Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 182 of 196 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 2938
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I don't disagree but there's 29 other teams out there with needs to fill too.
    No doubt. The only thing is the landscape around baseball doesn't suggest a ton of teams adding significant payroll. Maybe that changes as we get deeper into the offseason but that's going to depend on how fluid a vaccine is in regards to getting people back to the ballpark. I mean you have teams like the Rockies, Cubs, Indians, looking to trade star players. If i was a betting man, the only serious buyers this offseason will be the Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, White Sox, Giants, Padres (maybe), Phillies, Blue Jays, and that's probably it. I think the Braves did most of what they were going to do this offseason with Smyly and Morton.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-25-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    No doubt. The only thing is the landscape around baseball doesn't suggest a ton of teams adding significant payroll. Maybe that changes as we get deeper into the offseason but that's going to depend on how fluid a vaccine is in regards to getting people back to the ballpark. I mean you have teams like the Rockies, Cubs, Indians, looking to trade star players. If i was a betting man, the only serious buyers this offseason will be the Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, White Sox, Giants, Padres (maybe), Phillies, Blue Jays, and that's probably it. I think the Braves did most of what they were going to do this offseason with Smyly and Morton.
    I basically agree with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Based on what? I wouldn't be at all surprised if they got one of the two (and predict that they'll nab Springer) but saying the acquisition of both is a "done deal" seems very hopeful and/or premature.
    Yes it does. I have no proof, just what I think.
    Most teams are taking a loss and can't afford them.
    New ownership can afford them and have legitimate needs for them.
    They are young enough to help the team long term.

Bauer basically begging to come to the Mets, praising Cohen etc...
    Springer is a true CF, great athlete and hitter. Also great clubhouse guy with great attitude. He also is from the area, Connecticut, and plugs in perfectly as a CF RH power bat... money won't be an issue getting him here.

Thats just what I think... it makes too much sense.

I don't think Realmuto wants to play here, Philly can afford him and he likes it there, I think the Mets have a better shot with McCann if they can be the highest bidder (Yankees?)

But Bauer and Springer are done deals IMO.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

If Brodie were here, Iíd say Bauer and Springer are done deals. Iím not sure what strategy Sandy is going to implement as president/interim GM. Just because we have money to spend, Iím not sold on him signing guys to huge deals until I see it happen.

5. 11-26-2020, 03:01 AM

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I'd hope the Mets get Springer or Realmuto and Bauer. They really need 2 impact players then you can add a McCann (if they get Springer) and fill out their depth. I understand that's a lot of payroll to add but one of those guys isn't going to cut it unless they find multiple other pieces in trade.

Whatever the case is, to be in it next season they need to make more than just a couple of moves.
    I donít think itís a lot of payroll, compared to last yearís payroll; Cano, Cespedes, Wright, Ramos, Porcello, and Lowrie came off the books...sure Stroman got a huge raise, but I would be disappointed if we didnít get 2 big players. I fully expect 2 big big players, Iíll be mildly surprised with 3 big players

Iíd prefer the free agent route because we have a thin but high upside farm system, but you never know if a Mike Stanton type of deal comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    I donít think itís a lot of payroll, compared to last yearís payroll; Cano, Cespedes, Wright, Ramos, Porcello, and Lowrie came off the books...sure Stroman got a huge raise, but I would be disappointed if we didnít get 2 big players. I fully expect 2 big big players, Iíll be mildly surprised with 3 big players

Iíd prefer the free agent route because we have a thin but high upside farm system, but you never know if a Mike Stanton type of deal comes along.
    That hasn't worked out so well for the Yanks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    If Brodie were here, Iíd say Bauer and Springer are done deals. Iím not sure what strategy Sandy is going to implement as president/interim GM. Just because we have money to spend, Iím not sold on him signing guys to huge deals until I see it happen.
    Well he and his regime did covet Springer in the draft, unfortunately he was drafted prior to their pick.

He signed Cespedes and Wright to big deals.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

All Things NL East & Around Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Well he and his regime did covet Springer in the draft, unfortunately he was drafted prior to their pick.

He signed Cespedes and Wright to big deals.
    Wright and Cespedes played for the Mets.

Wright was the face of the franchise and Cespedes was a move that he made that helped set us up on the World Series run.

He hasnít signed anyone outside the organization to a huge deal as Mets GM. The biggest contract he gave out was Granderson 4/60.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Its a lot of payroll in the sense of you're probably adding 300-400 milllion dollars in total salary. Maybe more depending on how active they are. In terms of annual salary, yeah not so much. At least not for a team that can carry a big market payroll like this team now are able to. I have my reservations that Sandy (and whoever the GM is) are going to be that aggressive. I know Sandy's previous tenure was a product of the people he worked for but I don't know if it was all that. We'll find out. I think Springer is a real possibility because Sandy wanted to draft him. I'm not sure about the rest. They need pitching desperately though.

He already commented on Bauer and Springer.

Just found out they are looking at Christian Vazquez, as Boston is looking at the Mets minor leagues. He was someone I would hope they would go after.

Now there are rumors about Lindor.

Should be a fun off season but a better in season.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Just found out they are looking at Christian Vazquez, as Boston is looking at the Mets minor leagues. He was someone I would hope they would go after.

I just don't think that the Mets should be making trades to futher deplete our farm system. At least intitally we should use the free agent route. Both Lindor and Vazquez will cost us prospects. Springer , Bauer , McCann and 2 relievers would be an excellent off season.

This team can talk all they want. Its a matter of the Mets doing. There is no real reason why they can't get whatever FA (s) they want. They have an owner who is worth 3 times more than the next owner in baseball, wants to win now, and is willing to spend the money on multiple players if Alderson (and said GM) tell him this is who we should invest in.

It should be go big or go home. If they come out with one of Bauer or Springer, its a mediocre offseason imo. No point to trade for Lindor when Story, Lindor, Seager, Baez and Correa, are all FA next offseason.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-27-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Meghan Montemurro
    The Phillies notified employees Wednesday afternoon in an email, obtained by @TheAthletic, that more than 80 front office positions were eliminated, on the business side and baseball side, via buyouts and layoffs

I think they might be out of the Realmuto sweepstakes.

Meghan Montemurro
    The Phillies notified employees Wednesday afternoon in an email, obtained by @TheAthletic, that more than 80 front office positions were eliminated, on the business side and baseball side, via buyouts and layoffs

I think they might be out of the Realmuto sweepstakes.
    Damn, we might get all three. Yankees and Dodgers might be the only competition this year.
    I'm confident we won't be doing stupid things like bidding against ourselves for players... could be a perfect storm for us to improve the team long term and keep all our prospects.

Philly had "stupid money" just a couple of years ago... can't believe they are broke now.

I guess it costs a lot of money to try and rig an election.... hahaha

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

There will be more teams in for big FA than just the Mets, Yankees and Dodgers.