Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 223 of 242 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,345 of 3622
    Passan is reporting that the Mariners are calling up Kelenic.

I wish him the best.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Joel Sherman

Sorry, I fell for a fake account about the Mariners promoting Kelenic. Should have been more suspicious since the Mariners were going to play on road tomorrow and you would think they will want this debut at home. Sorry again.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Kelenic being called up on Thursday. Can't wait to see him be a major bust.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Kelenic being called up on Thursday. Can't wait to see him be a major bust.
    Wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Wishful thinking.
    I am curious to see if he is a CF. If he isn't, then the trade that was made a couple years ago looks much better for us. We have enough corner OFers on the team now and in the forseeable future. It is CF that is the problem. I have no doubt that Crow-Armstrong will be a fine CF and that guys like Pillar and maybe Hill will get us to C-A in 2 or 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    I am curious to see if he is a CF. If he isn't, then the trade that was made a couple years ago looks much better for us. We have enough corner OFers on the team now and in the forseeable future. It is CF that is the problem. I have no doubt that Crow-Armstrong will be a fine CF and that guys like Pillar and maybe Hill will get us to C-A in 2 or 3 years.
    Hope you're right. The problem is, even if Kelenic is a corner OFer, it's not a stretch to think that a year from now he could be a better offensive player than everyone on this roster.

I hope this post is a joke.

Unless Kelenic is a bust, or Diaz suddenly becomes the guy he was in 2019 again - and forever - the trade is a disaster.

It's about to cost us a ton of money to keep a very flawed Michael Conforto. If Kelenic rakes, then letting Conforto walk doesn't hurt. This calls back to Sandy's "sustainable winner" promise a decade ago.

You have no idea what Crow-Armstrong will be.

That is true. This offseason, regardless of where we end up in the standings, we will be looking for a CF (because Nimmo will move to one of the corners), a corner OF (for Dom's spot), a 3b (to improve defense) and probably 1 or 2 SPs, and of course we always will be looking for relievers.

I suspect that Conforto, Stroman and potentially Syndergaard may walk.

If the NL does adopt the DH, then we have plenty of those on the current team and into 2022 - namely Alonso and Smith (not sure Davis will be signed for 2022 - that all depends on how this year goes). And, of course, if he can clean up his act, Cano will be back.
    Last edited by swbwtr; 05-11-2021 at 09:59 AM.

That is true. This offseason, regardless of where we end up in the standings, we will be looking for a CF (because Nimmo will move to one of the corners), a corner OF (for Dom's spot), a 3b (to improve defense) and probably 1 or 2 SPs, and of course we always will be looking for relievers.

I suspect that Conforto, Stroman and potentially Syndergaard may walk.

If the NL does adopt the DH, then we have plenty of those on the current team and into 2022 - namely Alonso and Smith (not sure Davis will be signed for 2022 - that all depends on how this year goes). And, of course, if he can clean up his act, Cano will be back.
    Ugh, every time I forget, I am reminded that Robinson Cano is a thing.

I believe that Cano may have seen his last days with the Mets but If he does stay on, it will be as a bench player.

Jarred Kelenic is going to be called up Thursday by Seattle to make his debut at home against Cleveland.

The clock will begin at that point in the most powerful way on just how destructive the Mets trade of Kelenic was. So far, so bad. Since the Mets dealt Kelenic to the Mariners in December 2018:

1. He has become a top-10 prospect in the sport. If still a Met, he would have provided security if Michael Conforto left via free agency after this season or be one of the most valuable trade chips in the sport — certainly much more valuable than when the Mets took on Edwin Diaz and Robinson Cano.

2. Justin Dunn, the Mets’ first pick in 2016, has become a useful starter (3.51 ERA in five starts), albeit one that still walks too many batters.

3. Cano is amid a season-long suspension for violating MLB’s drug policy a second time (the Mets acquired him after the 2018 campaign, though he had missed half of that year with his first suspension). The Mets are not paying Cano this year. But he returns next season still owed $48 million for two years (the Mariners will pay $7.5 million of that). The Mets will have to decide if he is a sunk cost and just let him go (Cano will be 39). There will probably be a DH in the NL next year as part of a new collective bargaining agreement and the Mets could see if Cano’s usefulness as a hitter endures.

Think of the opportunity costs lost by the Mets of having Cano expensively and not Kelenic inexpensively. That leaves just one avenue to save this trade from all-time infamy — Diaz needs to be at least a high-end closer on a playoff team, perhaps a championship club. If the Mets win the World Series then like the Cubs dealing Gleyber Torres for Aroldis Chapman and winning it all in 2016, the trade becomes worthwhile no matter what. There is only one championship given out annually and the Mets haven’t won it since 1986.

The belief in Diaz remains tenuous largely because his 2019 Mets debut went so poorly: 5.59 ERA and 15 homers in 58 innings (in the regular season, Chapman has allowed 15 homers since 2015, covering 311 appearances and 307 1-3 innings). Over the past two years — albeit in only 40 innings — Diaz has the third best relief Wins Above Average (Fangraphs) behind James Karinchak and Liam Hendriks. The righty has struck out 40.5 percent of batters faced, fifth best among those with at least 30 relief innings. And Diaz had yielded just two homers, or 0.45 per nine innings, 14th best among relievers with at least 30 innings.
    https://nypost.com/2021/05/11/the-on...gn=android_nyp

Its funny you never hear about the fact that the White Sox traded Fernando Tatis Jr. for that dumpster fire James Shield but you constantly hear about the Mets trading Kelenic for Cano and Diaz.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Its funny you never hear about the fact that the White Sox traded Fernando Tatis Jr. for that dumpster fire James Shield but you constantly hear about the Mets trading Kelenic for Cano and Diaz.
    You mean a New York newspaper isn't keeping up with prospects a Chicago-based team traded away? Must be a conspiracy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    You mean a New York newspaper isn't keeping up with prospects a Chicago-based team traded away? Must be a conspiracy!!!
    No I'm not talking about it from a New York media perspective. I'm talking about the coverage it gets from national sports media, the typical baseball writer punditry on social media, etc.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...82199261224962

And I like Jeff Passan but give me a break. Its typical narrative ******** the media loves to pick on Met fans about because its easy clickbait. Not dismissing the shittiness of the trade but its obvious the intent behind doing all that.
    Last edited by metswon69; 05-11-2021 at 05:06 PM.