Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: 2019 Season

Yea that's a pretty small sample though. I'd still rather face anyone but scherzer, but hes been hit the hardest in the 2nd half. His wOBA allowed is the worst of the 3 in the 2nd half. He's still limiting runs better than the other 2, but he's been hit harder.

It will be interesting to see how we line up. Unless the cubs win out and we get cold we should have a day or two to get prepared for the wild card game. Kyle's has been our best pitcher lately, but woody is probably the most talented if he's feeling fine.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Yea that's a pretty small sample though. I'd still rather face anyone but scherzer, but hes been hit the hardest in the 2nd half. His wOBA allowed is the worst of the 3 in the 2nd half. He's still limiting runs better than the other 2, but he's been hit harder.

It will be interesting to see how we line up. Unless the cubs win out and we get cold we should have a day or two to get prepared for the wild card game. Kyle's has been our best pitcher lately, but woody is probably the most talented if he's feeling fine.
    I could see both throwing. Lyles is accustomed to coming out of the bullpen even though he hasn't much this year. Start with Woody and he is probably only throwing 3 innings health wise then Lyles for however long. Also it is a pretty small sample size for Strasburg but winless in 5 starts with a 4.88 is a decent amount.

I could see Woody/Gio combo as the plan with Lyles being saved for G1 if the Brewers have a lead, if still 0-0 maybe Lyles.

We've faced strasburg twice in the last 5 years. Last year he threw 6 innings for 2 runs and this year is was 4 in 6+ but some of that was on a reliever blowup too. Both games we were scoreless through 4. So I'm definitely not putting much stock into him struggling against us.

I doubt we have to go with more than 1 starter. Our releivers have been throwing fairly well lately. I'd imagine if we stack guys it might be suter that gets the stack. Something like a woodruff/suter stack for 5ish innings makes sense. Then some combo of other guys for 2+ innings and Hader for 1-2 to close it out is probably the formula. Maybe it's lyles over woody, but I cant imagine we throw all our starters.

Washington sounds like they are taking the opposite approach. Scherzer is currently lined up for the WC but their skipper already said all the starters will probably be available.

We've faced strasburg twice in the last 5 years. Last year he threw 6 innings for 2 runs and this year is was 4 in 6+ but some of that was on a reliever blowup too. Both games we were scoreless through 4. So I'm definitely not putting much stock into him struggling against us.

I doubt we have to go with more than 1 starter. Our releivers have been throwing fairly well lately. I'd imagine if we stack guys it might be suter that gets the stack. Something like a woodruff/suter stack for 5ish innings makes sense. Then some combo of other guys for 2+ innings and Hader for 1-2 to close it out is probably the formula. Maybe it's lyles over woody, but I cant imagine we throw all our starters.

Washington sounds like they are taking the opposite approach. Scherzer is currently lined up for the WC but their skipper already said all the starters will probably be available.
    I would agree with the Woodruff-Suter piggy back. I think Lyles can be saved for G1 if it goes that way. I would rather go down with our most talented pitcher than someone who has just gotten hot. Due for a bad one lol. But at same time hard not to have hottest pitcher throw at all, too. What a run this has been for the Brewers and to do it with so many guys out and a AAA lineup for a few weeks and still going 19-4 in Sept. thus far.

I would also go with the Woodruff/Suter duo to get through 2 times through the lineup and then role out some combination of Peralta, Pomeranz, Claudio, Guerra to get Hader in the 8th.

What would you 25 man be for the full playoffs?
    C-Yas, Manny
    IF-Thames, Huira, Spang, Arcia, Moose, Perez
    OF-Braun, Cain, Gris, Gamel

SP-Lyles, Davies, Woodruff, Gio
    Pen- Hader, Guerra, Pom, Freddie, Claudio, Houser, Suter, Jackson

Last Spot?=Anderson, Black, Albers, ?

I was looking through stats and saw that Thames and Gamel both have 0 GDP, unless that is a type-o that is impressive.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/2019.shtml

Thames doesn't really shock me. He doesn't put the ball into play a ton and when he does, he doesn't hit a ton of ground balls.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    I would also go with the Woodruff/Suter duo to get through 2 times through the lineup and then role out some combination of Peralta, Pomeranz, Claudio, Guerra to get Hader in the 8th.

What would you 25 man be for the full playoffs?
    C-Yas, Manny
    IF-Thames, Huira, Spang, Arcia, Moose, Perez
    OF-Braun, Cain, Gris, Gamel

SP-Lyles, Davies, Woodruff, Gio
    Pen- Hader, Guerra, Pom, Freddie, Claudio, Houser, Suter, Jackson

Last Spot?=Anderson, Black, Albers, ?
    Not sure Spangy and perez both make it on 25-man....but I think this is very close to roster.

Not sure who else you keep though. You keep at least 12 hitters but probably 13 to be honest. I just don't think there's many other decent options.

As much as I don't want Perez on the 25 man I can't see Tyler Austin, David Frietas, Travis Shaw, Tyrone Taylor or any other fielders taking his spot as the 12th hitter. Maybe you role the dice and give Shaw a chance but I find it hard to justify a .150 hitter in the game at any point in the playoffs, Woodruff would be a better pinch hitting option (maybe better than Perez as well).

Yeah probably. The bench bats are going to be lacking any sort of power with Pina, Gamel, HP and Spangy. But Spangy probably comes in for defense late with the lead for Hiura and HP can play a ton of spots or vice versa. Just going to be no real punch off the bench with the bats.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Yeah probably. The bench bats are going to be lacking any sort of power with Pina, Gamel, HP and Spangy. But Spangy probably comes in for defense late with the lead for Hiura and HP can play a ton of spots or vice versa. Just going to be no real punch off the bench with the bats.
    Man was losing G161 a killer. Would have likely held on to beat Rox in G162 and had 1-game playoff with Cards for division which I would have felt good about. Now face Scherzer in do-or-die...Love starting Woody as he has looked great, but with no Yeli and Braun, Cain and Grandal a combined 1 for 42 off Scherzer....not feeling great.

Ouch

Yea that was a real gut punch. I told myself not to get too excited about the game since Washington had the edge, especially with our health. But it was hard not to get too excited when it's 3-1 in the 8th.

Even before he was on the mound I wasn't a huge fan of Hader going two. That being said, he really was our best option when you look at the season as a whole. We have some guys who have been hot lately, but I guess at the end of the day if you told me before the year that we'd have a two run lead with a rest Hader for the final 2 innings, I would have taken it. And that decision is a ton easier to make from the couch than from the dugout.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 10-03-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Yea that was a real gut punch. I told myself not to get too excited about the game since Washington had the edge, especially with our health. But it was hard not to get too excited when it's 3-1 in the 8th.

Even before he was on the mound I wasn't a huge fan of Hader going two. That being said, he really was our best option when you look at the season as a whole. We have some guys who have been hot lately, but I guess at the end of the day if you told me before the year that we'd have a two run lead with a rest Hader for the final 2 innings, I would have taken it. And that decision is a ton easier to make from the couch than from the dugout.
    That's very true crewfan. I hate the idiotic people saying CC should be fired...uh..he managed the staff brilliantly in September and to get this team not to hang heads after all the injuries and then Yeli injury and underperformers...what a job by him.

My biggest thing was Suter only going 1...I am with you, not a fan of Hader going 2 with his HR issues this year. I was thinking after Woody went 4, Suter 2, Pom 2, Hader....go to Hader earlier if Pom gets a guy on or something. But CC had the pulse of the team and knows how to use guys but I wasn't a fan of Hader starting the 8th. Again much easier from the couch.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718