Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Kyle Korver: "As White people, we are responsible" for slavery...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...-utah-jazz-nba

Interesting read... Korver tries to distinguish "guilt" from "responsibility". He does make some amazing points in the article, but they almost fell on deaf ears when he talks about contemporary White people having responsibility for "the sins of our forefathers" (slavery).

What I'm confused on is how we have "responsibility" of something if he admits we aren't "guilty" in the first place. Reparations? What if you're mixed Black and White, does that cancel out any reparations you ought to receive?

What do you guys think? What did you like about what he had to say? Do you disagree with anything?
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

Kyle korver is a gangsta *** white dude

I read it as, whites have responsibility to make a change.

I loved the article, and he hit it on the head with this portion:

Thereís an elephant in the room that Iíve been thinking about a lot over these last few weeks. Itís the fact that, demographically, if weíre being honest: I have more in common with the fans in the crowd at your average NBA game than I have with the players on the court.

And after the events in Salt Lake City last month, and as weíve been discussing them since, Iíve really started to recognize the role those demographics play in my privilege. Itís like ó I may be Thaboís friend, or Ekpeís teammate, or Russís colleague; I may work with those guys. And I absolutely 100% stand with them.

But I look like the other guy.

And whether I like it or not? Iím beginning to understand how that means something.

What Iím realizing is, no matter how passionately I commit to being an ally, and no matter how unwavering my support is for NBA and WNBA players of colorÖ.. Iím still in this conversation from the privileged perspective of opting in to it. Which of course means that on the flip side, I could just as easily opt out of it. Every day, Iím given that choice ó Iím granted that privilege ó based on the color of my skin.

In other words, I can say every right thing in the world: I can voice my solidarity with Russ after what happened in Utah. I can evolve my position on what happened to Thabo in New York. I can be that weird dude in Get Out bragging about how heíd have voted for Obama a third term. I can condemn every racist heckler Iíve ever known.

But I can also fade into the crowd, and my face can blend in with the faces of those hecklers, any time I want.

I realize that now. And maybe in years past, just realizing something wouldíve felt like progress. But itís NOT years past ó itís today. And I know I have to do better. So Iím trying to push myself further.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I love it. Not all white people are racist, but there is a lack of accountability to shut up the portion of ones that are. To many times there are bystanders who just sit there, and not do anything. As white people sitting back and not taking an active part in equal rights and making the excuse, "well I am not racist" is the problem we have. There will always be racists, but us white people have to have a larger part in ending discrimination, hate groups, demeaning language and sadly we just don't. Korver nailed it.

I'll give it a read later but it better not feature the tired white privilage talk, POC are oppressed/victim mentality that Im so tired of hearing about.

Also, its actually very racist to lump all whites into 1 category and I dont think many know who owned/sold slaves. Theres actually alot of interesting debate about slaves and how they were acquired that you dont see in the textbooks. There were also different slave races throughout history, exactly when do we cut off the reparations bit? Im mixed, do I get money then give it to a purebread thereafter. LMFAO, race wars are a waste of time because no one has all the facts, at least not yet. IIRC your typical euro white didn't own the majority of the slaves in America so who pays, exactly? It wasn't like everyone owned a slave so which blood line to bash?

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Kyle korver is a gangsta *** white dude
    Sounds like he lets other dudes bang his lady

Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    I love it. Not all white people are racist, but there is a lack of accountability to shut up the portion of ones that are. To many times there are bystanders who just sit there, and not do anything. As white people sitting back and not taking an active part in equal rights and making the excuse, "well I am not racist" is the problem we have. There will always be racists, but us white people have to have a larger part in ending discrimination, hate groups, demeaning language and sadly we just don't. Korver nailed it.
    these whites are exactly the ones MLK stated hurt the cause the most. The ones who know there is a problem, but sit on the sidelines.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

He's right, and it's an issue. But if we are being 100% here, the biggest issue as it pertains to black America is not white people or oppression. It's the fact that the populace has a very real issue of abandonment. Raise your ****ing children.

Lol what? Ashton Kutcher needs to slow down.
    I'm a 30 yr old white guy and I am in no way responsible for slavery. I wasn't alive then. My parents weren't alive. My grandparents weren't alive. My great grandparents were alive. Etc etc.
    **** out of here w that nonsense. Nobody today should feel responsible for the **** that went on back then.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Is he saying we should teach other races how to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

the thread title is absolutely misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    He's right, and it's an issue. But if we are being 100% here, the biggest issue as it pertains to black America is not white people or oppression. It's the fact that the populace has a very real issue of abandonment. Raise your ****ing children.
    perhaps we can help by not putting their fathers in prison? Or perhaps the cycle started due to benefits laws, then grew due to the war on drugs targeting blacks, etc? No doubt the black community must try harder to help themselves, but we can't just believe that since they are equal, on paper, that it just nullifies the cycle that us whites started generations ago..

Sure.

We could scream it out 10000000◊ that black families need to get better. Get an education. Raise your kids properly. Stay away from crime. Etc...

But at the same time, we have to be smart enough to understand WHY black families struggle in this area more than any other minority. And to act like blacks had the same opportunities as whites the day slavery ended is ridiculous, that modern blacks aren't and shouldn't be impacted by centuries of institutionalized racism is also ridiculous.

Racism plagues the uneducated.
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    perhaps we can help by not putting their fathers in prison? Or perhaps the cycle started due to benefits laws, then grew due to the war on drugs targeting blacks, etc? No doubt the black community must try harder to help themselves, but we can't just believe that since they are equal, on paper, that it just nullifies the cycle that us whites started generations ago..
    This!

It's a disturbingly vicious cycle initiated by Jim Crow laws.

We can do both here - educate and encourage blacks to carve out proper lives for themselves. At the end of the day, we will have to lift ourselves up.

Likewise, we educate and encourage whites of the inequalities that have impacted minorities and what white privilege means. At the end of the day, it's up to them to contribute however or whichever way they desire.

The Black America bit should really tell us how great this country is, given that the slave trade is alive and well outside of here. One of my Nigerian acquaintances has a real problem with the ego of American blacks. No reparations for current slaves as far as I can tell.

With regards to the parenting point, yes, that should be at the forefront of the black community, IMO this victim mentality is what allows them to think (yes Im painting with a broad brush here given that Im still learning) they have the leeway to say **** the world. The older I got the more I realized, its actually quite disgusting how rap music has glamorized indecent behavior (of which "white" children are buying incessantly now). A close Black-American friend of mine (I refuse to use the word African-American given that I've insulted both American and African alike with that [though it seems using Black is insulting too but Im on PSD so I'll let you guys tell me your preferred nomenclature]) hates that hes expected to talk a certain way and act a certain way. Even my thug cousins thought he was "white washed".

16. 04-08-2019, 04:49 PM
    Reason
    Racist comment - Rush

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast