Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 2019 Season

Dubon is basically an Arcia type but a little better pure hitter (speaking offensively). If he hit .260 in the bigs he wouldn't have a .300 OBP. I think the problem is pitching. Finally putting Houser in the rotation. Need to improve and set the rotation to improve the pen as I think Freddy is a long reliever and can do middle relief. ALbers has actually been decent. Guerra needs to be a middle relief guy and I think JJ is fried. Won't ever be close to level of last year. Not a setup guy anymore. Woody/Davies/Houser and hopefully Gio and Chacin. Chase sucks.

The pitching is the problem. MLB offenses are almost all hit or miss but the Brewers are in top 5 in a ton of categories without contributions from Shaw/Aggy. Bring Hiura up and sit down Shaw. Moose at 3B. Play Aggy/Thames platoon and if aggy can't get it going still although trending better have Grandal play 1B more. Can maybe get a Swarzak type at deadline again to set up Hader. The pitching getting rocked by Miami and SF was pretty eye-opening. Those offenses suck and pitchers were tagged. Losing 8-7 to SF? Giving up 16 runs to Miami? The Brewers offense has been pretty good especially considering some disaster years by key guys entering the year.

Couple things. We had a bad week or so stretch and it happened to come against bad teams. I don't get too worked up about that. Every team has rough stretches. The cubs have had 2 different stretches where they've lost 8 of 10. The astros are currently in a stretch where they've lost 8 of 10. I don't think anyone thinks those are bad teams.

I also wouldnt say JJ is fried. He's had a scoreless outing in 18 of his 25 outings. When he gets shelled, he usually gives up a few and they group together sometimes, but hes largely been solid. He's had bad outings in 2 of his last 3 but prior to that his era was 2.5.

As for dubon, I haven't heard much on him defensively lately, but the story was with him coming up was that he was a mediocre defender at short. He was playable but maybe not a plus defender. I'm not sure if thats changed, but that could be at least a partial explanation for why they are hesitant to call him up. With a host of already questionable defenders around him, having a guy like arcia with a some range helps at short.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Couple things. We had a bad week or so stretch and it happened to come against bad teams. I don't get too worked up about that. Every team has rough stretches. The cubs have had 2 different stretches where they've lost 8 of 10. The astros are currently in a stretch where they've lost 8 of 10. I don't think anyone thinks those are bad teams.

I also wouldnt say JJ is fried. He's had a scoreless outing in 18 of his 25 outings. When he gets shelled, he usually gives up a few and they group together sometimes, but hes largely been solid. He's had bad outings in 2 of his last 3 but prior to that his era was 2.5.

As for dubon, I haven't heard much on him defensively lately, but the story was with him coming up was that he was a mediocre defender at short. He was playable but maybe not a plus defender. I'm not sure if thats changed, but that could be at least a partial explanation for why they are hesitant to call him up. With a host of already questionable defenders around him, having a guy like arcia with a some range helps at short.
    Yeah on Dubon, plus the fact he missed all ST and got down to what 150 lbs with that infection, so he's behind a bit so maybe want to make sure he's all good.

On JJ I judge on stuff. His stuff has looked mediocre at best this year. Not nearly the movement on the fastball which makes him extremely hittable as his curveball isn't good. No bite. Same reasons I was so high on Woodruff from the jump. He has legit stuff and a four-pitch mix. I also think Houser has better shot at sticking in rotation than Freddy or Burnes because he has four-pitch arsenal with multiple plus pitches. Burnes so dependent on 2 pitches at this point and FP one - the fastball. I hope Houser sticks but hard to stretch a guy out in bigs starting. But Houser is legit IMO.

What do you think the benchmarks are for Shaw and Aguilar to remain on this team? I would say by AS break Aggy and Shaw both have to show much more than they have even recently as I do think Aggy has shown better ABs last few weeks. Shaw still looks lost for most part. Can't hit LHP at all. I think Aggy has more rope because Shaw can just be benched for Moose with Hiura at 2B. Don't think CC wants to use Grandal at 1B/C Pina a ton.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567