Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2019 Season

Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    Without Aggy though who do we have that we can bring in as a right handed power bat if needed?
    He hasn't been a power bat this year. 5 homers a .322 slg percentage. That's horrible. Dee Gordon-esque.

On Hook, I never got hiring him as pitching coach. He was in charge of pitching development for Brewers and who really developed into anything special?

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    He hasn't been a power bat this year. 5 homers a .322 slg percentage. That's horrible. Dee Gordon-esque.

On Hook, I never got hiring him as pitching coach. He was in charge of pitching development for Brewers and who really developed into anything special?
    That's basically what I was goign to say. With Aggy, who are we going to bring in as a right handed power bat?

I would also consider swapping out pina for Nottingham, who can provide a little pop if you need it. I would also consider restarting the Braun at first base experiment as well as a way to get gamel a few extra at bats.

So maybe Braun at first but I still think, despite the numbers, Aguilar can provide a little pop off the bench. I just don't like the idea of how lefty heavy our lineup is without him, especially considering the power lefty pitching playoff teams have.

Shaw finally being sent down. At least a month overdue. No clue what took so long. As saw Saladino is coming back, not Dubon. Shaw headed down but haven't seen who the other player leaving is. You'd assume Perez but hard to believe they'd DFA him.

It is a DFA for Perez. But I suppose that makes sense. Hes been sub .300 obp for 3 straight years. He just isn't super valuable. He's a nice to have and got his last shot at a chance to shine over the last 2 weeks and was awful.

He was a good locker room guy by all accounts. So hopefully the clubhouse doesn't take a hit, but it's hard to look the team in the eye and say he was the best bet to help the team win.

Also, as a bit of an interesting aside, Saladino has been playing a little first base as well. Looks like San Antonio has been playing him and spangenberg all over the place, but Saladino may get a chance to unseat Aggy if he struggles. Aggy rightfully will have a longer leash than Perez did, but if he struggles, they at least seemingly have a contingency plan for a right handed 1B option. So that could be part of the reason he was called up instead of dubon.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    It is a DFA for Perez. But I suppose that makes sense. Hes been sub .300 obp for 3 straight years. He just isn't super valuable. He's a nice to have and got his last shot at a chance to shine over the last 2 weeks and was awful.

He was a good locker room guy by all accounts. So hopefully the clubhouse doesn't take a hit, but it's hard to look the team in the eye and say he was the best bet to help the team win.

Also, as a bit of an interesting aside, Saladino has been playing a little first base as well. Looks like San Antonio has been playing him and spangenberg all over the place, but Saladino may get a chance to unseat Aggy if he struggles. Aggy rightfully will have a longer leash than Perez did, but if he struggles, they at least seemingly have a contingency plan for a right handed 1B option. So that could be part of the reason he was called up instead of dubon.
    Would Saladino be the shortest 1B in baseball? 6-0? I agree with the move. Perez is horrible. Career .284 obp. Woof.

To be fair, thames isn't really any taller.

Speaking of locker room guys, just me or does it seem like this team is missing something in that department compared to last season. Kind of wish we would have brought back Vogt instead of Pina.

Pina is actually well liked in the locker room too. I dont really see much of a locker room problem. It's just a team that's struggling.

Pina is actually well liked in the locker room too. I dont really see much of a locker room problem. It's just a team that's struggling.
    Not saying there's a problem, just last season had a special vibe. The team was always in a good mood last year. I think Vogt and Suter played a big part in that. Its not like the team never struggled last season.

Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    Not saying there's a problem, just last season had a special vibe. The team was always in a good mood last year. I think Vogt and Suter played a big part in that. Its not like the team never struggled last season.
    The stretch right after the AS break is going to be critical IMO. Brewers have to go on a run, but health is a big concern. Braun, Yeli, Hader all nicked up. Not good at all for the Brewers. The pen isn't close to what it was last year with JJ regression, Knebel injury which has thrust Guerra into 8th inning duty or late innings which he isn't suited for IMO. The rotation has been very inconsistent just like the offense. Brewers need to right the ship quickly after the break but I think it is dependent on health of the best players.

What do you think we can realistically get in trades? I really can't see us being able to get a top of the rotation starter unless they are expiring. To be honest, I feel like our farm system isn't great and we shouldn't make it to much worse. Obviously we could use some bullpen help maybe 2 or 3 decent players. I like Mychal Givens a lot, he hasn't been great this year but has some control and good upside.

Here are my ideas
    1)We get Mychal Givens O's get Trey Supak, Nate Griep, and Jake Gatewood
    2)We get Roenis Elias M's get Zack Brown and PTBNL (One of recent International Signings)
    3)We get MadBum Giants get Peralta, Payton Henry, and maybe add in another prospect if the Giants take MadBums contract.
    4)We trade Anderson, Chacin, or Gio to Tampa, San Diego, Colorado, Nationals, or White Sox for whatever minor league pieces we can get.

Givens and Elias give us 2 later innings options that have good stuff and can be controlled for a couple years. I'm not completely sold on MadBum but I would be ok giving up Peralta and some throw in pieces for him. The presence of MadBum allows us to get rid of a starter who would lose their rotation spot and likely not have a place in the pen with the new guys. We avoid giving up a major prospect (except Peralta) and get some controlled players.

1)MadBum 2)Woodruff 3)Davies 4-5) Chacin, Gio, Anderson, Nelson, Houser
    Hader, Jeffress, Givens, Elias, Guerra, Claudio, Albers, Houser or Burnes (or another guy who pitches well over the next 2-3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    What do you think we can realistically get in trades? I really can't see us being able to get a top of the rotation starter unless they are expiring. To be honest, I feel like our farm system isn't great and we shouldn't make it to much worse. Obviously we could use some bullpen help maybe 2 or 3 decent players. I like Mychal Givens a lot, he hasn't been great this year but has some control and good upside.

Here are my ideas
    1)We get Mychal Givens O's get Trey Supak, Nate Griep, and Jake Gatewood
    2)We get Roenis Elias M's get Zack Brown and PTBNL (One of recent International Signings)
    3)We get MadBum Giants get Peralta, Payton Henry, and maybe add in another prospect if the Giants take MadBums contract.
    4)We trade Anderson, Chacin, or Gio to Tampa, San Diego, Colorado, Nationals, or White Sox for whatever minor league pieces we can get.

Givens and Elias give us 2 later innings options that have good stuff and can be controlled for a couple years. I'm not completely sold on MadBum but I would be ok giving up Peralta and some throw in pieces for him. The presence of MadBum allows us to get rid of a starter who would lose their rotation spot and likely not have a place in the pen with the new guys. We avoid giving up a major prospect (except Peralta) and get some controlled players.

1)MadBum 2)Woodruff 3)Davies 4-5) Chacin, Gio, Anderson, Nelson, Houser
    Hader, Jeffress, Givens, Elias, Guerra, Claudio, Albers, Houser or Burnes (or another guy who pitches well over the next 2-3 weeks.
    That package isn't getting it done for MadBum; Elias I am not giving up Z. Brown for. I think it is clear what D. Stearns is doing. He is trying to find a Miley, band-aid to the rotation with signings like Smyly and Miller hoping one works out and focusing on the pen. The demand for rotation arms is crazy and Brewers system doesn't have the pieces. I think this stretch has probably cost the Brewers the playoffs going 9-17 vs. sub-.500 teams in last 26. Now they face 16 of 19 over .500 teams.

Brewers could be selling Yaz and Moose rather than buying depending how the next week goes. With this staff and the inconsistent offense this team wouldn't do ******* in the playoffs at this point. They are taking shot on low-risk rotation arms and hoping to stay in it to get a couple pen arms and move Houser back to the pen also. Not sure that's enough. Just a different vibe you get this year as opposed to last year.

Last year Chacin pitched out of his mind; Aggy had career year. No one has made up for that offense. Also Hook dropoff from DJ has been immense. Might be most underlying factor in why pitching sucks this year. Not the only reason but definitely a massive dropoff in pitching coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Brewers could be selling Yaz and Moose rather than buying depending how the next week goes. With this staff and the inconsistent offense this team wouldn't do ******* in the playoffs at this point. They are taking shot on low-risk rotation arms and hoping to stay in it to get a couple pen arms and move Houser back to the pen also. Not sure that's enough. Just a different vibe you get this year as opposed to last year.

Last year Chacin pitched out of his mind; Aggy had career year. No one has made up for that offense. Also Hook dropoff from DJ has been immense. Might be most underlying factor in why pitching sucks this year. Not the only reason but definitely a massive dropoff in pitching coaches.
    Big series win over the Braves. I don't see the Brewers selling but going to be interesting what happens with Shaw bound to return to the bigs imminently. I think the only thing to do is move Thames (barring injury). Hiura and Moose are playing 95 percent of the games at 2B/3B. Only spot to open is platoon at 1B. Thames could get a reliever perhaps to AL team as DH. Kind of similar why Spangenberg isn't coming up as Shaw...he isn't a backup SS so no real spot with Moose and Hiura playing 95 percent of games at those positions. I say just bring Dubon up and let him backup SS over Saladino.

Houser was moved back to pen as Gio returns. I said I thought Houser back to pen sets stage for Crew to acquire a couple pen arms at deadline as their buying moves.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678