Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

2019 Atlanta Braves Playoff Thread

I think itís time this thread was opened. 1 week until NLDS game 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I think itís time this thread was opened. 1 week until NLDS game 1.

It was time, for the first time since forever we open the DS as favorites, the key here is to win game 1, I don't agree with the decision of going with someone else who isn't your best pitcher, but Keuchel has been pitching well (besides last night) we need Freddie to get hot, I know is just a matter of time, but time is now. Swanson seems to be working on a hot streak so that's nice to see. Chop On!!

I don't really worry about Freddie but it's good Swanson has been swinging it again lately. We're going to need our offense to look good if we're going to have any shot. I know they were young and we've got JD plus better depth but we looked totally overmatched against good strikeout pitchers last year (minus Freeman).

I know AA fixed what was a serious weakness but I still worry about our bullpen. I think we're the worst in the BP of any NL playoff team except the Nats, which to me we really need our starters to step up. Other than the injuries I don't think we could ask for more encouraging signs from our regulars going into the postseason though, and usually being hot helps in the postseason.

I'm just ready for it to start.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    I don't really worry about Freddie but it's good Swanson has been swinging it again lately. We're going to need our offense to look good if we're going to have any shot. I know they were young and we've got JD plus better depth but we looked totally overmatched against good strikeout pitchers last year (minus Freeman).

I know AA fixed what was a serious weakness but I still worry about our bullpen. I think we're the worst in the BP of any NL playoff team except the Nats, which to me we really need our starters to step up. Other than the injuries I don't think we could ask for more encouraging signs from our regulars going into the postseason though, and usually being hot helps in the postseason.

I'm just ready for it to start.
    Worst bullpen in the NL? I don't know about that, our three acquisitions have been lights out for the past two months. If we go by bullpen ERA since the ASB the Braves are 5th best in the NL, the LAD and STL are ahead of us, but frankly, we're not really going with an 8 man bullpen in the playoffs, the only way guys like Blevins pitch in a game it's because is out of hand or late in extra innings.

Melancon 1.75/1.90 FIP/xFIP
    Greene 3.43/3.09
    Martin 1.75/2.35
    Luke Jackson 2.72/2.22

Our only weakness is that we don't have a lights out lefty reliever, I can't trust Newcomb. But I trust that those four guys can take on any left handed hitter so, I feel pretty good about our pen.

No worst among the playoff teams in the NL, minus the Nats. Maybe we're as good as the Dodgers, I know they've had problems, but their deep rotation will fortify their bullpen plus they have one of the more trusted closers in the game even if he's struggled a bit this year. The only arm I would have said I trust almost as much as Jansen that we have is Greene, and he's arguably struggled the most.

I do not trust Luke Jackson very much at all. He's talented but prone to wildness and has some very strange reverse platoon splits, I guess because his slider is more of a hard curveball but that doesn't really explain why righties kill him. He remains an enigma to me.

Melancon has been very up and down since he left the Pirates. I'll agree he's done well in Atlanta but he's not really a big stuff guy.

I mean I agree we're very good, I just think we'll need Soroka or Keuchel to really be a true postseason ace. I don't think we need our starters to carry the team like Schilling and Randy Johnson did, but I also don't think we can win 3 series if our starters aren't consistently getting to the 6th inning like the Royals a few years ago.

My main concern is our health. Acuna is dealing with an injury and Freeman has bone spurs in his elbow. We need them 100% by Thursday.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Sam Holbrook is the crew chief for our series. What's the over/under he causes another controversy?
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

Looking at the Cardinals rotation, it appears Jack Flaherty will be pitching game 2 (he just pitched Sunday). Game 1 will likely be either Adam Wainwright or Dakota Hudson. Hudson would be pitching on 6 days rest and Wainwright 5 days. My guess is they'll go with the veteran and let Hudson start game 3 at home. So I'm guessing these will be the pitching match ups:

Game 1: Keuchel vs Wainwright
    Game 2: Folty vs Flaherty
    Game 3: Soroka vs Hudson

We really need to take game 1. Flaherty has been on fire in the 2nd half. His last 15 starts he has a 1.00 ERA with 124 K's and 23 walks. Opponent OPS is .431. Flaherty has two starts against the Braves this year. He went 6 innings both starts. First start 3 runs on 3 hits and 5 walks (6 K's) and the second start zero runs on 3 hits and no walks (7 K's). If we lose game 1 we could easily fall behind 2-0.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

My guess at the playoff roster:

Lineup:

Ronald Acuna CF
    Ozzie Albies 2B
    Freddie Freeman 1B
    Josh Donaldson 3B
    Nick Markakis RF
    Dansby Swanson SS
    Matt Joyce LF
    Brian McCann C

Bench:
    Tyler Flowers C
    Francisco Cervelli C
    Adeiny Hechavarria SS/2B
    Adam Duvall OF/1B
    Billy Hamilton OF

Rotation:

LP: Dallas Keuchel
    RP: Mike Foltynewicz
    RP: Mike Soroka
    LP: Max Fried

Bullpen:

CL: Mark Melancon
    RP: Shane Greene
    RP: Chris Martin
    RP: Luke Jackson
    LP: Sean Newcomb
    LP: Jerry Blevins
    RP: Darren O'Day
    RP: Josh Tomlin
    2019 Vikings Draft :

Looking at the Cardinals rotation, it appears Jack Flaherty will be pitching game 2 (he just pitched Sunday). Game 1 will likely be either Adam Wainwright or Dakota Hudson. Hudson would be pitching on 6 days rest and Wainwright 5 days. My guess is they'll go with the veteran and let Hudson start game 3 at home. So I'm guessing these will be the pitching match ups:

Game 1: Keuchel vs Wainwright
    Game 2: Folty vs Flaherty
    Game 3: Soroka vs Hudson

We really need to take game 1. Flaherty has been on fire in the 2nd half. His last 15 starts he has a 1.00 ERA with 124 K's and 23 walks. Opponent OPS is .431. Flaherty has two starts against the Braves this year. He went 6 innings both starts. First start 3 runs on 3 hits and 5 walks (6 K's) and the second start zero runs on 3 hits and no walks (7 K's). If we lose game 1 we could easily fall behind 2-0.
    I think I read somewhere that Mikolas will start game 1, as you said, game 1 is the key here. This is the first time since forever that we have home field advantage, need to take it in game 1. Flaherty has been absolutely unhittable in the second half, that's probably the only game that we won't be favorites.

My guess at the playoff roster:

Lineup:

Ronald Acuna CF
    Ozzie Albies 2B
    Freddie Freeman 1B
    Josh Donaldson 3B
    Nick Markakis RF
    Dansby Swanson SS
    Matt Joyce LF
    Brian McCann C

Bench:
    Tyler Flowers C
    Francisco Cervelli C
    Adeiny Hechavarria SS/2B
    Adam Duvall OF/1B
    Billy Hamilton OF

Rotation:

LP: Dallas Keuchel
    RP: Mike Foltynewicz
    RP: Mike Soroka
    LP: Max Fried

Bullpen:

CL: Mark Melancon
    RP: Shane Greene
    RP: Chris Martin
    RP: Luke Jackson
    LP: Sean Newcomb
    LP: Jerry Blevins
    RP: Darren O'Day
    RP: Josh Tomlin
    This is pretty much spot on, but who the heck is our left handed hitter off the bench? That's a big hole. It's sad that Teheran isn't in the roster, he actually deserves it, had a decent year if we based on results, I won't mind if he's on the pen instead of Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I think I read somewhere that Mikolas will start game 1, as you said, game 1 is the key here. This is the first time since forever that we have home field advantage, need to take it in game 1. Flaherty has been absolutely unhittable in the second half, that's probably the only game that we won't be favorites.
    Youíre right. Mikolas was announced as the game 1 starter. Keuchel confirmed for the Braves.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    This is pretty much spot on, but who the heck is our left handed hitter off the bench? That's a big hole. It's sad that Teheran isn't in the roster, he actually deserves it, had a decent year if we based on results, I won't mind if he's on the pen instead of Tomlin.
    We could go with Ortega over Hamilton if we wanted a left handed bat but I prefer Hamiltonís speed.

Teheran had a good season but he was pretty bad his final 3 starts. Last year the Braves went with the hot hands down the stretch. He might make it over Tomlin but I figure if heís not going to start any games then itís probably better to have somebody coming out of the bullpen with experience doing so. Both would probably only pitch in an emergency so it may not matter. Maybe neither make the roster in favor of another bat. Maybe Fried comes out of the pen and go with 3 starters. Probably not the best idea but you never know.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Freemanís elbow may be an issue. The AJC says he might need off season surgery. Freeman says he feels fine but also said ďobviously it's not where I want it to beĒ. Hopefully he can manage it for the next few weeks. We stand no chance without Freeman hitting.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Rosters havenít been announced yet but DOB said Braves will go with a 6 man bench and 11 pitchers. Tomlin will be the long relief, not Teheran. Ortega will be the 6th man on the bench. Plan is for Fried to start game 4.

2019 Vikings Draft :