Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 270

Thread: 2019 Season

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,103
    Brewers are hanging around in the standings, but at this point, we have 3 guys that were supposed to be every day players in Braun, shaw and Aggy who are essentially unplayable. And you can't put grandal at 1st either because pina can't hit. It'd be nice to find a way to get hiura up and let him play 2nd, with Moose at 3rd and thames at 1st for a little bit, but barring injury, I'm not sure how you can make that roster work.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,961
    Hopefully Agi got things figured out last night and has a may like he did last year. I'd be looking at getting Thames more time in left, I know he isn't a great OF but his bat has been so good he should be in the lineup a tad more. I'm not ready for Huira yet but if we get halfway through May and Shaw is still struggling and Huira continues to mash at AAA I'm all for him taking over (or at least getting a week or two tryout).

    Hopefully the rotation is settling in Gio and Anderson have seemed to brought alot of stability. Maybe Chacin can sort things out and we can turn this nice stretch into a very strong May as well. Hopefully Peralta can be put in the pen when he come back and give us another stretch guy who can go 2/3 innings. I'm also glad we finally sent Wilson down, I didn't get sending Petricka down over him earlier in the week.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,103
    We need Aggy to heat up bad. I hope that game was his spark, but hes been atrocious. Braun and shaw need to get hot too. Weve been seemingly running on fumes to an extent. But we have the talent.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    1,725
    Its tough for me. I really don't see Thames playing outfield as a good option. Perez makes more sense if Braun can't hit. Honestly Braun made solid contact yesterday just didn't find holes. His numbers are atrocious but his at bats seem better than Shaw's or Aggy's have been. Really hoping Aggy starts hitting now, that would make a huge difference.

    I'm still in the mode of trying to relax and take things easy. The season is still young and we've had an incredibly tough schedule. I said before the season started that I'd be happy to be .500 at the end of April and we're right there. Easier games will come.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,103
    I would agree with that, but there's also an argument that we're sort of lucky to be just over 500 with our run differential. And it took a yelich heater to carry us through. Hopefully the rest of the team heats up.

    And thames isn't a great OF, but with the way the offense is going, it's hard to keep his bat out of the lineup.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I would agree with that, but there's also an argument that we're sort of lucky to be just over 500 with our run differential. And it took a yelich heater to carry us through. Hopefully the rest of the team heats up.

    And thames isn't a great OF, but with the way the offense is going, it's hard to keep his bat out of the lineup.
    The way this lineup is structured I expect a lot of ebbs and flow to come. We rely so heavily of the homerun ball that any individual hot player might carry the team for a few weeks, but I highly doubt we ever see the entire offense clicking.

    I don't read too much into run differential yet. First because again we have played a tough schedule. Second, because the way CC manages the bullpen we tend to let margins widen if we don't think we have a chance to win. And Third because our young arms really struggled out of the gates.

    My concern still lies with the bullpen but hopefully we can get a couple of guys that can find a rhythm and throws strikes more consistently. Nothing drives me more mad than relievers that are walking guys when we have a 2-3 run lead.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    1,725
    Sounds like the Brewers plan to move Burnes back to the bullpen for the time being, citing the Gio signing as the reason why.

    Not sure how I feel about this. I thought he was close to a sure thing as a starter, but early season struggles indicate otherwise. Hard for me to give up on him and I fear that if he moves to the bullpen he'll never really develop into a starter. Conversely I want to win now and this might give us the best option to do so.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,103
    I would keep him in the rotation for a little while longer, ideally in AAA. Starters are just so much more valuable than releivers unless you're Josh Hader good.

    And honestly, it doesn't feel like burnes current issues are related to starter vs reliever. He just can't locate and he leaves way too much stuff over the plate and he's getting shelled with his fastball. I don't think a shift to the pen will help that.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I would keep him in the rotation for a little while longer, ideally in AAA. Starters are just so much more valuable than releivers unless you're Josh Hader good.

    And honestly, it doesn't feel like burnes current issues are related to starter vs reliever. He just can't locate and he leaves way too much stuff over the plate and he's getting shelled with his fastball. I don't think a shift to the pen will help that.
    I agree. I'd rather see him work on his stuff at AAA. My guess is his confidence is just a bit shaken. I also think our bullpen is good enough to survive without him for the time being.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,961
    I don't mind Burnes in the pen but I would try and keep him at multiple innings, we have enough guys that are only getting through 5. It would be a good idea in my opinion to keep him a little stretched in case we need spot starts or just to go 3 innings when the pen is overworked.

    It's nice to see Braun turn things around so quickly. Time for Shaw to as well, Huira is making it hard not to give him a look .346/.393/.757 with 10 hr and 23 extra base hits in 107 abs.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    I don't mind Burnes in the pen but I would try and keep him at multiple innings, we have enough guys that are only getting through 5. It would be a good idea in my opinion to keep him a little stretched in case we need spot starts or just to go 3 innings when the pen is overworked.

    It's nice to see Braun turn things around so quickly. Time for Shaw to as well, Huira is making it hard not to give him a look .346/.393/.757 with 10 hr and 23 extra base hits in 107 abs.
    Shaw likely has about 2 more weeks to try and turn it around. If we hit memorial day weekend and he hasn't looked any better I don't see how they don't call Huira up. We need the bat.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,103
    Good timing, the hiura era has begun. We allegedly called him up today. Haven't heard the corresponding move yet, but we need help at the plate particularly from the right hand side, so this was necessary. Worst case scenario is hiura struggles and gets sent back down, but even him struggling can't be worse than the production were getting from any non-moose 1B/2B/3B.

    Edit: Sounds like shaw to the IL is the move. Makes sense and allows us to give him a few rehab start ABs in AAA to maybe get his swing back together once he's healthy.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 05-14-2019 at 12:26 PM.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Good timing, the hiura era has begun. We allegedly called him up today. Haven't heard the corresponding move yet, but we need help at the plate particularly from the right hand side, so this was necessary. Worst case scenario is hiura struggles and gets sent back down, but even him struggling can't be worse than the production were getting from any non-moose 1B/2B/3B.

    Edit: Sounds like shaw to the IL is the move. Makes sense and allows us to give him a few rehab start ABs in AAA to maybe get his swing back together once he's healthy.
    So lets say Huira just dominates at the MLB level. Great. Could really turn our teams offense up to another level much like Braun did back in the day. In that scenario what happens to Shaw? Can't see him getting back in the lineup on a regular basis so does he become a bench player? Don't think it would make too much sense to trade him at his lowest value in years.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,103
    Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    So lets say Huira just dominates at the MLB level. Great. Could really turn our teams offense up to another level much like Braun did back in the day. In that scenario what happens to Shaw? Can't see him getting back in the lineup on a regular basis so does he become a bench player? Don't think it would make too much sense to trade him at his lowest value in years.
    I mean, Aguilar hasn't exactly been tearing the cover off the ball either, so there's a potential path for playing time at 1B as well.

    And to me, there will be injuries at some point that could alter the picture. An injury to thames, Aguilar or Moose creates an obvious opening for shaw. An injury to any of the OF frees up a few starts in the OF for thames (gamel would get a good chunk too, but depending who it is, Braun needs off days and it probably wouldnt hurt to give Cain some extra rest), which frees up the lefthanded side of the 1st base platoon.

    There is a scenario where everyone is healthy and moderately productive that would get awkward, but to me, the likelihood of that is fairly slim so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    1,725
    I suppose you just deal with the awkwardness and figure we are likely losing Moose after the season anyways so it will clear up next year.

    I will be curious what the trade market, if any, will be for Shaw come the deadline.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •