Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 109 of 123 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 1833
    So would O'Day be eligible for the post season? I'm not sure how the rules work but I know they have to be on the roster by August 31, but I'm not sure how it would apply to a guy like O'Day who has been on the injured list

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    So would O'Day be eligible for the post season? I'm not sure how the rules work but I know they have to be on the roster by August 31, but I'm not sure how it would apply to a guy like O'Day who has been on the injured list
    Being he is on the 60-day I don't think he counts being he technically isn't on the 40 man roster. Have to be added in the next 10 days and I don't see that happening.

JTwent seven that is craziness.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthBomber View Post
    JTwent seven that is craziness.
    In 32IP vs the Marlins he has allowed 1ER. In 113IP vs everyone else he has allowed 56ER.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Being he is on the 60-day I don't think he counts being he technically isn't on the 40 man roster. Have to be added in the next 10 days and I don't see that happening.
    That's kind of what I was thinking too. That's too bad. He can still provide some late season juice to us, though.

In 32IP vs the Marlins he has allowed 1ER. In 113IP vs everyone else he has allowed 56ER.
    Great stat! Thatís a 4.46 ERA against everyone else. Makes JT look a lot more like a 5th starter that doesnít need to be making playoff starts.

I would love to see Folty claim the #4 spot in the next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get the hate for JT. He's been a solid, and sometimes very good, pitcher for us for a long time and he continues to give us a chance most nights. The Miami stats skew his stats some (though we can't just throw them out, it's not like seeing a team a bunch of times and dominating them every time is easy). But let's look a little bit deeper at JT's stats (I didn't mess with the advanced stuff cause that would take too much time, so let's roll with ERA for now):

Total Starts: 27
    Total ERA: 3.53

That is skewed by the Miami starts, so if we take those out we get:

Starts (- MIA): 22
    ERA (- MIA): 4.46

That makes him look like he's been average, but if you look at his non-Miami games there are about 5 games that would classify as bad starts that are really inflating those numbers. If we want to say that the 5 Miami games are making him look too good, then it's fair to also argue the 5 bad games are making him look unreasonably bad. So if we take out his Miami games and his games against Colorad0 (5 IP, 6 ER), Cleveland (4.2 IP, 5 ER), NYM (4 IP, 6 ER), CHC (4 IP, 7 ER) and NYM (1.1 IP, 6 ER) then we end up with:

Starts: 17
    ERA: 2.48

That's very good. Is JT a top of the rotation arm? No. But I think he is at worst a number 4 guy and this year he has more often than not pitched like a number 3 or borderline number 2 pitcher.

I don't get the hate for JT. He's been a solid, and sometimes very good, pitcher for us for a long time and he continues to give us a chance most nights. The Miami stats skew his stats some (though we can't just throw them out, it's not like seeing a team a bunch of times and dominating them every time is easy). But let's look a little bit deeper at JT's stats (I didn't mess with the advanced stuff cause that would take too much time, so let's roll with ERA for now):

That makes him look like he's been average, but if you look at his non-Miami games there are about 5 games that would classify as bad starts that are really inflating those numbers. If we want to say that the 5 Miami games are making him look too good, then it's fair to also argue the 5 bad games are making him look unreasonably bad. So if we take out his Miami games and his games against Colorad0 (5 IP, 6 ER), Cleveland (4.2 IP, 5 ER), NYM (4 IP, 6 ER), CHC (4 IP, 7 ER) and NYM (1.1 IP, 6 ER) then we end up with:

That's very good. Is JT a top of the rotation arm? No. But I think he is at worst a number 4 guy and this year he has more often than not pitched like a number 3 or borderline number 2 pitcher.
    That is very interesting. Even just taking out the worst one, Iím sure you get solid numbers. It was an anomaly that he didnít get out of the second inning, the start before this one. I havenít been a fan of Julio bc of his inconsistency from year to year. However, Iíve been really happy with almost all his starts this year. He pitched the night of the game I went to for my birthday and I didnít even find myself upset about it. He didnít get out of the 6th, but only gave up one earned run against the Nats, who were pretty hot at that time. Unless Folty continues to improve, Iím content with Julio being in the playoff starters mix, which I definitely havenít said in years past.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. That's too bad. He can still provide some late season juice to us, though.
    Mmm, I donīt think thatīs the case, he is on the 60 day IL, which means he isnīt part of the 40 man roster because heīs injured. Iīm pretty sure heīs eligible for the post season .

I would say those numbers make Teheran a mid rotation starter at best, the 5 bad games you mentioned are all against good teams (except Colorado which I would leave out of the equation because it was in coors field) Heīs very good against bad teams, thatīs it.

1) Most SPís stats are skewed by a few bad outings. But of JTís five worst games, only one is against a team below .500. That is important to remember as you read on.

2) Most SPís arenít skewed by dominating one of the leagueís worst offenses repeatedly (5 times in 2019). JT has pitched over 20% of his innings against MIA and has completely dominated them. He has 112 ABs versus MIA; the next closest opponent is NYM with 70 ABs against (who have absolutely crushed him). It has to be viewed for what it is - dominating a terrible offense.

3) His 4.46 ERA against all teams not MIA is almost identical FIP (4.41). This suggests he is much more a mid 4 runs per 9 SP than a mid 3 runs per 9 SP.

4) JTís stats against teams .500 or better or far, far worse. These are also skewed by his dominance of MIA.

Against MIA:
    PA/ABs: 123/112
    BABIP: .225
    AVG: .170
    OBP: .244
    SLG: .232
    OPS: .476

Teams Below .500:
    PA/ABs: 338/291
    BABIP: .224
    AVG: .186
    OBP: .282
    SLG: .309
    OPS: .592
    *38.5% of these ABs are against MIA. Take MIA out of this and all these stats except BABip goes up noticeably.

Teams Over .500:
    PA/ABs: 291/249
    BABIP: .341
    AVG: .285
    OBP: .383
    SLG: .458
    OPS: .841

So given those numbers, is JT a guy you want to count on to beat a playoff team? Look at this numbers against teams over .500.

Has Julio done what many do and shine against bad teams - yes. Does that totally discount his yearly numbers - no. But I donít see how anyone can look at what JT has done this year and not see that he has inflated his numbers by capitalizing on bad offenses, including one of the worst offenses (bottom 2 for sure) in the MLB.

Per Major League Baseball's Collective Bargaining Agreement, players must meet certain criteria in order to be eligible for postseason play. Any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactio...es-eligibility

2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Sounds like Francisco Cervelli is signing with the Braves. Pirates just released him.

2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Per Major League Baseball's Collective Bargaining Agreement, players must meet certain criteria in order to be eligible for postseason play. Any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactio...es-eligibility

Ah good to see, wasn't sure how the IR would effect it.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Sounds like Francisco Cervelli is signing with the Braves. Pirates just released him.

Very good signing. Still has to clear waivers I think? But i dont think anyone is picking up that 11 million left on his deal