Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 2290

Thread: Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    I'd also rather not have G and Voracek on the same line. Aside from both playing with Couturier, I haven't really liked the look of them together for some time. That said, Voracek is at his best with Couturier and has struggled for the past year and a half or so when he is away from him. Theoretically you could go:

Giroux-Hayes-Konecny
    Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek

That line with Couturier we've already seen work and be productive. And I think it is far more likely that Giroux can retain his offensive production away from Couturier than Voracek. The part that worries me a bit about that setup, is you lose quite a bit from the top line from Couturier to Hayes and Couturier being forced back into a little more of a shutdown role.

Could also in theory go:
    Giroux-Hayes-Konecny
    JVR-Couturier-Voracek

makes the top 6 more offensive, but I think I prefer JVR further down the lineup and dominating a little easier match-ups.

If you want to get really creative and spread things out:
    Giroux-Hayes-Frost
    Laughton-Couturier-Voracek
    Lindblom-Patrick-Konecny
    JVR-Rubstov-Raffl

Still think the best setup slots how I previously mentioned with a top line of Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
    The best top line we have had the past few years was the G-Couts-Voracek line when it first started. They were a top 5 line that year until they split them up.

If Patrick can show he is up to is and produces, I would even suggest this:

G-Patrick-Voracek
    Lindblom-Couts-TK
    JVR-Hayes-Frost

G-Patrick-lindblom/frost
    TK-Couts-Voracek
    JVR-Hayes-lindblom/frost

No to laughts in the top 6 for anything more than a few games. Bottom line is we have a ton of options the next few years. Good to have that and farabee/ratcliffe will make it even more interesting. I agree that JVR would be best to have on the 3rd line. He flourished in that role with toronto and he can do it again with top pp time and sheltered minutes with Patrick this year.

Could finally have a bottom 6 that produces and is solid defensively (4th line guys). Laughton and raffl are great together and are perfect role players for us. Would be awesome if we can get 80, 50-60, 40+ from Couts, Hayes, Patrick. That is solid contribution from top 3 centers and its pretty realistic. If the flyers can get that, have a revamped pk/pp, get solid goaltending from the tandem, AND have the d play better then we are in for a fun season.

Also, I think it was Iverson that made mention of this, but what do we all think of Couturier being left off the top 20 centers list? Personally I think it's a crock of ****. Right off the top of my head, ROR, Couture, Kuzy, Pettersson are pretty definitive that Couturier should be on this list above them. Many of them are debatable depending on what you value. Matthews, Burgeron, Point, Schiefele, Point, Malkin, Monahan. Strictly from a play driving stand point he is arguably better than everyone on this list. And it's not even debatable that he has a greater positive impact on his linemates than anyone on this list McDavid and Crosby included. It's pretty comical just how underrated Couturier still is.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    The best top line we have had the past few years was the G-Couts-Voracek line when it first started. They were a top 5 line that year until they split them up.

If Patrick can show he is up to is and produces, I would even suggest this:

G-Patrick-Voracek
    Lindblom-Couts-TK
    JVR-Hayes-Frost

G-Patrick-lindblom/frost
    TK-Couts-Voracek
    JVR-Hayes-lindblom/frost

No to laughts in the top 6 for anything more than a few games. Bottom line is we have a ton of options the next few years. Good to have that and farabee/ratcliffe will make it even more interesting. I agree that JVR would be best to have on the 3rd line. He flourished in that role with toronto and he can do it again with top pp time and sheltered minutes with Patrick this year.
    Here's the problem with any scenario that doesn't have Couturier and Giroux on the top line. As Charlie pointed out in his latest article on the athletic, Giroux has produced a 2.98 p/60 clip over the past 2 years when paired with Couturier. Better than McDavid's league best 2.95. Couturier's scoring rates also jump from 2.08 to 2.31. The impact both have had on each other is undeniable and gives the Flyers a truly elite #1 line.

Also, I think it was Iverson that made mention of this, but what do we all think of Couturier being left off the top 20 centers list? Personally I think it's a crock of ****. Right off the top of my head, ROR, Couture, Kuzy, Pettersson are pretty definitive that Couturier should be on this list above them. Many of them are debatable depending on what you value. Matthews, Burgeron, Point, Schiefele, Point, Malkin, Monahan. Strictly from a play driving stand point he is arguably better than everyone on this list. And it's not even debatable that he has a greater positive impact on his linemates than anyone on this list McDavid and Crosby included. It's pretty comical just how underrated Couturier still is.
    Absolute BS. Was so confused. Couture over Kopitar, toews, couts? Get the f outta here lol. Couture has never been great at faceoffs, never played the toi couts has, and never has scored more than couts despite playing with better linemates earlier in his career. Crazy lol

My top 20 would be mcdavid, crosby, mackinnon, barkov, tavares, bergeron, mathews, stamkos, seguin, 10. kopitar, scheifele, Malkin, Aho, Eichel, Seguin, Couts, ROR, Kuz, Backstrom, toews/Monahan. Lost of those can be switched for the order.

Here's the problem with any scenario that doesn't have Couturier and Giroux on the top line. As Charlie pointed out in his latest article on the athletic, Giroux has produced a 2.98 p/60 clip over the past 2 years when paired with Couturier. Better than McDavid's league best 2.95. Couturier's scoring rates also jump from 2.08 to 2.31. The impact both have had on each other is undeniable and gives the Flyers a truly elite #1 line.
    ya I would only do this IF patrick really elevates his game to the point where there isn't a huge drop off. Then separating couts/g would make us really deep. Until patrick can show that then G-Couts tandem stays together.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    Absolute BS. Was so confused. Couture over Kopitar, toews, couts? Get the f outta here lol. Couture has never been great at faceoffs, never played the toi couts has, and never has scored more than couts despite playing with better linemates earlier in his career. Crazy lol

My top 20 would be mcdavid, crosby, mackinnon, barkov, tavares, bergeron, mathews, stamkos, seguin, 10. kopitar, scheifele, Malkin, Aho, Eichel, Seguin, Couts, ROR, Kuz, Backstrom, toews/Monahan. Lost of those can be switched for the order.
    Kuzy and Monahan don't really belong on the list either. I'll give some thought to this and give my top 20.

Kuzy and Monahan don't really belong on the list either. I'll give some thought to this and give my top 20.
    ya i think toews, trocheck, larkin, petterson, zibenajad, barzal, point are the next guys. I would be fine with taking kuz and monahan out and putting toews, point, larkin in for them. Trocheck, larkin, zibanejad, barzal, point can take over some spots if they put up 70+ repeatedly. All great players

If you want to get really creative and spread things out:
    Giroux-Hayes-Frost
    Laughton-Couturier-Voracek
    Lindblom-Patrick-Konecny
    JVR-Rubstov-Raffl
    i have to say, i kind of like the look of that. i might suggest a few slight alterations:

giroux - hayes - frost
    laughton - couturier - voracek
    JVR - patrick - konecny
    lindblom - boyle - raffl

swap JVR for lindblom (there just isn't enough icetime for JVR on the 4th line) and then, of course, throw my guy boyle in there to center lindblom and raffl on the 4th line.

well in 4 years, g and jvr aren't signed so i left them out. I also would not want to resign them at that age when we have the young talent in the nhl
    my point was just that we don't have to look 4 years into the future anymore to see the wave of talent that's coming.

unlike hextall, fletcher seems to trust prospects enough to give them a fair chance to make the team.
    ya my issue is that, while laughton take "some" defensive responsibilities off patrick, he does nothing to make patrick go from a 30pt guy to a 60 pt guy. Not saying other forwards can do that (its ultimately up to patricks development to get there really) but having more talent can help him grow confidence offensively. Lindblom is solid enough of a 2 way player that replacing him with laughton is a drop off.
    there's also the chance that things start clicking for patrick now that he's in year 3, which would make the difference between playing with laughton or lindblom relatively meaningless.

side note:
    this discussion just gave me a flashback to....6(?) years ago, when i was talking about the benefit of putting max talbot on the top line with g+v, so that we'd be able to stretch our offensive talent across 3 lines.

Could finally have a bottom 6 that produces and is solid defensively (4th line guys). Laughton and raffl are great together and are perfect role players for us. Would be awesome if we can get 80, 50-60, 40+ from Couts, Hayes, Patrick. That is solid contribution from top 3 centers and its pretty realistic. If the flyers can get that, have a revamped pk/pp, get solid goaltending from the tandem, AND have the d play better then we are in for a fun season.
    yup.

at the very least, it'll be a relief to have a GM that isn't being evaluated for a case study on schroedinger's tanking.

<edit>
    a quick clarification:
    that was not meant as a shot at any individual poster. i am just legitimately happy to have a GM whose priority is winning games. i'm still not sure whether fletcher is going to be good at that, but judging the quality of his performance will be fairly straightforward, one way or the other. after the last 5+ years, that's a relief.
    Last edited by steagles; 08-10-2019 at 09:41 PM.