Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,789

    Another wasted year

    Another year, another wasted season, Another coach and GM, same results. Perhaps Kane and O'reily weren't the Diva's making the youngsters struggle after all. They have no heart. It's a shame too, because this page was booming before they went on their three year tank campaign.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    16,024
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Another year, another wasted season, Another coach and GM, same results. Perhaps Kane and O'reily weren't the Diva's making the youngsters struggle after all. They have no heart. It's a shame too, because this page was booming before they went on their three year tank campaign.
    I just don't think they are as talented as many wanted to think. If you look at the Sabres as a team right now, how many games this year did Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Dahlin, and/or Risto. NOT score or have a point in a particular game? When you look at the Sabres right now, the only ones guaranteed a spot next year should be Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner (If re-signed), Dahlin, Risto., Montour, Mittlestadt, and maybe one or two more. The rest you could ship off somewhere.

    I look at guys like Sobotka, Scandella, Larsson, Girgensons, Pominville, and you can't tell me there isn't someone in Rochester that can do what these guys do for 1/10th the salary.

    And don't even get me started on Ullmark and Hutton in goal.
    Eichel Tower

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,134
    I donít think that Kane and RoR were the divas they were made out to be. I think they lost passion for playing for this team because of the idiot comments our ďfansĒ make. Another case in point is Lehner. He leaves us and look at his production now. In regards to the other guys you mentioned I have no problem with 28 and 22 because they do really well on the PK and they play hard. The guy that pisses me off is Okposo because he is paid like a point producer and produces no points.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    16,024
    Quote Originally Posted by jgood17 View Post
    I donít think that Kane and RoR were the divas they were made out to be. I think they lost passion for playing for this team because of the idiot comments our ďfansĒ make. Another case in point is Lehner. He leaves us and look at his production now. In regards to the other guys you mentioned I have no problem with 28 and 22 because they do really well on the PK and they play hard. The guy that pisses me off is Okposo because he is paid like a point producer and produces no points.
    I agree with you on Okposo; if Botts could dump him now he would! I think if you are a fan of the Sabres, you are expecting a lot more than what you are getting. Look at Carolina; they go from the #2 overall pick in the lottery to likely playoff team.

    Plus, how long has it been since the Sabres have been to the playoffs in the NHL, a sport where quite frankly if you don't make it, you stink?
    Eichel Tower

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,134
    The only way to get away from Okposo would be to pay him forever. Nobody is going to trade for him. The only thing we can hope is that when Seattle comes in we can sway them into taking his contract to get them toward their min cap space. I donít know what that will cost us though.
    Last edited by jgood17; 04-02-2019 at 09:28 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    16,024
    Quote Originally Posted by jgood17 View Post
    The only way to get away from Okposo would be to pay him forever. Nobody is going to trade for him. The only thing we can hope is that when Seattle comes in we can sway them into taking his contract to get them toward their min cap space. I donít know what that will cost us though.
    Probably more than the Sabres want!
    Eichel Tower

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,789
    It will be interesting to see what happens to the team in a few years with Skinner. I don't mind paying him 9 million, but in a couple years, with us having to put some money on our other players as well, we might be in salary cap hell.

    9 million a year is good for a 40 goal scorer. Not one person will be able to say, 40 goals 9 million a season is a bad deal for Buffalo. But what happens to the Sabres, when their 9 million dollar player only scores 25. In his career, he has only scored 30 or more goals 4 out of 9 years. His rookie season was the only season giving the team 30+ assists. Every year since then its 25 assists per year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    16,024
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    It will be interesting to see what happens to the team in a few years with Skinner. I don't mind paying him 9 million, but in a couple years, with us having to put some money on our other players as well, we might be in salary cap hell.

    9 million a year is good for a 40 goal scorer. Not one person will be able to say, 40 goals 9 million a season is a bad deal for Buffalo. But what happens to the Sabres, when their 9 million dollar player only scores 25. In his career, he has only scored 30 or more goals 4 out of 9 years. His rookie season was the only season giving the team 30+ assists. Every year since then its 25 assists per year.
    But I also wonder if you saw what he can do when he has a line mate like Jack Eichel too? When push comes to shove though right now sabres11, outside of Dahlin and Reinhart, what else do the Sabres have to worry about "big bucks" for?
    Eichel Tower

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,789
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    But I also wonder if you saw what he can do when he has a line mate like Jack Eichel too? When push comes to shove though right now sabres11, outside of Dahlin and Reinhart, what else do the Sabres have to worry about "big bucks" for?

    For 2-3 seasons, we will be fine. Were still about 20 million under the cap. In that 3rd year of Skinner's 9 million contract, added in with Eichel's 10 million cap hit, when the guys we recently drafted, are now on the clock and showing their worth.

    We know Dahlin is going to get a huge contract. And I think the goalie prospect, Luukkonen is the real deal and the answer between the pipes for years to come. In that 3rd year of the top contracts, is when these two contracts start to be added in.

    Not to mention Middlestadt & Nylander. If they were draft mistakes, then were fine. But if these two develop and play as good as the GM predicted, the worth they show starts clouding up the future. Then we have the players like Asplund, who turns heads and wants a contract bigger than Reinhearts. Not to mention free agency or the players in the draft this year.

    So for the next 2-3 years we will hopefully enjoy some winning hockey. If we are as happy as we want to be with this team, it is because the stars and future stars are shining and if they are, the focus becomes all about the salary cap and how we fit them in. Its actually a problem we want to have, but a problem nonetheless.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    16,024
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    For 2-3 seasons, we will be fine. Were still about 20 million under the cap. In that 3rd year of Skinner's 9 million contract, added in with Eichel's 10 million cap hit, when the guys we recently drafted, are now on the clock and showing their worth.

    We know Dahlin is going to get a huge contract. And I think the goalie prospect, Luukkonen is the real deal and the answer between the pipes for years to come. In that 3rd year of the top contracts, is when these two contracts start to be added in.

    Not to mention Middlestadt & Nylander. If they were draft mistakes, then were fine. But if these two develop and play as good as the GM predicted, the worth they show starts clouding up the future. Then we have the players like Asplund, who turns heads and wants a contract bigger than Reinhearts. Not to mention free agency or the players in the draft this year.

    So for the next 2-3 years we will hopefully enjoy some winning hockey. If we are as happy as we want to be with this team, it is because the stars and future stars are shining and if they are, the focus becomes all about the salary cap and how we fit them in. Its actually a problem we want to have, but a problem nonetheless.
    I feel like in Buffalo we have too many unknowns right now.
    Eichel Tower

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,789
    I was kind of surprised with Reinharts contract last year. Especially when we were hearing his agent was trying to get 5yrs 25 million.

    Giving him only a 2yr deal for 7.3 mill contract, pretty much shows that after this deal is up, he will again try to get 5.5 million a year or more, with his next contract.

    This year around the league, a few other guys have signed, and some are expected to sign questionably higher than anticipated deals. If Reinhart score 25 this year, either he is traded, or adding to the salary cap. I think 25 goals, 50+ points gets him 6-6.5 per year in this league. Will the Sabres pay it or trade him now at the deadline is something to watch.

  12. #12
    What you think about their performance in last season, is it a well performed or another wasted.?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,789
    Quote Originally Posted by mylivecricket View Post
    What you think about their performance in last season, is it a well performed or another wasted.?
    Murray destroyed this team as GM and we suffered another wasted season. We sat back and watched every mistake he made on the ice, knowing that their days are numbered, knowing next year will be a totally new team. It was a waste because we take nothing from last season to bring to this season. I dont know how many games people here have gone to, but to start, there are 15000 people there and by the half way point of the SECOND, theres probably only 3000 people left. Fans left in the 2nd period, because they knew staying there would just be a waste of time.

    It was good at least that we watched Skinner play, but him being here doesn't make last season any less of a wasted year. For next season, our goal has to be, to just be in the playoff hunt late in the season. This team needs to experience something other than losing, like they have all been accustomed to now in Buffalo. Even if we dont get in, if our players are in the hunt, fighting, getting dirty, grinding etc every game, next year wont be a waste. We can finally look back and say, at least we are headed in the right direction. But if we are the worse team in the league, eliminated from the playoffs pretty much by Christmas, Next year will be just as much as a waste.

    As for our off season, Botts is trying to eliminate all of Murrays mistakes, while trying to remain competitive in Buffalo as well as Rochester. We lose Nylander and a bunch of picks, but were bringing in players thatmay have a strong roll on this team in the future.

    The additions of Collin Miller, Jokihartju set the tables of Botts strengthening our D. Some think Ritso is bate to get that 2nd line center, but Kruger seems like he wants him to stay, claiming more D will help Risto play less minutes, keeping him strong and fresh and eliminating some of the late 3rd period lapses we see. Johanson could be a surprise on offense, but this team needs to find a scorer other than Skinner and Eichel.
    Last edited by sabres11; 07-10-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •