Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 192 of 201 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 3015
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Dan Bankhead was the 1st black pitcher,
    He also hit a HR in his 1st at bat.
    He is also the 1st black person to appear in the World Series along with Jackie Robinson.

Paige is the 1st In the AL.

Larry Doby is the 1st to hit a HR in a WS.
    CORRECT . He also got bombed in his first start

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Wow, they’re going to be very good and very young
    They're all in. Looks like they're going to get Darvish and possibly a catcher from the Cubs. Hope it jump starts some additional action.

Dennis Lin
    @dennistlin
    · 11m
    The Padres have reached an agreement with Ha-seong Kim, a source tells The Athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Dennis Lin
    @dennistlin
    · 11m
    The Padres have reached an agreement with Ha-seong Kim, a source tells The Athletic.
    They are also in talks to acquire Yu Darvish.

Damn, they're gonna be the team to beat

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

But mortgage their entire future

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Amazing trade for Tampa Bay... watch this be Archer part 2 in a few years

Yeah, so amazing to reach the World Series and then tear it all down months later.

Hopefully this lights a fire under some *****

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Yeah, so amazing to reach the World Series and then tear it all down months later.

Yes, this is what has been happening in major league baseball for years. Even the teams in Kansas City (the Athletics in the 50s and 60s before they moved to Oakland) were considered a farm team for the Yankees. The so-called small market towns seem to end up trading their cream but bringing in top prospects. These teams are not necessarily in cities with small populations but where baseball is not a primary sport as it is in St. Louis, Atlanta, NY, Chicago, Philly, LA and maybe a few others. So when the Marlins or Rays or Seattle or even Oakland get to the World Series they can't keep all their stars. They win once in awhile, then seemingly go in an immediate rebuilding stage afterwards. It isn't surprising to see the Rays doing it now.

I say this because this should never be the Mets MO. They should never be in rebuild mode, instead they should always be in the tweaking to get even better mode. I like what the new owner says. He is after all a true Mets fan first and foremost, instead of a Brooklyn Dodgers fan who was trying to make the Mets into his old Dodgers like the previous owner. I just hope that his front office can get it done - the jury is still out on all of them, including Mr. Money Ball. Yes, Sandy, we can spend money now. Please don't go into vapor lock and wait too long until the free agents are all gone and please don't settle for the second best free agent each and every time.

If Springer wants one more year, give it to him. In a few years he can move to a corner and hopefully Crow-Armstrong develops as our CF by then. If not, then we go get a younger CF 3 years from now, either via FA or trade. If we end up with a bottleneck in LF and RF, one of them can DH or we trade from surplus. We know the DH will likely be in the NL, if not in 2021, then certainly in 2022. I fully endorse and expect this front office to trade J.D. Davis and possibly Dom Smith (although I think we still need Dom for 2021) to bring in a 3b or an SP. Neither J.D. nor Dom should be considered anything but emergency OFers.

Padres are the Padres though. Don't get me wrong, they have put together a nice looking team...on paper. I have always felt that organization just has too much sun on the brain at a steady 70 degrees. I truly do believe winning Championships just isn't the first thing on anyone's minds there. The FO, the fans, nor the players.

I just don't see any reason to believe their .617 winning percentage was sustainable over a full season. I don't even believe that of the Dodgers who literally won 3/4s of their games in 2020. That doesn't mean the Padres didn't deserve the playoff run, they did based on last season. They just seem like an organization that maybe pursues a couple big names every once and awhile. But just goes with the flow and is happy just sitting in the sun all year long. The fan base is not as rabid for titles as, let's say, some east coast fans are...so the pressure to get it done now isn't as high. I am not trying to rain on the Padre parade here, I do think they will be a very good team. But the team to beat? Nah. I just don't see it.

But that is not going to stop the chugging MLB writers from pumping out article after article claiming SD the team to beat and pairing them up with future FA deals like Bauher and Springer for no reason.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 12-30-2020 at 04:04 PM.

As per MLB.com

Report: Mets, Blue Jays the finalists for Springer

Dec. 30: According to a report from Deesha Thosar of the New York Daily News, the Springer race is down to two teams: the Mets and the Blue Jays.

However, SNY’s Andy Martino reported earlier on Wednesday that the Mets and Springer were “still a good distance apart on value,” with the center fielder asking for “well over $150 million.”

Martino added that Springer remains a more likely target for the Mets than Trevor Bauer, writing that "there has been no evidence of a serious pursuit of Bauer to date."

The Mets and Blue Jays both have been connected to Springer throughout this offseason. On Dec. 21, Jeff Passan noted in an article for ESPN+ (subscription required) that executives he talked to considered the Springer sweepstakes to be a "two-team race" between New York and Toronto, although there were other unnamed teams involved at that point.
    Keep in mind I don't trust Martino as far as I can throw him, and I trust the NY Daily News even less.

I don't trust anything until it happens.

Nats signed Schwarber.