Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

ford field to get new turf & "talks" of a retractable roof?

https://detroitsportsnation.com/repo...7/2019/202933/

According to a report from Crain’s Detroit, the Detroit Lions will be playing on a new field in 2019.

That’s right, Ford Field will be getting brand new field turf for the upcoming season. It will be the first time the turf has been replaced since 2013.

From Crain’s Detroit:

“We are considering — we are starting the process to replace the field turf that’s on the field, so we are researching all the different companies that are out there right now. Our turf is the second-oldest turf of artificial fields in the NFL. It was installed in 2013. So we will likely be replacing that as part of our off season in 2019,” said Todd Argust, the Lions’ vice president of operations since 2014, according to a transcript of the stadium authority’s meeting provided last week by Wayne County.

Sources familiar with the situation say the new turf project is still a go and should be announced within a few weeks.

There was also talk about installing a retractable roof at Ford Field but that cost (reportedly $75 million) was too much.
    I'm cool with upgrading the turf for player protection etc... by why have discussions on turning ford field into a retractable roof? are we trying to appear more marketable? or are the fords dropping early hints that they will need/want a new stadium?

I personally LOVE ford field but IT IS approaching 20 years old (that sounds crazy when you think about it). What's the average life span of a stadium? how old is too old? Discussions of fields that are holy ground do not apply.
    ^^ ^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    https://detroitsportsnation.com/repo...7/2019/202933/

I'm cool with upgrading the turf for player protection etc... by why have discussions on turning ford field into a retractable roof? are we trying to appear more marketable? or are the fords dropping early hints that they will need/want a new stadium?

I personally LOVE ford field but IT IS approaching 20 years old (that sounds crazy when you think about it). What's the average life span of a stadium? how old is too old? Discussions of fields that are holy ground do not apply.
    Retractable roof means real grass...which then allows for a soccer team.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

can you please stop appeasing the "marketing" nonsense? for the love of all that is holy, there is a thread for that BS, please PLEASE leave it there

real grass is better for players saftey as well

I wouldn't mind a retractable roof because I enjoy watching outdoor games

But Ford Field is a pretty good home field advantage, it gets loud in their

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    I wouldn't mind a retractable roof because I enjoy watching outdoor games

But Ford Field is a pretty good home field advantage, it gets loud in their
    Does it? It never really sounds loud on TV. Never been to a game though.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Does it? It never really sounds loud on TV. Never been to a game though.
    It's loud when we have a rare MNF or SNF game, I don't remember which games but we've gotten some crowd induced false starts over the years. Was it a bears game a couple years ago when we got like 5+ false starts on them?

It's loud when we have a rare MNF or SNF game, I don't remember which games but we've gotten some crowd induced false starts over the years. Was it a bears game a couple years ago when we got like 5+ false starts on them?
    Yes. I was at that game, it was MNF 2011. I can attest that the field was really damn loud (especially after Jahvid Best's long TD run).

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Yes. I was at that game, it was MNF 2011. I can attest that the field was really damn loud (especially after Jahvid Best's long TD run).
    wasn't that the last game Best ever played in as he got another concussion?

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    wasn't that the last game Best ever played in as he got another concussion?
    I believe he got concussed against SF (and the hand shake gate) and that was the end.

Edit: Yep, 2nd half against SF. That was the very next game.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    holy **** that was a long time ago

the crowd helped us win the game in that one. Cutler was ******** himself.

I was at the Lions last pre-season game vs the Browns and it wasn't even that filled but the stadium for some reason sounded loud

can you please stop appeasing the "marketing" nonsense? for the love of all that is holy, there is a thread for that BS, please PLEASE leave it there
    Sorry Sir
    ^^ ^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

I thnk I recall the game. I just attribute it to the bears being trash.