Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    It痴 not a weak draft.

While there is an undeniable drop off after the top 2, the groups at 3-10, and then through the rest of the 1st round look good. It痴 just that the 2 guys at the top are elite, and no one else looks to be quite at that level. But there are plenty of guys littered through the 1st round who look like they can be really nice NHL players, just aren稚 showing that elite type of ceiling.
    Agree. That痴 generally how drafts work. There痴 usually one or two guys at the top that have been pushed as THE prospect over the course of a year or two, but the draft doesn稚 end there. There are plenty of talented impact players that we壇 be very fortunate to have if not for winning the second overall pick. Very rarely are there a handful of players that are labeled as franchise altering players before they skate in the NHL. This year is no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a draft where the guys taken in the mid second round are going to be guys you壇 maybe see at the end of the first draft round in any other average draft. Next year is supposed to be very good I believe too. I think there is more 兎lite level talent next year and not quite as much depth but it痴 supposed to be a very good first round of talent again.

There痴 a reason draft capital has gone up lately. Very exceptional crop of youth coming in to the league right now.

New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by beast023 View Post
    Agree. That痴 generally how drafts work. There痴 usually one or two guys at the top that have been pushed as THE prospect over the course of a year or two, but the draft doesn稚 end there. There are plenty of talented impact players that we壇 be very fortunate to have if not for winning the second overall pick. Very rarely are there a handful of players that are labeled as franchise altering players before they skate in the NHL. This year is no different.

Yup

Purported as a very nice and deep 1st round and it痴 pretty likely that we will see impact guys come out of this draft that are draft in the 20痴.

Though I still think moving up from 20 and doubling down with a second pick in the top half of the round is the right way to go.

Yup

Purported as a very nice and deep 1st round and it痴 pretty likely that we will see impact guys come out of this draft that are draft in the 20痴.

Though I still think moving up from 20 and doubling down with a second pick in the top half of the round is the right way to go.
    I致e been scouring CapFriendly for a team that might be interested in acquiring Shattenkirk and one of the teams that stood out to me was Anaheim. They have Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson as their top 3. Manson being the only RHD on the roster, and Brendan Guhle as the only other player signed (he痴 got one year left on his ELC). So they need at least two more bodies, preferably right handed. Not too familiar with their system, but from what I gather, all their best prospects are forwards.

Perhaps pairing Shattenkirk (with salary retained) with the Winnipeg pick and maybe even the Dallas second rounder might get us all the way up to #9. Would be awesome if we could get one of Zegras, Cozens, Boldy, or Caufield after taking Kakko at #2.

I致e been scouring CapFriendly for a team that might be interested in acquiring Shattenkirk and one of the teams that stood out to me was Anaheim. They have Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson as their top 3. Manson being the only RHD on the roster, and Brendan Guhle as the only other player signed (he痴 got one year left on his ELC). So they need at least two more bodies, preferably right handed. Not too familiar with their system, but from what I gather, all their best prospects are forwards.

Perhaps pairing Shattenkirk (with salary retained) with the Winnipeg pick and maybe even the Dallas second rounder might get us all the way up to #9. Would be awesome if we could get one of Zegras, Cozens, Boldy, or Caufield after taking Kakko at #2.

I doubt Anaheim does that. No way they壇 want to take on another veteran as they are clearly about to seriously push the reset button. They壇 need a premium asset to move off of a top 10 pick. And they also have 2 1st round picks this year.

In all honesty I think Shattenkirk is on the team at least until the deadline, and possibly all season. In order to move him before the season starts I think they壇 probably have to take (in return and retained salary) a deal that in total value was about 30 cents on the dollar. If that痴 the case, I say play it out with him for another season, or at least until late February

Really really expensive to get into the top 10 all the way from 20. They壇 be looking at probably their pick at 20, plus a top prospect, plus possibly taking a junk contract back to do that. At least that痴 what I壇 be looking for from them if I were a GM.

But I do think 12-15 range is very doable. 5-8 spots and outside the top 10 is much easier and cheaper than 11 spots and 9th overall

Even Colorado痴 other pick at 16. They should look hard at that pick, and I壇 bet for the right offer that pick is VERY much in play, and it痴 only 4 spots so it probably wouldn稚 kill them in terms of price. Colorado already has that gift pick at 4th overall from Ottawa and they need pieces to help them win right now way more than they need a mid-1st round pick. And Sakic knows that. He痴 got a team friendly deal with MacKinnon, but Rantanen is due an extension and Landeskog is UFA in 2 years. They need to add now to make those guys all count when they池e together and in prime seasons.
    Last edited by nyr1980; 05-30-2019 at 06:22 PM.

I doubt Anaheim does that. No way they壇 want to take on another veteran as they are clearly about to seriously push the reset button. They壇 need a premium asset to move off of a top 10 pick. And they also have 2 1st round picks this year.

In all honesty I think Shattenkirk is on the team at least until the deadline, and possibly all season. In order to move him before the season starts I think they壇 probably have to take (in return and retained salary) a deal that in total value was about 30 cents on the dollar. If that痴 the case, I say play it out with him for another season, or at least until late February

Really really expensive to get into the top 10 all the way from 20. They壇 be looking at probably their pick at 20, plus a top prospect, plus possibly taking a junk contract back to do that. At least that痴 what I壇 be looking for from them if I were a GM.

But I do think 12-15 range is very doable. 5-8 spots and outside the top 10 is much easier and cheaper than 11 spots and 9th overall

Even Colorado痴 other pick at 16. They should look hard at that pick, and I壇 bet for the right offer that pick is VERY much in play, and it痴 only 4 spots so it probably wouldn稚 kill them in terms of price. Colorado already has that gift pick at 4th overall from Ottawa and they need pieces to help them win right now way more than they need a mid-1st round pick. And Sakic knows that. He痴 got a team friendly deal with MacKinnon, but Rantanen is due an extension and Landeskog is UFA in 2 years. They need to add now to make those guys all count when they池e together and in prime seasons.
    When you take a look at the list of right handed free agent defensemen that are available this year, Kevin Shattenkirk at half his salary for the next two years becomes a whole lot more appealing. https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/f...a/desc/1/right

When you take a look at the list of right handed free agent defensemen that are available this year, Kevin Shattenkirk at half his salary for the next two years becomes a whole lot more appealing. https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/f...a/desc/1/right

I can understand that, but they still are going to have to make serious concessions to move him and they値l get a very limited return on him whenever they do.

He has value to someone, I won稚 deny that, especially if we池e eating salary.
    I知 just not too sure how much salary and cap space they want to eat. I figure they池e keeping Staal around and buying out or burying Smith in Hartford. I think Shatty sticks around a while, especially given that the HC was in his wedding party. He値l get a shot this year, hopefully he痴 healthy and plays better and ups his value or proves himself worthy of sticking around

If they can find a way to get rid of one of them permanently I think they will. Smith they will just bury in Hartford I think worst case scenario, whether that is day one or halfway through the season.

I would not expect them to buy anyone out. We quite literally don稚 need the salary so if they can稚 find the right deal you better believe they will save themselves the extra cap hits 3-5 years from now and just let the situation play out.

Hell, I have a strong feeling that letting their rebuild keep taking course is their main focus. And if that happens to end with another top 5 pick next year, Gorton and company are arms wide open to that scenario.

New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
    If they can find a way to get rid of one of them permanently I think they will. Smith they will just bury in Hartford I think worst case scenario, whether that is day one or halfway through the season.

I would not expect them to buy anyone out. We quite literally don稚 need the salary so if they can稚 find the right deal you better believe they will save themselves the extra cap hits 3-5 years from now and just let the situation play out.

Hell, I have a strong feeling that letting their rebuild keep taking course is their main focus. And if that happens to end with another top 5 pick next year, Gorton and company are arms wide open to that scenario.

I agree
    I think they want to avoid 4 years of dead cap space, but next summer they look at it again when it痴 only 2 years. And I only think a buyout happens with one of them.
    They go hard after Panarin and if they miss on him, they sit tight and roll the dice on another lottery pick next summer.

Yeah, the defense is a MESS with nearly $17M in dead weight. I'm definitely seeing Gorton looking to ride those contracts out vs a buyout. It could also mean moving Kreider. I am of the opinion, Gorton is looking to stockpile and not until the Rangers are THAT close to being a Cup Contender before he opens up the cheque book.

Davidson seems intent on rebuilding the awful AHL team, Wolfpack.

Davidson and Gorton's vision is making the Rangers into a endless reservoir of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    Yeah, the defense is a MESS with nearly $17M in dead weight. I'm definitely seeing Gorton looking to ride those contracts out vs a buyout. It could also mean moving Kreider. I am of the opinion, Gorton is looking to stockpile and not until the Rangers are THAT close to being a Cup Contender before he opens up the cheque book.

Davidson seems intent on rebuilding the awful AHL team, Wolfpack.

Davidson and Gorton's vision is making the Rangers into a endless reservoir of talent.
    I知 fine with them riding it out. At least on part of it.
    Staal stays till his contract is up. While I don稚 feel they 登we it to him, they should do the right thing and keep him around. The guy has left it all out on the ice for them for a dozen years, sacrificed his body many times at great cost, been a consummate pro, and is a leader on the ice and in the locker room.
    Shelter his minutes, and if you need to scratch him you do it. By keep him around.

Shattenkirk you shop. You can eat some money if you find a partner and a suitable deal.

Smith you bury or you buyout next year

If we池e 斗etting things ride, would you trade Smith with 50% retained for Marleau and a 2nd round pick? Then buy out Marleau. Because he has a 35+ contract, you would owe him all of it but the cap hit would be only on the books this year.

If we池e 斗etting things ride, would you trade Smith with 50% retained for Marleau and a 2nd round pick? Then buy out Marleau. Because he has a 35+ contract, you would owe him all of it but the cap hit would be only on the books this year.

Probably wouldn稚 do that. There probably isn稚 any real gain there if you池e keeping $2.17 million in salary for Smith the next 2 years. And the extra 2nd isn稚 a huge plus either

If they feel they have to just move on from Smith, they can buy him out this year. But I知 not in favor of it. Even at not a huge amount, 4 years of dead cap space sucks.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I知 opposed to any buyout this summer. It痴 simply not necessary. You can bury Smith or taxi him between NY and Hartford for a year. They aren稚 a contender no matter what they do in all reality. They aren稚 dying for cap space.
    I think they値l be better and at the least be playing meaningful hockey post-deadline this year but at best they池e a bubble team. Have everything work out and they池e probably an 8th seed and a 1st round out. I壇 just ride it out.

I doubt we would have to retain salary to take on Marleau, and I'd just let Marleau play the season out and help the kids like he did in Toronto. Having said all that he wants to go back towards San Jose, I'm doubtful New York is on his mind unless he wants to play another year or two in which case he might up his value.

Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I doubt we would have to retain salary to take on Marleau, and I'd just let Marleau play the season out and help the kids like he did in Toronto. Having said all that he wants to go back towards San Jose, I'm doubtful New York is on his mind unless he wants to play another year or two in which case he might up his value.
    I only say we壇 buy him out because I知 not sure he hangs around just for the year. I would imagine it痴 a situation like Orpick last year where he痴 bought out and the Leafs re-sign him for way less, or like you said, he heads back out west. If they miss out on Panarin, they should decide to use their cap space as a weapon to acquire more assets.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast