Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NB MA
    Posts
    10,952

    Is it now the norm to sign for more money over winning a Super Bowl?

    I'd admit I don't follow every free agent signing but I can't help but wonder why some would rather go to a team for more money rather than win a SB? I mean don't these guys have bank accounts with millions in them already? And these are the same guys that complain why their team never wins. The only teams can see making a deep run after these FA signings (without counting the draft) are The Browns, Patriots and Saints.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    52,506
    I think so. Players are starting to treat it as a business, and with HOF voting are starting to see that rings for anyone but the QB are starting to become overrated.

    PROCESSING

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    I'd admit I don't follow every free agent signing but I can't help but wonder why some would rather go to a team for more money rather than win a SB? I mean don't these guys have bank accounts with millions in them already? And these are the same guys that complain why their team never wins. The only teams can see making a deep run after these FA signings (without counting the draft) are The Browns, Patriots and Saints.
    More money, more problems, more expenses. While I'd love to be in their shoes, we can't pretend that just because some of them are millionaires that an extra 4 or 5 million a year isn't enormous.

    Football is still a job. While I'm sure everyone would prefer to win, monetary compensation (as well as location) are, rightfully, major factors in where these guys want to go. These guys have lives and families too and are factoring it in with the decisions they make.
    Believe the hype. The Baker has come.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a crib
    Posts
    25,870
    I mean, ideally of course you'd want both but let's be real, football is still their occupation and likely majority form of income so if it comes down to taking a small contract for a winning team or playing elsewhere and getting paid significantly more, I wouldn't blame them for taking the latter.

    Your baby can't do this

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    27,316
    I bet that quite a few have a (perhaps irrational) belief that the team they are signing with actually has a shot to win the SB.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    11,614
    Doesn't matter who you are a million dollars is a million dollars
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2017 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    52,506
    I think part of it has to do too with the youth movement. Rookie contracts are no longer huge overbloated things, and teams are looking to use it to fill out their roster as opposed to a vet. So going into with a business mindset is going to push a lot of players to want situations that pay.

    PROCESSING

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    13,191
    For the first wave of free agents, I feel like it's always been the higher money wins.

    It's the older players who sometimes go chasing after a ring.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,630
    You can always take the paycheck to the bank but you can't guarantee a ring anywhere. Plus there's virtually no loyalty amongst the teams anymore either. You can take a discount to go to a contender and they could cut you after year 1 anyways.

    Let's say you take less money and go to new England to try to win a ring. Now you don't win a ring next year, then Brady, belichek and gronk all retire and you're on a crappy team for less money. Or you choose Kansas city. You don't win in year 1 and they now have to start looking to free up space for a monster mahomes extension, now you're out looking for a job again and have less money. There's scenarios like that for every team.

    I'd never blame a guy for looking out for himself first and putting himself in the best position for himself personally. I hate comparing sports to the real world, but we all do that same thing in our lives. And I get the difference between Joe blow getting a $3k raise and cj mosley taking an extra $5 mill or something, but i still don't blame anyone for doing that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    8,595
    If a player hasn't yet gotten a big contract, why would it be logical for them NOT to go for the most money?
    Most that put a ring first....have already made big money
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NB MA
    Posts
    10,952
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I think part of it has to do too with the youth movement. Rookie contracts are no longer huge overbloated things, and teams are looking to use it to fill out their roster as opposed to a vet. So going into with a business mindset is going to push a lot of players to want situations that pay.
    Wasn't there a lot of uproar a few yrs back from veteran players that were getting Pissed because of lot of these
    rookies were getting big time contracts while they were getting paid peanuts compared to them? I could be wrong but I do remember hearing something about that. How one guy for ex lets say a Rookie QB would get a 5 or 10 yr guranteed $100 million while a veteran Qb would only get $25 million somewhere along those lines.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    1,990
    I find this question incredibly bizarre. How many people on this board have left a fortune 500 "award winning company" at a low to mid level for much bigger pay at a company that is perhaps not as successful but gives you an opportunity to make major bank? I have. Grow up everyone this is a business. It's the entertainment business but still a business nonetheless.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Players still want to win the super bowl. You ask every NFL player in the league right now and they tell you the goal is to win the SB at the end of the year. Now, some will take more money elsewhere to try and reach that goal but I highly doubt a lot of these guys just sign major contracts then lay back
    Yankees, Eagles, Sixers, NYRangers



  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    13,191
    Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    Wasn't there a lot of uproar a few yrs back from veteran players that were getting Pissed because of lot of these
    rookies were getting big time contracts while they were getting paid peanuts compared to them? I could be wrong but I do remember hearing something about that. How one guy for ex lets say a Rookie QB would get a 5 or 10 yr guranteed $100 million while a veteran Qb would only get $25 million somewhere along those lines.
    Yes, the NFLPA consists mostly of veterans (unsurprisingly) and agreed with the NFL to put the rookie wage scale into the CBA.

    The screwed themselves over a little bit because (again unsurprisingly) teams prefer players on their cheap rookie contracts over veterans.

    The rookie contracts worked out well for the NFL as an entertainment product, but I feel like we might see some changes in that regard with the next CBA. Or we might see an expansion of veteran salaries not counting towards the caps. (Right now a 4+ year player making the veteran minimum has a lower cap hit than what he's actually paid.)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    8,595
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    I find this question incredibly bizarre. How many people on this board have left a fortune 500 "award winning company" at a low to mid level for much bigger pay at a company that is perhaps not as successful but gives you an opportunity to make major bank? I have. Grow up everyone this is a business. It's the entertainment business but still a business nonetheless.
    Sometimes I think people see players towards the ends of their careers make decisions based on their best chance to win a ring.....and think that should be every players primary focus. Every one of these guys worked hard to get where they are and, especially in football, know it could end at any given moment....and many of these guys also have limited skills to do anything else.....so their first priority is (and should be) setting themselves up financially before even thinking of making a ring their primary priority.

    That's NOT to say they aren't...or shouldn't be...competitive enough to want the ring. But, they'd do themselves and their families a disservice to not think financially first.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •