Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 132 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 2031
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Smith's agent made a bold play: teams had until the end of the day to submit their best bid or they would accept the QO. Probably didn't want to drag out free agency and end up like Kimbrel and co. last year. Braves went big fast.
    That’s really smart!

Smith's agent made a bold play: teams had until the end of the day to submit their best bid or they would accept the QO. Probably didn't want to drag out free agency and end up like Kimbrel and co. last year. Braves went big fast.
    Perhaps a common sense approach is replacing the arrogance we've seen in recent years. In the past, teams would make fair if not over-the-top offers early and players would wait for better offers to come. So they turned them down and waited.

And the next thing they knew it was mid May and they were still without a contract.

It's refreshing to see an early signing.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

I'm curious to see if the Astros sign-stealing investigation impacts their ability to sign FAs. It's tough because it's unlikely that we'll know the extent of their punishment -- picks, $$, suspensions to Hinch, etc. -- and how much it might hurt their short or long term prospects (if at all) for a while.

Yankees today released Jacoby Ellsbury and ate the final year on his contract, a $26.1 million meal.

Grandal to White Sox: 4 years, $73 million.

Grandal to White Sox: 4 years, $73 million.
    For context, Mets offered him 4/$60 last year; he got 1/$18.25 from Brewers. This new deal is basically $18.25 per year. He played it well.

For context, Mets offered him 4/$60 last year; he got 1/$18.25 from Brewers. This new deal is basically $18.25 per year. He played it well.
    People laughed at him for it too.

Good for Grandal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Looks like the White Sox are in the lead to get Wheeler too. Meanwhile that doesn't beat our terrific offseason of Moving Lugo to the rotation and just expect Diaz to go from run over dogsh^t to an dominant close again lol

I’m reading that with MLB attempting to get rid of minor league franchises, that the Cyclones could be the Mets AA team...I hate the concept of putting all of these people out of work but I would love if Brooklyn would be our AA team. I would go to dozens of games a year.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I’m reading that with MLB attempting to get rid of minor league franchises, that the Cyclones could be the Mets AA team...I hate the concept of putting all of these people out of work but I would love if Brooklyn would be our AA team. I would go to dozens of games a year.

Tim Tebow comes to Coney Island?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Tim Tebow comes to Coney Island?
    He would have fit in well with all the sideshow circus acts from the 1940's, 50s and 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    People laughed at him for it too.

Good for Grandal.

I went to war with MW69 over this, IIRC. I knew he was going to get a good deal. He played it extremely well.

Yet another quality player the Mets don't land.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    I went to war with MW69 over this, IIRC. I knew he was going to get a good deal. He played it extremely well.

He bet on himself.
    I like players who do this.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post

Good for him but its not like I didn't expect Grandal to make good money in FA. I just thought what the Mets offered him was fair. He had come off an awful postseason where he was benched for his bad defense/no offense and he didn't have the resume that justified 100 million dollars (which reportedly that's what he was originally looking for).

It helped that he had a very good 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Good for him but its not like I didn't expect Grandal to make good money in FA. I just thought what the Mets offered him was fair. He had come off an awful postseason where he was benched for his bad defense/no offense and he didn't have the resume that justified 100 million dollars (which reportedly that's what he was originally looking for).

It helped that he had a very good 2019.
    I remember you saying he cost himself a lot of money by going this route. He didn't. He got a good slice more than we offered him -- which, I agree, was a good offer last year. My issue was, if he's going to take a one-year deal instead of the long-term deal, we should have been all over that. Instead, we panicked when he didn't take the deal and signed a DH pretending to be a catcher.

Brodie talked about improving our defense, but to this point it hasn't gotten any better. And now it won't be, at least not at the catcher's position.