Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Rumor that the rays are interested in Aguilar. I know I'm typically lower on him than most, and he is the only righty option of Moose, thames and shaw, but it's intriguing. He's controllable an dhas recently heated up, so there's some opportunity to potentially get something legit in return without really hurting the team much if shaw can return to form.

He's probably not the ideal guy to move, but he could bring back some decent return so its worth considering.
    Problem is I don't think the Brewers want to sell and Thames and Shaw stink vs. LHP. With Shaw nearing or imminent return I could see a Thames for a reliever or something and Shaw playing 1B vs RHP. Thames slump is probably upon us now.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Problem is I don't think the Brewers want to sell and Thames and Shaw stink vs. LHP. With Shaw nearing or imminent return I could see a Thames for a reliever or something and Shaw playing 1B vs RHP. Thames slump is probably upon us now.
    It wouldn't have to be a straight sell. In an environment like this, where there's very few true sellers, sometimes you have to get creative. And a way to do that is a buyer/buyer deal in some cases. Tampa is 2nd in baseball in team era and 1st in team FIP. They are stacked with pitching. They are 12 in team wRC+ and only have lefty options at first. Both guys they have at first also have very little history of big league success. So it stands to reason that adding a righty option at first with some power would help them. They have the arms to potentially give one up. So it's possible that we could deal Aggy for a reliever and maybe even a prospect. It's a move that could actually help both teams.

And I get he's getting hotter and is the only righty. But you also have to make deals with what you have. If Aguilar is the guy teams want and he probably is as he's cheaper and more controllable than thames, then you have to listen.

I would be ok with trading Agi if we get some form of a reliever and a 1st base prospect who could start next year. I doubt the Rays would trade Nate Lowe because he fits the bill but he has to have more value than Agi. Diego Castillo would be an interesting reliever but his value has to be similar to Agi as well. We don't have a 1st base option if we trade Agi and then Thames declines his option next year (unless Braun moves to 1st).

I'm not overly concerned about first next year. Veteran free agents aren't that expensive these days if they aren't studs. I have no doubt we could find a passable option for a relatively decent deal on the open market if needed. And theres a decent chance thames is either back on his deal or resigned. Braun to first with Grisham getting a shot to compete for left is an option too.

I'm not saying move him for anything, but Aggy is controllable and cheap and plays a posituon we currently have decent coverage at. If we deal him for a prospect, we get marginally worse, but also improve our farm without taking ourselves out of the race. And if we deal him for a big league pitcher, we improve the total talent of the roster without raiding the farm.

What about Danny Duffy or Dylan Bundy as rotation depth. I doubt either would cost much in the way of high end prospects and both have #3 starter potential. Neither are throwing as hard as they did a few years ago and the Royals would need to eat some of Duffy's salary going forward. With all of our starters going down we really need a couple of cheaper starters suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    What about Danny Duffy or Dylan Bundy as rotation depth. I doubt either would cost much in the way of high end prospects and both have #3 starter potential. Neither are throwing as hard as they did a few years ago and the Royals would need to eat some of Duffy's salary going forward. With all of our starters going down we really need a couple of cheaper starters suddenly.
    Brewers even one back would be smart to sell. Deal Yaz or Moose with a reliever for more value in return. The Woodruff deal is a killer and I don't think Brewers have assets to get a deal that would be a difference maker for them like getting Wheeler/Diaz from Mets or something. They need a starter and a couple relievers IMO.

On paper maybe that's fine. But sports aren't played on paper. There are still feelings and messages to consider. Sending the message to the team that you're essentially giving up on them when they're a game back is awful. And it will impact veterans down the road. It will impact guys considering extensions and all that stuff. You cant sell when you're a game out.

On paper maybe that's fine. But sports aren't played on paper. There are still feelings and messages to consider. Sending the message to the team that you're essentially giving up on them when they're a game back is awful. And it will impact veterans down the road. It will impact guys considering extensions and all that stuff. You cant sell when you're a game out.
    If you can get a guy like a Roark type of starter and a couple relievers without giving up a ton OK. Maybe Minor and Leclerc or Martin for a Ray/others deal if it can be done. I want Grisham with the Brewers to see what he can do soon. I have no issues trading Turang if he gets you a really good SP either in a Turang/Ray deal. To make it clear I do agree it's hard to sell right now but it is probably what is best. You just can't really do that and be able to look at guys in the clubhouse even if it is probably the right move. If they can get a SP like Minor with a reliever.....not that hard to snag one more reliever a Swarzak type addition or Soria type .

Thing is while our bullpen seems to such, we are 15th in ERA and 12th in FIP for bullpen stats. Ours sucks but so does pretty much everyone else.

And I absolutely would love to grab a starter with a year and a half left. I know it won't be cheap but it seems like we've been banking on guys to over perform or be inconsistent. It would be nice to get another stabilizing force like Ray.

Thing is while our bullpen seems to such, we are 15th in ERA and 12th in FIP for bullpen stats. Ours sucks but so does pretty much everyone else.

And I absolutely would love to grab a starter with a year and a half left. I know it won't be cheap but it seems like we've been banking on guys to over perform or be inconsistent. It would be nice to get another stabilizing force like Ray.
    With Ray I think they want young players which Brewers really don't have. I think Yanks easily can get him with a similar offer of prospects. But if they want Corey Ray, Supak and Turang is enough....then I say yeah. I just think Brewers more likely to get a Leake (if waives nt clause) or someone like that and a reliever in Swarzak mold who would only cost a top-15 prospect but be a late inning option for Crew are the moves....who knows maybe they can pull somethng off that is bigger, I just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    With Ray I think they want young players which Brewers really don't have. I think Yanks easily can get him with a similar offer of prospects. But if they want Corey Ray, Supak and Turang is enough....then I say yeah. I just think Brewers more likely to get a Leake (if waives nt clause) or someone like that and a reliever in Swarzak mold who would only cost a top-15 prospect but be a late inning option for Crew are the moves....who knows maybe they can pull somethng off that is bigger, I just don't see it.
    Has to be one of the worst deadlines I can remember. The moves they made I don't think were enough. But was bad look to sell so instead made moves to make moves. Lyles I get for really prospects not expected to do much. I get Dubon wasn't all that not a top-100 etc., but to move him for Pomeranz and Black? Just hold him and move him in a package for a good player of value. To trade your third-rated prospect for junk? A win-now move that doesn't really help you win. At least get someone of value. The Aggy trade is meh for me, controlable guy. Kind of like Lyles imo. But I like aggy. The Diplan deal for cash might be best deal lol.

I don't hate any of the deals by themselves, but rolled together, it feels weird. Feels like we basically got a bunch of Adrian houser types. Maybe it works out. But we don't feel much better. The challenge I think is it's possible the brewers think they can unlock something with these guys, particularly black and Faria. And if they unlock one of those guys, it should be a win.

Dubon isn't a huge loss for me. Honestly, I don't think he was actually our 3rd prospect. Grisham, Lutz, Ashby, turang and small I think are all definitely more valuable in almost every orgs eyes. I would think some, if not most would also have Ray and brown above him. And I'd guess there's some orgs that possibly have others, like Rasmussen, Williams, supak, Feliciano and Henry on par or above him.

Dubon has a spot in the bigs, but I don't think it's as a regular. He's an okay utility guy who plays acceptable defense at short, hits for decent average but doesn't walk much or hit for power. I think we can find a similar value guy to what he brings on the market for pretty cheap. Guys like Jose Iglesias come to mind as guys that have been signing cheap vet deals.

They won't go full in, but I've always been intrigued by the idea of teams stacking pitchers. Instead of having starters and mix and matching releivers by day, you just basically have 3 guys throw 3 innings every 4 days.

Obviously, we aren't going to do that. But with this staff, especially after the deadline, I wonder if we get a little closer to that. Starters go 4-5, then one of the newish guys, who all basically have starting experience go 2-3 and then you look at using a setup and closer.

They won't go full in, but I've always been intrigued by the idea of teams stacking pitchers. Instead of having starters and mix and matching releivers by day, you just basically have 3 guys throw 3 innings every 4 days.

Obviously, we aren't going to do that. But with this staff, especially after the deadline, I wonder if we get a little closer to that. Starters go 4-5, then one of the newish guys, who all basically have starting experience go 2-3 and then you look at using a setup and closer.
    What a disappointing deadline. As I said win-now moves the org tried to say. But as I said win-now moves that won't bring wins. This team's biggest disappointment though is the offense. Built to be a team that needs 5 runs or so to win and can't produce 5 runs.

Look this Brewers team is a massive disappointment, and perhaps even worse as a fan is how boring they are to watch. I hate hate hate homerun/strikeout baseball, regardless of what the analytics say. We have zero consistent offense.

This was a team that going into the year projected to have a mediocre/bottom starting rotation. Burnes being useless was a surprise but even with that I'd say the starters have done about what they expected, not sure we thought we'd need much more.

The bullpen has been far worse than last year, which means the starters are asked to do more and they don't really have the ability to. The pitching problems for me all start with the bullpen. The other day against Oakland I felt we should have been up by 4-5 runs, but we couldn't come threw and I just felt like we would blow it (which of course we did). Reminded me of a football team that dominates 3 quarters but only gets 12 points on field goals and loses it in the fourth.

The offense is another huge problem. Obviously Shaw/Aguilar we awful, but I think there's a deeper issue. For the most part our bats have the individual statistics that would project as being a good offense, but because we are so terrible at situational hitting we don't produce runs nearly as well as we should. Braun/Moose both are hitting okay, but neither one ever draws walks. For whatever reason CC has left Cain at leadoff all year despite him struggling. The switch should have been made to Grandal/Yelich/Huira 1-2-3 a long time ago.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast