Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: 2019 Season

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    1,613
    Burnes needs to fix the homerun issue he's having. Its a major red flag. Granted its early, so we'll see. The bullpen also has struggled. Hopefully we have the pieces to fix that from within. Already seeing Stearns makes moves to replace some struggling arms.

    I don't read too much into anything this early in the years. Everything will be different in a few months. Its always good to get off to a strong start though.

    On a side note, but is it just me or are homeruns ways up so far? Not just for us, but for the league as a whole. Individual players have huge homerun numbers already. Any theories behind this? Wonder if MLB modified something that has caused this surge?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,694
    I could be wrong, but it feels like they are really handling pitchers with kid gloves all spring. Guys don't seem to be ready going into the season and teams seem to hold guys back. And maybe that's innings management, but guys like Kershaw wouldn't have started the league in the minors 10 years ago. Same with Jimmy Nelson. Seems like the goal is no longer get them ready for opening day, it seems like if there's any injury, let's be safe. I think that might play a part in it. Batters are ahead of pitchers as far as preparedness goes it seems.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    1,613
    I don't understand why teams are so afraid to use pitchers. I haven't seen much evidence that suggests pitching less, especially at a younger age is any better for your arm. I listened to a podcast with Dr. James Andrews once where he suggests that pitching more during the season is actually better because it increase arm strength, and as long as you're getting adequate rest between starts and that you stop pitching for a few months in the off-season things should be fine.

    Injuries are going to happen, especially to guys with violent breaking stuff. Resting Strasburg down the stretch did nothing for him long term.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,694
    Yea I think there's alot of misinformation about that stuff. There's not a lot of evidence in any direction on what causes the arm injuries. I think there's a real discussion that some guys are approaching the physical limits of their arms, and that's probably part of it.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,818
    I think some of the reason pitchers go less has more to do with teams using more analytics and not letting a pitcher who isn't in top form go through the order more than twice. Especially with bullpens being better and deeper than ever before. It feels like every team uses statistics more and more and less gut feeling, GM's are becoming managers more and forcing things that never use to happen.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,694
    Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    I think some of the reason pitchers go less has more to do with teams using more analytics and not letting a pitcher who isn't in top form go through the order more than twice. Especially with bullpens being better and deeper than ever before. It feels like every team uses statistics more and more and less gut feeling, GM's are becoming managers more and forcing things that never use to happen.
    But that would actually be counterintuitive to why home runs seem up. If that was the case, pitchers facing guys less, then home runs should actually be down. I guess the theory is that pitchers arent being used in spring the same way they used to be and are still using the first part of the season to get up to speed. Teams also seem to be less risk inclined on guys. In the past, especially 10+ years ago, opening day was always the target for injured players. I don't think that's the case as much anymore, especially pitchers. Because teams are more "wear and tear" conscious, I think they're more willing to let guys start the year on the IL and spend more time getting ready for the season.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    1,613
    The young pitchers continue to struggle and homeruns this season are completely off the charts. Its been an odd season so far.

    I did see some clips of Jimmy Nelson pitching. Not sure on his fastball velocity but his breaking stuff looks really strong. I foresee at least one of the young arms being replaced in the rotation by Nelson/Anderson by mid-May.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,694
    Yea, Freddy Peralta can't find the strike zone. With his stuff, he has to work ahead in the count. If he isn't finding the zone, he's in trouble. And burnes can't keep the ball in the yard. So Nelson has to replace one of those two I would think.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,818
    Peralta needs to work it out in the minors, Burnes to me just needs to keep the ball down better. I think Burnes hasn't bee as bad from a pitching stand point he is just making a ton of pitches right down the pipe that are clearly being taken advantage of. Maybe Burnes needs to turn it down a notch and pitch at 93-94 instead of 95-97, that is closer to where he was in college.

    Man is Domingo Santana making that trade look bad, especially with Braun struggling. I have been happy with just about everything Stearns has done, but picking Braun over Santana might sting for a while.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    Peralta needs to work it out in the minors, Burnes to me just needs to keep the ball down better. I think Burnes hasn't bee as bad from a pitching stand point he is just making a ton of pitches right down the pipe that are clearly being taken advantage of. Maybe Burnes needs to turn it down a notch and pitch at 93-94 instead of 95-97, that is closer to where he was in college.

    Man is Domingo Santana making that trade look bad, especially with Braun struggling. I have been happy with just about everything Stearns has done, but picking Braun over Santana might sting for a while.
    Its not really picking Braun over Santana though. Braun was already under contract, we had him on the roster regardless. I also think Stearns new Santana was going to be a decent hitter, his previous numbers kind of proved he could. That being said he's a defensive liability. I've got zero problem moving him, about my only issue was the return, I'd have thought we could have gotten more.

    I also think its speaks volumes at how little interest there was in Santana when we had him on the block. Clear other GMs didn't have great projections for him.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,694
    Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    Its not really picking Braun over Santana though. Braun was already under contract, we had him on the roster regardless. I also think Stearns new Santana was going to be a decent hitter, his previous numbers kind of proved he could. That being said he's a defensive liability. I've got zero problem moving him, about my only issue was the return, I'd have thought we could have gotten more.

    I also think its speaks volumes at how little interest there was in Santana when we had him on the block. Clear other GMs didn't have great projections for him.
    Agree. Braun isn't really movable. And it's fairly early on Santana too. His babip is absurdly high and isn't sustainable. He's had hot stretches before. Not saying he's bad or anything, but it's still fairly early to judge him too much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •