Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season

Trade market could be more for shaw, but if I need to move 1 guy, I look to move Aggy before shaw. Shaw is more versatile to me. He can play 1st or 3rd so you have more flexibility when roster building in the future.

Depends on your outlook for the players. I like Aggy a lot better at the plate (despite the statistics I know!). I also think we're a bit overloaded with lefty power hitters so having a good right handed bat is a necessity.

But if we're talking longer term, that's not really the case. Yeli is the only lefty inked long term, assuming your scenario to move shaw. Moose and thames are FAs. Braun and Cain are still around. Grandy is a FA but a switch hitter anyhow. Hiura is a righty and in for the long haul. Arcia is a righty but hes not a guy you really focus on his bat though.

And I just think it's more likely shaw turns it around. Even in his "down" year last year he ended up having a pretty solid year. Aggy has had one really hot half of a season, and one decent half (1st half of last year was great, and 1st half of the year before was pretty good). But hes had struggles beyond that.

I am strictly looking at this season solely on the basis of how our contracts are structured. This season we need Aggy more. Next season we can explore adding another lefty if necessary.

I agree Shaw's stats, especially his walk rate, are more favorable than Aguilar. However I'm basing my opinion strictly on the eye test and who more consistently makes solid contact and has solid at bats. Jesus also seems to have a much higher ceiling.

I am trying to think of a way we can trade our pitching surplus and maybe Shaw to a re-building team for a top of the rotation arm. I can't quite make anything work all the way.

Burnes and Agi to White Sox for Abreu and Colome
    Anderson to the Yankees for Chad Green and a prospect
    Travis Shaw and Gio to the Rays for Daniel Robertson and a prospect

We get a run producer, bullpen help, and some pieces for next year or to go after MadBum or Stroman

I guess keeping Nelson in AAA works, he will get a little more time until an injury to fully get adjusted. I still would be looking at trades early here to turn a starter into a valuable piece elswehere. Looking at my earlier ideas I like the idea of getting Abreu but giving up Burnes and Agi is likely way to much. Maybe Agi and a mid-level prospect and not put in Colome. I still like the Chase Anderson to the Yankees idea. The Shaw trade doesn't work because it would be hard to get solid major league value back from the Rays.

Problem with trading a starter is that we don't have a ton of injury depth in that case. We do have a bit of a backlog right now, but if we move on from the backlog and then have an injury, we're looking at forcing a struggling Peralta to be a big time starter or starting guys like houser, which isn't ideal.

Nelson should be interesting too. He wasn't overly productive in his rehab stint. I sometimes chalk that up to guys just getting work in. When you're rehabbing, you make sure to throw all your pitches and your more about health and testing things than results. For rehabs it's about throwing a certain number of pitches and throwing every pitch and locating everywhere.

I'm hoping the mindset changes now. Now he should be focused on grinding out productive games. If something isn't working, you go away from it. I'm interested to see if his results improve now.

If I'm Stearns I think I basically stay with the roster we have for now. I'd love to add a reliever at some point, that's the only part of this team that makes me nervous. Something about Hader this season doesn't give me much faith in him. He only throws fastballs, I'd really like to see him mix things up a bit or he'll continue to give up the homerun ball. No Knebel really hurts.

I just don't see he need to add any "top of the rotation" arms. Outside of what Davies and Woodruff have been doing how much more top of the rotation do you need? I get guys aren't overly confident in Davies and while he doesn't have "ace" stuff he's always put up solid numbers. Anything sub 4.00 I consider good enough. Anything lower than that is a bonus. There are only 27 pitchers in the NL with an era sub 4.00 currently. We have 2 of them. Chacin is traditionally a second half pitcher.

We can certainly get through the regular season without an ace but it is going to be extremely difficult come playoff time without one. Especially since the bullpen isn't as dominant as last year, maybe we can find some cheap bargains or have an arm come up through the minors maybe Drew Rasmussen if he keeps up the impressive start to the year.

How long do we leave Huira in AAA? I get that is likely tied into how Shaw does over the next week or two.

The Mariners are in a fire sale and this doesn't solve any starter issues but what about trading Aggy/prospect to Mariners for Encarnacion? He would bring stability and consistency to first base. Also Brewers need a 3-4 type. Moose has been great but career .310 obp guy; Braun more a 5-hitter now. Encarnacion solves 1B issues and is a middle of the order bat the Brewers need. Him behind yeli would be great.

Also I understand the Hiura move but the Brewers have so many .250 type power guys that it is nice to have a guy who projects to be a .280 plus hitter and can be moved around the lineup. A high-average guy with enough pop is needed in this lineup with Cain back to reality this year as he was bound to not have so many schtoinker and infield hits as last year.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    The Mariners are in a fire sale and this doesn't solve any starter issues but what about trading Aggy/prospect to Mariners for Encarnacion? He would bring stability and consistency to first base. Also Brewers need a 3-4 type. Moose has been great but career .310 obp guy; Braun more a 5-hitter now. Encarnacion solves 1B issues and is a middle of the order bat the Brewers need. Him behind yeli would be great.

Also I understand the Hiura move but the Brewers have so many .250 type power guys that it is nice to have a guy who projects to be a .280 plus hitter and can be moved around the lineup. A high-average guy with enough pop is needed in this lineup with Cain back to reality this year as he was bound to not have so many schtoinker and infield hits as last year.
    I don't mind the concept of trading for Encarnacion but I think its unlikely considering his salary. Seems like he's basically just another version what we already have. .250 hitter with power. And trading for him still wouldn't solve the Huira issue. Need to get Huira more playing time but not sure how to do that without trading Shaw or Thames.

Right now I'm in favor of trading Thames over Aguilar. Trade Thames for bullpen help (we desperately need some middle relief) and platoon Shaw/Aggy until one of them gets hot. Huira can slide into second as an everyday player then. I'd immediately move Huira to the 3 hole much like we did with Braun back in the day.

Some good signs lately as Thames has been pretty good for last month or so. Shaw, Thames and Aguilar had 5 hits yesterday. Would be a huge boost for the offense. Only reason I liked Encarnacion is because he is a proven 3-hitter with serious pop and wouldn't have to give up much to get him. Who cares about salary? Would only have to pay about $10 mill this year and $5M buyout but probably could have traded Aggy/middling prospect to get him. Also Braun isn't a 3-hitter anymore IMO. Can't stand when CC puts Cain at 3 when Gamel and him play together. Talk about someone who isn't a 3-hitter. Moose and Grandal are bound to come back to Earth here soon too so would be massive to get Aggy or Shaw going now.

Wish the Brewers could get a starter but not sure they have the prospects to get it done because Hiura isn't going anywhere that will really make a huge difference. Ray has really gone down value wise and doubt any other package could get a Bauer-type without Hiura as the centerpiece gets a difference-maker in the rotation.

I'm tired of this teams sluggish offensive output. Arcia is right back to his old way, pulling his head every at bat trying to hit homeruns. Shaw/Aguilar maybe slightly better but still not good enough to be in the lineup. Shaw can't hit lefties and barely hits righties. Perez is versatile but not nearly good enough offensively to play everyday. Middle relief is a big problem with this team. If the game is tied or we're losing close and the starter goes out we have no chance. I have zero faith in any of our middle relievers at this point.

Need to do something. Dubon and Huira ready? They can hit? At least one of them should be here. Put Huira/Braun in the 2 hole. Slide Yelich to the 3 hole. Put Grandal as leadoff (guy flat out gets on base). Cain should slide down to the 7 spot.

Travis shaw has to be sent down or Aguilar needs to be designated. We need hiura. Perez getting regular at bats at 2nd is unforgivable when you have a top 5 hitting prospect in all of baseball sitting in the minors.

And stretches like this are why alot of us say we need a true ace. We need a stopper who can throw 7 innings of 1 or 2 run ball on a semi regular basis and stop the bleeding when we are cold like this.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Travis shaw has to be sent down or Aguilar needs to be designated. We need hiura. Perez getting regular at bats at 2nd is unforgivable when you have a top 5 hitting prospect in all of baseball sitting in the minors.

And stretches like this are why alot of us say we need a true ace. We need a stopper who can throw 7 innings of 1 or 2 run ball on a semi regular basis and stop the bleeding when we are cold like this.
    Not sure why we're waiting on Huira. But maybe Stearns wants him to work on things. Fine. Dubon is a perfectly reasonable option too and he can play multiple positions.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast