Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 149 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2469
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Metsblog is making it sound like the original reports of it being only the Mets and Yankees interested are correct, and Betances has gonea round trying to drum up offers as leverage since the Yankees dropped out.
    The Mets should just keep waiting and they might get him on a 1 year 5 million dollar deal.
    The fact the Yankees have no interest is a huge red flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit999 View Post
    The Mets should just keep waiting and they might get him on a 1 year 5 million dollar deal.
    The Yankees "not being interested" could just be a red herring. Something where they are just looking to bring him back at a lower price than what he is asking. Not to mention, the Yankees already have a super deep bullpen. There's also a matter of the Yankees being over the luxury tax.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-18-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The Yankees "not being interested" could just be a red herring. Something where they are just looking to bring him back at a lower price than what he is asking. Not to mention, the Yankees already have a super deep bullpen. There's also a matter of the Yankees being over the luxury tax.
    If the Yankees wanted him they'd have signed him already.

Yeah

If the Yankees wanted him they'd have signed him already.
    Even the Yankees have a budget. Even the Yankees try to get FA at their price from time to time. Its not a need so I'm sure they're not rushing to give him 10 million dollars.

Look, I get there are concerns with Betances but how many guys strikeout 16 batters per 9 innings, have a 100 mph fastball and a dominant hook? They need dominant arms and this may be the cheapest they can acquire one.

All Things NL East & Around Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Breathe in. Breathe out. This crappy year is almost over. The way ole FoC sees it, 2020 HAS to be better.
    I was just telling my wife what a tough year it has been for us.
    Last edited by Claymation; 12-18-2019 at 11:32 PM.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Look, I get there are concerns with Betances but how many guys strikeout 16 batters per 9 innings, have a 100 mph fastball and a dominant hook? They need dominant arms and this may be the cheapest they can acquire one.
    No wipe out slider no care

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Itís like this year never happened. It was over before I knew it. I still write projections for 2019 and then realize weíre in 2019

It's probably just budgetary. Yanks fell out of the race after signing Cole, so...

I do think it's troubling that he isn't actually drawing tons of interest, but I don't think we can afford not to at this point. We haven't added any other pen arms.

2019 has been a S!%# show for me so....
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    2019 has been a S!%# show for me so....
    Sorry to hear that. I do enjoy having a conversation with you, if that's worth anything.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Sorry to hear that. I do enjoy having a conversation with you, if that's worth anything.
    Back at ya, sir. But only when we disagree
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Yeah magnified by one really bad deal. Lowrie didn't help either but its difficult to forecast injury. All I'm saying is even Alderson had mixed results and it was confounded by poor ownership. This isn't that much different. Brodie has more chances to screw up though because he's made a lot more moves than Alderson did through the first 2 years of his tenure. Heck, Brodie made more moves than Alderson in 5 or 6 years.
    - Cano and Diaz trade (inexcusable miscalculation of assets IMO)

- Lowrie was not the type of player we needed especially after already acquiring Cano

- Familia didnít seem too bad at the time but it now looks like a brutal contract for a reliever

- Ramos I cant hate on too much because I wanted him badly and I still think it is a solid contract (his second half last year gives me hope for 2020)

So those are the bad moves (Ramos is TBD). But beyond that, itís also the ones he didnít make that bother me. Going into the season with Vargas when Charlie Morton was so available was a killer. I wanted Morton badly and donít see why he wasnít an option. Not just him, but anyone who could have challenged Vargas for a rotation spot and provide depth.

I just donít trust Brodie. His Cano trade showed an inability to properly value assets, his Lowrie signing showed an ability to properly determine the areas of need for the roster, and the way he handled Wheeler showed a miscalculation of the market. Itís been a short time for him as GM, but there are serious warts that have been exposed.

Beyond all that, I severely disagree with the type of players he brings in a lot of the time. Maybe a bit of arrogance on my part, but there are too many times where Brodie brings in a player that I just donít project good production from (like Porcello and Wacha for example). I get that those are 1 year low risk deals, but they are also players I donít think will produce at a high enough level to take this team where it needs to be. Thatís the real risk here... that we arenít adding enough production to compete at the highest level.

I know you donít love Ryu probably because of his age, but his production and underlying metrics are strong. His last two years show what he is capable of. I donít know what type of contract he will receive, but I would have liked to see the Mets at least pursue him.

I just donít agree with a lot of his moves or the way he values players a lot of the time. I donít trust him and his lack of experience. Brodie has to prove me wrong to win me over and so far he hasnít.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 12-19-2019 at 06:49 PM.

JD Davis is the one good move I give him a lot of credit for.

I guess the Degrom extension too. Being his former agent probably helped out a bit there, but I think a Degrom extension was inevitable because Degrom wanted to be here long term. Regardless of who was GM, I think a deal would have been reached.