Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 322

Thread: Offseason

  1. #166
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,250
    Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    I think it's far more likely fletcher dangles the first round pick for an immediate roster upgrade.

    With the amount of prospects in the pool I'm not that scared. It just depends on which impact player the flyers would acquire.
    #11 in this draft should get you someone pretty damn good

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    That's true... but you'd need a good 2C.

    Also, Podkolzin may fall in the first round, depending on what mock you look at...if he starts sliding past #7 or #8, do the Flyers look at trading up? Maybe a mid-round pick plus Allison to move up?

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Not sure I'd want to trade up for a guy that is going to be in Russia for at least 2 more years. If Turcotte starts to slide? Absolutely trade up.

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,605
    Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    And with this 2nd line center and backup goalie the Flyers will be a cup contender?
    I actually think so with full year of Hart, Myers, and if everyone plays to their potential ... and AMac is gone and if Frost can put up some points ...

    I can see it. We would be just as good at CBJ

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    At that rate, just go for Point. He'll cost you $9.5M to $10M AAV, but that's only a pair of firsts, plus a 2nd & 3rd.

    Couturier -- Point -- Patrick is one hell of a 1/2/3 punch. And you could likely trade Voracek to recoup at least most of that value traded away, then sign Panarin or Eberle to provide secondary scoring (and/or bring up Frost).
    Solid plan. Id like Bo horvat still because he is cheaper but Point is great. We should strongly consider RFA

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,250
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Solid plan. Id like Bo horvat still because he is cheaper but Point is great. We should strongly consider RFA
    I'll be curious to see how things in TBL go if they get bounced in the first round... that might shatter some of the TBL mystique.

    And the Lightning aren't exactly in a great cap situation now -- even though they have 3 top-20 players on below- market deals.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I actually think so with full year of Hart, Myers, and if everyone plays to their potential ... and AMac is gone and if Frost can put up some points ...

    I can see it. We would be just as good at CBJ
    In principle I can agree with this. I think overall we are talented enough to be a playoff team. However we also can't sleep walk through seasons like we have and continue to think as long we are infusing young guys that's enough to wake us up. But I don't think we need big sweeping changes on the roster........after gnawing on this offseason a little I think I sum it up similarly. I don't want to rotate parts just to rotate parts. Here's how I view what's needed in order:

    1. Find the right coach. We should have the talent to be a playoff team. We have to get away from this notion of the whole "well they are professionals, they are responsible for motivating themselves and starting games at the right level yada, yada, yada".........undeniably our play over the years has become more and more listless. We need a coach who is more of a hard charging taskmaster who will demand execution and a more aggressive style of play. I think changing the coaching message and demands would be the most impact we can make this off season. With that of course the special teams play needs a new and fresh approach. The means, methods and message of a head coach has more impact on creating the right playing atmosphere than we want to truly consider I think just because they are pro athletes. We need a guy with the street creds who's not afraid to come in and make real high end demands on the players.

    2. 2C. in all we still do need another upper end talent on that Top 9. I'd rather see G move to wing and still be available to be the emergency Center. Patty's development has been much slower than anyone hoped/expected for his draft spot. He needs another year at least in staying in the 3 spot to see where things go. Signing a quality 2C wold give us a pretty stout Top 9 when you consider contented growth of TK and Lindblom.

    3. I'm actually OK with leaving the defense in tact minus Hagg. I'd like to move him out somewhere. I think a full year of Provy, TS, PM, Ghost gives us a strong mix of offense and size. Gudas has seemed to tone down the chaos enough to become reliable and effective. Now here is where it gets tricky........hard to say where Morin is. Will his instincts and decision making be good enough and quick enough at this level? I dunno. But in theory the one thing I'd like to see the defense have is a player like him if it's not him. We need a guy with some size and snarl back there to add some grit back there. Yeah, TS and PM have the size but I think we need a guy like Morin who has that edge to his game where he's physically intimidating because he will smash you into the 3rd row. I think it's also important for Carter Hart because when guys start testing him and crashing the crease he has a guy with enough edge to stick up for him. Again, I'm not promoting Morin because to me the jury is still out whether the rest of his game can keep up with the NHL......but I"m ok with the other 5 I'd just prefer to move Hagg for a player with someone who could fill a role similar to Morin.

    4. Back up goalie......important but not important. I don't wanna get spooked because we did something stupid and went to a season with TWO injured guys. The least of my worries is finding a guy who can be a backup.

    5. The other tweak I would want is to inject a little more size down on the bottom 3. I'm not talking about getting plodding and slow.......I'm talking about adding a player with some lbs and a hit first type mentality. That's a minor tweak really but I think something we need in our game. Subtle without effecting the talent on the other lines.

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,004
    It's nice that the Flyers defense can provide some offense but just how good are they at playing defense?

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,250
    Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    It's nice that the Flyers defense can provide some offense but just how good are they at playing defense?
    Well, as long as they can deny zone entries and exit the defensive zone with possession consistently, their ability to "play defense" is a secondary concern. I think Provorov is actually quite good defensively; Sanheim & Myers are both coming along nicely. Ghost has never been a defensive stalwart, but he's passsble and more than compensates for his defensive shortcomings with offensive wizardry.

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    Well, as long as they can deny zone entries and exit the defensive zone with possession consistently, their ability to "play defense" is a secondary concern. I think Provorov is actually quite good defensively; Sanheim & Myers are both coming along nicely. Ghost has never been a defensive stalwart, but he's passsble and more than compensates for his defensive shortcomings with offensive wizardry.
    Their defense wasn't very good this past season. If it was they'd be a playoff team and a contender. Provorov didn't have a very good year. Ghost needs to put up much more offensive wizardry in order to make up for his defensive lapses.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,250
    Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    Their defense wasn't very good this past season. If it was they'd be a playoff team and a contender. Provorov didn't have a very good year. Ghost needs to put up much more offensive wizardry in order to make up for his defensive lapses.
    Agreed...but the talent and skill is there. Provorov needs to bounce back. Ghost needs thi stay healthy (he stood he was hampered by injury in exit interviews). TS & Myers need to continue to develop

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,212
    Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    Their defense wasn't very good this past season. If it was they'd be a playoff team and a contender. Provorov didn't have a very good year. Ghost needs to put up much more offensive wizardry in order to make up for his defensive lapses.
    They also need better defense from the forwards. Too much responsibility being put on the dmen

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    Agreed...but the talent and skill is there. Provorov needs to bounce back. Ghost needs thi stay healthy (he stood he was hampered by injury in exit interviews). TS & Myers need to continue to develop
    The back-end is actually fine. S full year of Hart and natural progression from Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, and Ghost should prove that. The biggest issue is that the Flyers are bad in the neutral zone. It's too easy for teams to breakout of their own end against the Flyers. It becomes even more magnified if any of you were fortunate enough(or u fortunate enough) to catch a couple of live games. The Flyers are always outnumbered on the breakout and the forwards make way to many mistakes with the puck. The overreaching theme is the Flyers lack of discipline and playing within the system. The Islanders-Penguins series is a perfect example of what can happen when everyone buys into the system and plays disciplined hockey.

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,250
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    The back-end is actually fine. S full year of Hart and natural progression from Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, and Ghost should prove that. The biggest issue is that the Flyers are bad in the neutral zone. It's too easy for teams to breakout of their own end against the Flyers. It becomes even more magnified if any of you were fortunate enough(or u fortunate enough) to catch a couple of live games. The Flyers are always outnumbered on the breakout and the forwards make way to many mistakes with the puck. The overreaching theme is the Flyers lack of discipline and playing within the system. The Islanders-Penguins series is a perfect example of what can happen when everyone buys into the system and plays disciplined hockey.
    That series is a perfect example of the difference between an elite coach and what the Flyers have had. The Flyers are objectively a more talented team top-to-bottom, but the Islanders actually play like a 5-man unit. That's what great coaching does.

    Imagine how good TBL would be if they had Trotz as their coach...
    Last edited by Ace23; 04-14-2019 at 04:08 PM.

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,004
    Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    They also need better defense from the forwards. Too much responsibility being put on the dmen
    I certainly don't disagree with that statement.

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,250
    Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    I certainly don't disagree with that statement.
    Well, having a good 2C would likely help.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •