Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast
    Win #66 in the books!

Anyway, 10 games left can they win 4 of them? 7 vs Detroit, 3 vs Cleveland.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Lost in a semi Disappointing season (only disappointing if you don’t understand a rebuild), is the fact that Eloy has come into his own at the plate. It sucks that he probably won’t ever be a high BB rate guy, but man him and Moncada have been unconscious at the plate for a month now.

The Sox have found a way to keep me relatively interested at the end of the year. Which is all I was hoping for. Next year with a couple new additions, Robert, Madrigal and Giolito, we should be fun to watch for more than just development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The interest level in the team was one of the main arguments I was making 4-5 years ago for a total rebuild. I would much rather watch and track upcoming young talent with hope for the future than, watch a tired, underachieving “retooled” team ala 2012-2016.

All of this last offseason’s circus aside, you have to admit the overall aura of this team is much more positive and interesting than a team of down-slope veterans with a $35 mil higher payroll winning 5-10 more games.

I need to send Bruce Levine a bill to get the interior of my car cleaned, after that imbesile made me spit out my coffee. He was actually stupid enough to claim that the reason Kimbrel has failed is because he didn’t know anybody on the Cubs before he signed, and didn’t have any relationships. Laughable!

A little off topic but I thought I would share the comedic spin of some of our hack media....LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    I need to send Bruce Levine a bill to get the interior of my car cleaned, after that imbesile made me spit out my coffee. He was actually stupid enough to claim that the reason Kimbrel has failed is because he didn’t know anybody on the Cubs before he signed, and didn’t have any relationships. Laughable!

A little off topic but I thought I would share the comedic spin of some of our hack media....LOL.
    Levine is a clown!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    The interest level in the team was one of the main arguments I was making 4-5 years ago for a total rebuild. I would much rather watch and track upcoming young talent with hope for the future than, watch a tired, underachieving “retooled” team ala 2012-2016.

All of this last offseason’s circus aside, you have to admit the overall aura of this team is much more positive and interesting than a team of down-slope veterans with a $35 mil higher payroll winning 5-10 more games.
    That was one of our main goals this year. 1st of all, we needed to gauge what we had in our prospects in the league for more than a season. Mainly Tim Anderson, Yoan Moncada, Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez. I'm not counting Eloy yet, because he was just starting his MLB career. Timmy showed that he was our future SS. The Yoan Moncada 3B project was a smashing success, which filled one of our biggest needs, while opening door for Nick Madrigal to step in. Lucas Giolito was almost an afterthought here. Given the chance to lead our staff, he put up an Ace Campaign. Reynaldo Lopez was a mixed bag. He showed the ability to be a solid MLB pitcher one night, the next he looked like a liability. Hopefully he makes a Gio Esque jump next season.

The 2nd goal we had in the offseason was to find bargain veterans to fill holes, and hope that they struck gold. Yonder Alonso was a huge failure as our DH. Nova did what we needed well enough. He ate innings in a year where half our projected future staff was on the shelf. He sucked vs. bad teams but for whatever reason rose to the occasion vs. the good teams. McCann and Colome were big wins for us. We got a Closer under control, and we have our potential catcher if we decide to bring him back. Jon Jay played well when healthy but was by most accounts a failure.

The 3rd goal was to get our next wave of specs up as regulars. Eloy, Bummer, and Cease were the 3 most notable. Eloy got off to a slow start, and was hurt often, but he is closing the book on his rookie season in a big way. He's one of the hottest hitters in baseball the last month. Bummer had a pretty solid year out of the Pen. Cease was our big elite call up, and while he struggled with command, he got half a season of valuable experience. Better now in a rebuilding year so he's better prepared when we are ready to compete. All 3 show positive signs for our future.

The 4th goal was what you mentioned. We needed to create some kind of buzz. I think we definitely did that. I'd say of all of the rebuilding teams, we probably carry the most buzz around the league. Add that with the arrivals of Kopech, Dunning, Robert, and Madrigal, and we have most of our major holes filled, and the buzz to get some interest from veterans around the league.

I would've loved about 8-10 more wins, as I think a huge jump from 2018 to 2019 in the W column would send a great signal to FAs. I'm still happy with the progress obviously but I think a few more W's could go a long way in persuading a FA such as Cole to leave Houston.

I think the horrendous starts we had from Banuelos and such, who had no business in the ML, played a role in that. But can't complain next June when we're picking in the top 10 and won't lose our 1st rounder if we sign a top FA.

Thrilled about the core we have though, and the under the radar progress from guys like Evan Marshall and Bummer to set up Colome. Wish McCann could've held up a little better the last 2 months.

If we really want to go all in for next year, and assume Cole will be too hard to get (might be hard getting him to just leave Houston, let alone us having the best offer), curious to know what you guys might think of 3-4 year deals to both Bumgarner and JD Martinez?

Bumgarner at about 4/90 and Martinez at 4/110 give or take. With the 4 year deals they'd expire around when the arbitration payments for some guys start to get pretty high (if we don't extend early on). Plus some wonderful veteran leadership.

SP (would like to shop Rodon)
    Giolito
    Bumgarner
    Kopech
    Rodon
    Cease
    Lopez

Lineup
    Robert
    Andersen
    Moncada
    Martinez
    Abreu
    Eloy
    McCan
    Madrigal
    Leury

Disgusting lineup. Depth at SP, and if Cease or Lopez continue to struggle we have the depth to move one to the pen.

We'd have a tremendous amount of young talent, and if we have the luxury of still having some good talent in the minors blocked from coming up, we have the pieces to certainly add if in pennant races some arms, bench pieces, or to fill a hole in case if injury.

I'm not that worried about record this year. We had one of the worst starting staffs in baseball for almost the entire season.

Ervin Santana: 1-2 in 3 starts
    3 Starts
    9.45 ERA
    1.87 WHIP

Odrisamer Despaigne:
    3 Starts
    9.45 ERA
    2.32 WHIP

Hector Santiago:
    2 Starts
    5.79 ERA
    1.71 WHIP

Dylan Covey
    12 Starts
    8.45 ERA
    1.75 WHIP

Manny Banuelos
    8 Starts
    8.05 ERA
    1.96 WHIP

Ross Detwiler
    10 Starts
    6.17 ERA
    1.62 WHIP

That's 38 Starts worth of Miserable Stats! None of these guys Were expected to be worth a damn. They were just innings eaters in a year where we had 3 of our top young pitchers (Kopech/Rodon/Dunning) and 1 of our top young Pitchers (Cease) sitting in the minors for half the season.

This is why when it comes to W/L's this year, I'll take it with a huge grain of Morton's Kosher Salt! This was to be expected. We need to look at the positive's which were abundant.

Abreu's 33 HR's 133 RBI's (League Leading) .826 OPS 2.2 WAR
    Moncada's 24 HR's 77 RBI's .316 BA (3rd AL) .920 OPS 4.2 WAR
    Anderson's .334 BA (League Leading) 18 HR's 3.7 WAR
    Eloy's 30 HR's (1st AL Rookie's) 77 RBI's .832 OPS 1.4 WAR
    McCann's 17 HR's .275 BA .789 OPS 3.6 WAR
    Giolito's 228 K's in 176 Innings 3.41 ERA 1.06 WHIP
    Colome's 2.55 ERA 1.03 WHIP 29 Saves
    Bummer's 2.25 ERA 1.02 WHIP 24 Holds

With Madrigal and Robert doing everything they were asked in the Minors proving to be potential elite Prospects!
    We knew we were going to struggle pitching. We knew Yolmer was just a placeholder at 2B. We knew DH would be a struggle. We knew we only had 1 of our OF positions locked in, although Leury made a strong case as a solid utility player. It was always about 2020 for this rebuild. That was etched in stone since we traded Sale and Signed Robert. I'd say there are more positives than negatives at this point of the rebuild. Last year you couldn't say that with confidence. Last year was almost all negative. We are trending UP for sure!

I would love if we landed MadBum and Martinez as mentioned above. I’d still go after one more SP that can be our #4 SP to allow us to slowly bring back Kopech and Rodon next year. This would allow Rodon to pitch out of the pen until late in the season and even Lopez if he proves to be better suited in a late inning role.

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    I would love if we landed MadBum and Martinez as mentioned above. I’d still go after one more SP that can be our #4 SP to allow us to slowly bring back Kopech and Rodon next year. This would allow Rodon to pitch out of the pen until late in the season and even Lopez if he proves to be better suited in a late inning role.
    I would be stunned if Kopech is not in the rotation opening day....18 months removed since the Surgery . I want to say he had it in August of last year....

Rodon is another story.....He might not pitch until very late into the season...

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    I would be stunned if Kopech is not in the rotation opening day....18 months removed since the Surgery . I want to say he had it in August of last year....
    Yeah, I’m sure he will be starting. But I don’t see him logging 180 IP next year. Need to bring him along slowly and having 2 starters come in will allow that without us seeing guys like covey, detwiler, Santiago, Baneulos, etc...

I say sign MadBum or Cole, and bring in Pomeranz, who has been solid for the brewers to be another setup man.

With the season starting in March I would not be shocked to see Kopech stay in Arizona and extra few weeks.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast