died, now she finds out that she is a Skywalker.

Kylo is also half Skywalker though so maybe it means he flips and becomes a hero. I'd have a hard time believing this though because he killed his own father. But maybe his mom dying has a profound effect on him... Or maybe he doesn't like Palpatine IDK.

As for Palpatine, I don't know how he's going to be in the movie, but I hope it explains the ultimate disappointment which is Snoke.
    I'd guess The Last Skywalker more likely refers to Kylo than Rey but only time will tell. I could also see it referring to the post-death legacy of Luke carried on by Rey.

I guess JJ Abrams confirmed that Palpatine is back... So likely not a force ghost or a tape or anything like that.
    https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019/...ker-episode-9/

The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    The Rise of Skywalker

It seems like they may just try to forget alot of what happened in The Last Jedi and move past it a quick as they can so they may not even mention Snoke. Luke may also at least be force ghost as he has spoken out alot about how unhappy he was written in TLJ, that JJ might bring him back in to appease fans and Mark himself.
    Fan of Red Sox , Chicago Bears , Boston Celtics , Chase Elliott , UVA, Joshi Puroresu

2018-2019 UVA Men's Basketball National Champions

I don't know if you can say he isn't returning as a force ghost. When I first heard the laugh and saw the ruins of a death star like someone else stated I could totally see Palpatine as a Force Ghost who has been the behind the scenes guy for the whole thing. It would not surprise me that when Kylo was searching out stuff that belonged to Darth Vader, Palpatine appeared to him as a force ghost and started guiding him to what he became including pushing him towards Snoke and eventual turning on Snoke.

Maybe Ben and Rey have a baby.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    One More Time

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Rhody View Post
    Maybe Ben and Rey have a baby.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    That would be quite the progression and ground to cover between TLJ and the end of ROS. I really don't want to see a Kylo redemption either. You don't kill your dad and/or Han Solo and live happily ever after in my book.

Crazy how I watched the TFA trailer 50+ times, emotional reaction 1/2 of them, and I watched this once and just feel dead inside.

Think I would have enjoyed it if the last movie never existed and I felt Luke was going to play a big role.

I take the title to mean that Luke will rise from the dead and return in human form. I don't think a jedi has ever done that, and they seem to make it seem like he is one of the greatest and strongest jedis ever, so it would make sense if he finds a way to resurrect himself Jesus like.

Now that I've had some time to fully digest the trailer, here are some additional thoughts:

1.) Our old buddy Sheev Palpatine is back.....or is he?

A.) He's in a clone body. Of course, this is directly out of the old Dark Empire comic series- Palpatine returns with a new Empire and new superweapons, in a clone body. Clones are already canon, so that's one down. In Dark Empire, Palpatine knew the power of essence transfer, which allowed him to gain access to clone bodies (as his immense dark side power ravaged them and he needed a steady supply). At the end, his goal was to transfer his life essence to the unborn Anakin Solo, as a descendant of the Skywalker line would be able to handle his dark side power.

This also sets up the only possible redemption arc for Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, as Palpatine arraying everything so he can take possession of his body would be the only thing that would convince the audience to root for him after his betrayal of Luke and the murder of his father.

B.) Sheev is a Force Ghost. However, to what extent he can affect the living realm remains to be seen. Yoda destroyed the tree on Atch-To with the Force, proving Force Ghosts can affect the living. In the EU, Exar Kun was able to affect the living as a Force Ghost, burning Gantoris from the inside out and flinging Corran Horn around a Massassi Temple at will. Force Ghosts can be destroyed- this happened to Kun, and multiple times in the MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic.

C.) Palpatine still exists in another realm. While I am not 100% up to date with Marvel, this parallels the Quantum Realm, and this also existed in the Legacy of the Force novel series, with the realm called "Beyond Shadows." Luke Skywalker and the fellow Jedi could not defeat the Force entity Abeloth in the normal universe, and he had to team with Sith Lord Darth Krayt, enter the Beyond Shadows realm to defeat her. With his master, Darth Plagueis, Palpatine delved into the secrets of life, and could indeed have found that another realm exists.

An added bonus is that, while in Beyond Shadows, Luke could commune with his wife and his fallen nephew Jacen Solo. So this adds a whole new level of intrigue if they go this route.

D.) The laughing is from a recording from one of the Operation: Cinder monitors from Battlefront II. This is the troll option/potential red herring from JJ Abrams.

2.) The Death Star remains. The remains had to go somewhere. This planet could actually be Endor, or another planet in the system, or flung to other star systems. The explosion was immensely powerful, and the writers can essentially decide how powerful. From the new Battlefront II, we know that some debris made it onto the forest moon of Endor, but not nearly enough of it (and from Return of the Jedi, the Ewok village was unharmed.) . Also from BFII, the Yavin IV map takes place after the destruction of the first Death Star, and the area around the Grand Temple was free of debris. Either way, I think this is going to play a key role in the movie.

3.) At the beginning, what planet is Rey on? From the lack of starship debris, we can rule out Jakku. That leaves only one well-known desert planet that we know about, and with Skywalker in the title of the movie, this planet is assuredly Tatooine. Something was left for Rey on Tatooine, or she may be investigating the virgin birth of Anakin Skywalker.

Of course, I'm still interested in knowing Rey's heritage. The tagline teases that she is a Skywalker, though this could also be about Kylo Ren/Ben, if they are indeed setting up a redemption storyline. I'm also very interested in knowing who Snoke is, though with the return of Sheev, they may be trying to make us forget about him.......or did Palpatine take over his body?

One interesting plot point about the defeat of the Empire at Jakku from the canon novel trilogy Aftermath is that Palpatine ordered a large amount of Sith artifacts dumped into the planet's core as part of the operation after his death. It is never explained why. Did this start a Sith ritual designed to bring him back to life, or something along these lines? I'm going to guess so, but how they go about things after that is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    I take the title to mean that Luke will rise from the dead and return in human form. I don't think a jedi has ever done that, and they seem to make it seem like he is one of the greatest and strongest jedis ever, so it would make sense if he finds a way to resurrect himself Jesus like.
    This would turn me completely off to the entire series tbh. This series is about 3 different generation's of Skywalkers. First 3 were about Anakin, Second 3 were about Luke and the final 3 about another Skywalker. But if they wanted to essentially make these 3 movies about Luke instead of a third generation Skywalker I could handle it except for the fact that TLJ sucked, and if it's all about Luke, that makes TFA completely worthless since he's in the movie for like 5 seconds.

This would turn me completely off to the entire series tbh. This series is about 3 different generation's of Skywalkers. First 3 were about Anakin, Second 3 were about Luke and the final 3 about another Skywalker. But if they wanted to essentially make these 3 movies about Luke instead of a third generation Skywalker I could handle it except for the fact that TLJ sucked, and if it's all about Luke, that makes TFA completely worthless since he's in the movie for like 5 seconds.
    That's why I think it is. A lot of fans didn't like the last one, and didn't like how they wasted Luke, Mark Hamill included. It could be a way to appease fans and right a wrong. I would rather see that than have Rey be related. That seems to obvious to be honest and lazy to make her his daughter, or related somehow. Plus, what is she rising from?

Loved the preview. Looks awesome. I'm one of the few here on PSD who actually liked TLJ so I'm still very high on this trilogy. I don't think Rey is the Skywalker, so we will have to see what happens there. I'm curious for sure but don't want it to be referring to Kylo Ren.

Nice writeup TT. So many options for them to use for Palpatine it seems. From what you wrote, my favorite was the clones. Seems like it would make sense, my only question would be where has he been and why has he been in hiding? If

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast