Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 136 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 2031
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    31,409
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Callaway demonstrated last year he was a terrible manager. And he's showing it again already this season.
    Not a fan of what I've seen. He's been making even more questionable decisions than TC used to IMO. But it is what it is. We are always going to question decisions that Managers make and a big part of that is because we aren't in the clubhouse so we don't have the full insight into the long term agenda. As fans we always look at it one game at a time, but the Manager is thinking about 162 games and has a general plan with how to use certain players throughout the season that we don't have knowledge of. Also, we don't have all the advanced stats that Managers have at their disposal, so it's natural for fans to question certain decisions when the "surface stats" show something that suggests another move should be made.

    Not trying to make excuses for the guy, but it's a common disconnect between fans and Managers that I think all teams probably go through. If you win, you don't hear about it as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    31,409
    Managing has really become a thankless job. When you win it's because of the GM or the players, but when the team fails, the Manager is usually the first to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    8,243
    My only question is when the hell is Rosario going to learn to hit?

    His stance when he swings is so wild and he has no plan when he goes up there. He's swinging for the fences.

    And for all this talk about his speed, he sure gets thrown out on slow grounder so easy.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    ...We are always going to question decisions that Managers make and a big part of that is because we aren't in the clubhouse so we don't have the full insight into the long term agenda. As fans we always look at it one game at a time, but the Manager is thinking about 162 games and has a general plan with how to use certain players throughout the season that we don't have knowledge of. Also, we don't have all the advanced stats that Managers have at their disposal, so it's natural for fans to question certain decisions when the "surface stats" show something that suggests another move should be made.

    Not trying to make excuses for the guy, but it's a common disconnect between fans and Managers that I think all teams probably go through. If you win, you don't hear about it as much.
    How many times have I tried to make this point? Glad someone else is also trying.

    I find it ironic that fans criticize the Mets for not having a bigger analytics staff, but when analytics might be applied to certain decisions they go bonkers. For example taking McNeil out of Sunday's lineup. Some fans across the Interweb seemed irked. Calloway stated that McNeil's 4-hit performance in game 2 was not a reliable predictor for how he would do against Corbin:

    Getting four hits [Saturday] is never an indicator of how a person is going to do today,” Callaway said... Just because McNeil got four hits [Saturday] doesn’t mean that is going to happen again against a person that is totally different. We always take what they did the day before into account as well, but I don’t think it’s a great predictor.”
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,652
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    They also said he was a butcher in the field. Not saying he's Keith Hernandez, but I've seen nothing in his defensive game that concerns me. He saved several bad throws this weekend. Maybe he doesn't have speed or range, but he's a slugging 1B so that's expected.

    The more I see him, the more I believe this was all just a narrative created to explain away his continued languishing in the minors.
    He definitely has a slow 1st step.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    13,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    He definitely has a slow 1st step.
    Yeah but so do many other 1B. I don't see how this translates to the crap that has been said about him over the last 12 months.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    64,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    How many times have I tried to make this point? Glad someone else is also trying.

    I find it ironic that fans criticize the Mets for not having a bigger analytics staff, but when analytics might be applied to certain decisions they go bonkers. For example taking McNeil out of Sunday's lineup. Some fans across the Interweb seemed irked. Calloway stated that McNeil's 4-hit performance in game 2 was not a reliable predictor for how he would do against Corbin:
    Yeah but I thought that was a lame excuse to bench McNeil. I think it’s becoming increasingly obvious that the Mets are a better team with McNeil in the lineup — wherever he plays and against RHP or LHP. It doesn’t make sense to bench one of your best players when he’s hot.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,868
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Yeah but I thought that was a lame excuse to bench McNeil. I think it’s becoming increasingly obvious that the Mets are a better team with McNeil in the lineup — wherever he plays and against RHP or LHP. It doesn’t make sense to bench one of your best players when he’s hot.
    Chances are decent some statistical evidence backs up Calloway's statement. What analytics are you using? What data backs up your argument?
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    64,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Chances are decent some statistical evidence backs up Calloway's statement. What analytics are you using? What data backs up your argument?
    McNeil can’t be stopped. He even had a 124 wRC+ against LHP last season

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,233
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    McNeil can’t be stopped. He even had a 124 wRC+ against LHP last season
    You don't get tired of this routine after 8 years of sharing this forum? You know what Dug's answer is going to be. We're misinformed or have a lack of information to make an educated decision.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-01-2019 at 10:23 PM.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    31,568
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    McNeil can’t be stopped. He even had a 124 wRC+ against LHP last season
    He can be stopped. By the manager

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Chances are decent some statistical evidence backs up Calloway's statement. What analytics are you using? What data backs up your argument?
    Could you provide that statistical evidence that backs up Calloway’s statement?


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,868

    All Things NL East & Around Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Could you provide that statistical evidence that backs up Calloway’s statement?
    I cannot since I dont have access to the Mets database. Since the Mets are committed to using analytics I feel comfortable believing they are using them.

    As it stands both Broxton and Lagares were productive in his place as well.

    It is as I predicted. Fans were upset Mets did not have a deep analytic department and criticized team’s lack of depth. Now that the Mets have increased both analytics staff and team depth fans will complain about frequent lineups changes. It is as I predicted because fans are good at one thing, complaining.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dugmet; 04-02-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    31,568
    Kevin Pillar just went to the Giants. Guy who can't hit at all but still puts up about 3 WAR a season. Kind of what we expected of Lagares

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,342
    Acuna signing an 8 year $100million extension with the Braves with options to take it up to 10 years $124million

Page 4 of 136 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •