Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 56 of 123 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    If you are the GM...what does Rileyís arrival mean for Ender?

A) Ender gets traded
    B) Ender becomes the 4th OF
    C) Ender gets his job back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With the way Riley is raking there is no way he gets sent back down so my guess would be Ender becomes 4th OF. His defense and speed are still in need

Sean Newcomb.....closer?

2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Newk at closer was my same question. He looks like a new guy. I hope he embraces it. It seems like he has so far.

Ender is a tough situation. Theyíve been pulling Riley out in the late innings for defense. Heís perfect for that.

Ender has been a fantastic hitter in the second half the last couple years. I really donít want to trade him. Heís a great clubhouse guy too. I say try and use him when possible. His trade value is low right now. Tough spot.

I think this idea that Ender has been so good in the 2nd half is a little overblown. He has been way better than in the first half (usually), but still nothing special. In 2018 he jumped over 100 OPS points and still didnít get to .800. In 2017 he had almost identical 1st/2nd half splits. In 2016 he made huge jumps, but a case can be made pretty easily that rose are statistical anomalies. He had widely elevated BAbip. While his numbers were very impressive, you cannot count on a guy holding a near 400 BAbip every second half like he did in 2016. 2015 he had a second half with an OPS right at .800.

I think Riley has to be your guy. I also think Acuna has looked more comfortable in CF than he did in LF. For me, what to do with Ender comes down to his market. If he can be the centerpiece for a good rental, I would trade him. If not, I would use him as a 4th OF and move him in the offseason.

I'm in no rush to move Ender. We don't really have a need to IMO. Use him as the 4th outfielder and rotate rest for guys. If we have an injury we will need him probably. If Donaldson gets hurt, Riley shifts to 3rd and Ender will move back to CF. Who knows, keeping Ender could be an option too for next year. Maybe we could keep Riley in LF, Ender in CF and shifting AcuŮa to RF as Markakis ages next year. Then we could keep Donaldson at 3B maybe.

I don't know really, but I definitely like having Ender around as he leaves us with a lot of options.

For Newk, I was surprised to see the stat line that he closed it out. Reading today that Jackson, while he's been solid enough relative to our other guys, has blown 3 of his 9 save opportunities. Maybe Newk could stabilize that until we bring in Kimbrel (hopefully). Then maybe we have a filthy one two punch of Newk and Kimbrel to end games? It wouldn't be the first time a somewhat promising starter ended up being very good in relief (Raisel Iglesias for the Reds comes to mind, or Carlos Martinez for the Cardinals, maybe even someone like Joe Kelly too).
    Last edited by Mamba42; 05-21-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Sean Newcomb.....closer?

He's definitely doing pretty well in relief. I looked at his numbers out of the bullpen this year and he's made 7 appearances out of the 'pen this month and has allowed no earned runs and no walks in those appearances.

Long-term, I still have some hope for him as a starter because 6'5" 250lb lefties don't grow on trees but if he turns into a dynamic reliever, then that still has plenty of value. Maybe his career starts off like Adam Wainwright, who spent some time in St. Louis' bullpen before he was able to truly lock down a spot in St. Louis' rotation and become their ace.

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    He's definitely doing pretty well in relief. I looked at his numbers out of the bullpen this year and he's made 7 appearances out of the 'pen this month and has allowed no earned runs and no walks in those appearances.

Long-term, I still have some hope for him as a starter because 6'5" 250lb lefties don't grow on trees but if he turns into a dynamic reliever, then that still has plenty of value. Maybe his career starts off like Adam Wainwright, who spent some time in St. Louis' bullpen before he was able to truly lock down a spot in St. Louis' rotation and become their ace.
    Whether he is starting or in relief doesn't matter to me. We've always known some of our pitching prospects would end up in the bullpen. If Newk's recent play is any indication as to what is to come then our bullpen will be stronger and we've opened a spot in the starting 5 for somebody else in the future. Maybe Newk can become our Josh Hader.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    His knack for leading off with HRs is incredible. I still think the 2-hole is his best spot. It just seems to best utilize his combination of skills. But with the way he produces at leadoff, it is not hard to see understand why they have him back at leadoff.

Have to agree with coach on this one. Iíd prefer him in the two hole as of now if Albies can get it together. It would give him a few more abís with runners on. However with the way heís hitting in the one hole, thatíd be a difficult move to make.

It would be difficult to keep Ender and find quality abs for Ender, Riley, Camargo, Culbertson, and Joyce! I wouldnít be happy sitting Acuna because someone needs abs! Markakis...... ehh, but thatís still not enough abís For all of them. Culberson is not getting enough as is.

If this is what we have to work with late in the season and come playoffs, itíd be a plus! But getting all of them abís Without one guy ( likely Markakis) making a major sacrifice, is going to be difficult. Would Markakis be okay only playing 3or 4 games a week?

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    It would be difficult to keep Ender and find quality abs for Ender, Riley, Camargo, Culbertson, and Joyce! I wouldnít be happy sitting Acuna because someone needs abs! Markakis...... ehh, but thatís still not enough abís For all of them. Culberson is not getting enough as is.

If this is what we have to work with late in the season and come playoffs, itíd be a plus! But getting all of them abís Without one guy ( likely Markakis) making a major sacrifice, is going to be difficult. Would Markakis be okay only playing 3or 4 games a week?
    Exactly my thoughts - some guys are already getting minimal ABs. If Ender can help net some needed pitching help, I say trade him.

I still think a package of Inciarte and Wentz is a good starting point to get some pitching upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post

Fair points, I kind of forgot about Culberson too. He needs more than Camargo IMO

IMO Markakis should already be getting more days off. Heís played in every game so far. AA said his play fell off last year because of fatigue. We have 6 guys capable of playing in the OF. Give him more days off.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    IMO Markakis should already be getting more days off. Heís played in every game so far. AA said his play fell off last year because of fatigue. We have 6 guys capable of playing in the OF. Give him more days off.

Yeah I know he is playing well but he needs more time off than anyone. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Yeah I know he is playing well but he needs more time off than anyone. Agreed.
    Makes zero sense to play your oldest player more than anyone else (especially on a roster with this much youth) after you spent the whole off season saying how improved the bench was and guys would regularly be getting days off. The lineup is deep enough that there wonít be much of a drop off with Camargo or Culberson starting.

2019 Vikings Draft :

And the bullpen strikes again. The Giants are 26th in the majors in runs scored and had the bottom of the lineup due in the bottom of the 9th. Should be an easy win. Nope. 4 hits and 3 runs to blow another win. We would be in first place if it wasnít for this bullpen.

2019 Vikings Draft :