Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    Gudas was the best Defenseman on the team this past season. I wouldn't be in a rush to move him.
    I"m not in a rush to move or suggesting he's a spare part......I just mention him since he's the oldest of that young core so if we were going to do something to mix things up a bit on the roster I'd choose to keep the four younger guys together as my first preference to continue to grow for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I"m not in a rush to move or suggesting he's a spare part......I just mention him since he's the oldest of that young core so if we were going to do something to mix things up a bit on the roster I'd choose to keep the four younger guys together as my first preference to continue to grow for the future.
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    feel free to say that again the next 100 times someone credits hextall for unwinding something paul holmgren did 6 years ago.

the problem with talking about the present and the future is that anything can happen. on the other hand, unlike the present and the future, the past has an answer sheet.

when you took a practice SAT test, did you answer all the questions, and then throw the test away without looking at the answer sheet? those specific practice questions won't be on the actual exam, so why would it matter what the answers are, right.

of course not. that's ****ing idiocy. without correcting your mistakes, you can't understand why you got a question wrong. and without understanding why you got that question wrong, you won't be any more likely to get the next one right. in fact, this is one of those areas where any mistaken assumptions will compound themselves if you they are not corrected.

the past has an answer sheet.

if you want to get better at understanding the present, you need to use it.
    Except, to use your analogy, you don't have the questions or the answers to the test. You don't know what deals were on the table, you don't know what FAs would or would not sign here (and what they wanted to do so), you don't know what the coaching staff asked for, you don't know what the players wanted/ said, you don't know what the scouting department advised.... the list goes on. We know relatively little about what actually was going on that led to the decisions that were made.

So you're looking at a bunch of events with the benefit of hindsight and selectively choosing which ones were right and which were wrong. But that's not how the world works. There are many, many shades of grey.

And, many times, there are moves that are right for one team at one time (like stocking prospects) that are diametrically opposed to what's right for that same team some time later (like trading those prospects for an NHL player).

I don’t think this offseason should be too complicated. The main priority should be getting a 2C whether it’s from a trade or FA. This allows G to stay at the wing. There’s a good chance one of Frost/ Farabee will be up at some point next season. We don’t need much at forward aside from another good center. We don’t want more of Laughton centering JVR.

The defense shouldn’t change much. Provorov and Ghost will be better next year. Ghost, provorov, sanheim and Myers should be our D core moving forward. I would prefer Gudas to stay and I’d honestly like to give Morin a shot as the number six. Ghost - Morin could be a good pair. Get Macd and Haag out of the everyday lineup and it will be better by subtraction.

Carter Hart arriving and performing is a game changer. We just need a competent back up.

A 2C and a league average backup goalie is all Fletcher should be concerned with.

Yes. As I have been saying since December when I posted about trading for Bo Horvat ... we need a legit 2nd line center and we should be trading for one that is able to grow with the team (max age like 25/26) and who puts up 60 points, 30 goals in a “down year”

If we can’t find anyone - we need to sign someone away that is worth it who is an RFA and deal with losing our 1st round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    It's more about how many *more* go in off our players vs. the NHL average. It feels like our guys are always in the wrong position or are not in a position to make a play on the puck, which causes the issues
    I constantly find myself asking why player x was doing that thing he was doing just before the puck went in lol. I've watched other teams play and this doesn't seem to be as much of an issue for them.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Yes. As I have been saying since December when I posted about trading for Bo Horvat ... we need a legit 2nd line center and we should be trading for one that is able to grow with the team (max age like 25/26) and who puts up 60 points, 30 goals in a “down year”

If we can’t find anyone - we need to sign someone away that is worth it who is an RFA and deal with losing our 1st round picks.
    At that rate, just go for Point. He'll cost you $9.5M to $10M AAV, but that's only a pair of firsts, plus a 2nd & 3rd.

Couturier -- Point -- Patrick is one hell of a 1/2/3 punch. And you could likely trade Voracek to recoup at least most of that value traded away, then sign Panarin or Eberle to provide secondary scoring (and/or bring up Frost).

So apparently the Flyers asked for permission to talk to Alain Vigneault. And Dan Bylsma.

So apparently the Flyers asked for permission to talk to Alain Vigneault. And Dan Bylsma.
    I'm not upset. I've seen both good and bad from each. Just hope they are patient enough to wait and see of the Predators series plays out....

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    I'm not upset. I've seen both good and bad from each. Just hope they are patient enough to wait and see of the Predators series plays out....
    I'd love to see TBL go down in the first round to the Jackets. And, of course, the Isles to take down the Pens.

I'd love to see TBL go down in the first round to the Jackets. And, of course, the Isles to take down the Pens.
    As would I. As I have bets on both the pre series dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MShark View Post
    I don’t think this offseason should be too complicated. The main priority should be getting a 2C whether it’s from a trade or FA. This allows G to stay at the wing. There’s a good chance one of Frost/ Farabee will be up at some point next season. We don’t need much at forward aside from another good center. We don’t want more of Laughton centering JVR.

The defense shouldn’t change much. Provorov and Ghost will be better next year. Ghost, provorov, sanheim and Myers should be our D core moving forward. I would prefer Gudas to stay and I’d honestly like to give Morin a shot as the number six. Ghost - Morin could be a good pair. Get Macd and Haag out of the everyday lineup and it will be better by subtraction.

Carter Hart arriving and performing is a game changer. We just need a competent back up.

A 2C and a league average backup goalie is all Fletcher should be concerned with.
    And with this 2nd line center and backup goalie the Flyers will be a cup contender?

Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    And with this 2nd line center and backup goalie the Flyers will be a cup contender?
    Add in a good coach, a legit starting goalie from the start of the season and natural progression from the youth on the team... they'd be a helluva a lot closer.

A high end number 2 center creates serious competitive advantages for the flyers. Whether its Giroux or a free agent. There arent many 3cs better than patrick or 4cs better than laughton.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    Add in a good coach, a legit starting goalie from the start of the season and natural progression from the youth on the team... they'd be a helluva a lot closer.

A high end number 2 center creates serious competitive advantages for the flyers. Whether its Giroux or a free agent. There arent many 3cs better than patrick or 4cs better than laughton.
    That's true... but you'd need a good 2C.

Also, Podkolzin may fall in the first round, depending on what mock you look at...if he starts sliding past #7 or #8, do the Flyers look at trading up? Maybe a mid-round pick plus Allison to move up?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's true... but you'd need a good 2C.

Also, Podkolzin may fall in the first round, depending on what mock you look at...if he starts sliding past #7 or #8, do the Flyers look at trading up? Maybe a mid-round pick plus Allison to move up?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I think it's far more likely fletcher dangles the first round pick for an immediate roster upgrade.

With the amount of prospects in the pool I'm not that scared. It just depends on which impact player the flyers would acquire.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast