Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who is in for an overpay this summer?

Discuss any candidates who will get paid far more than they are worth.

For me, my top 2 list is:

1) Bojan Bogdanovic - 29 year old in a contract year 23 PPG since the break and leading Indiana further than they expected since loss of Oladipo. Will probably get $20M+.

2) Nikola Vucevic - 28, but will be 29 years old at start of next season. In a contract year putting up great stats on a garbage team that he hasn't gotten to the playoffs once. Probably will get a huge deal by a terrible team like Phoenix.

Other players?

why would the suns overpay Vuc when they have Ayton?

Vucevic is setting career highs in points, rebounds, and assists, 2pt FG%, 3pt FG%, and oRtg. Unless a Magic fan can point to something specific that changed, I doubt that's sustainable. It just screams "contract year".

Bogdanovic never had consistent minutes until Indiana, so it's hard to judge based on anything except the last two years. I think he could be a higher usage player and that could be tempting for some team looking for a 1b to throw $20 million at. But he's a pretty subpar defender and Indiana is built to cover him. If he stays, I think it's for something like 4yr, $60 million.

Darren Collison is in for a payday. When he came back to Indiana last year, he got in touch with Steve Nash through their agent, and Nash apparently spilled all the secrets. Collison has been a different player ever since. He's become a better shooter, better passer, makes better decisions, etc. And none of it is based on athleticism. Say what you want about Oladipo or Bogdanovic, but Darren Collison is the glue that holds this team together. 3yr, $55 million.

Bojan is legit, not sure about a multi year contract but I would definitely give him big money on a short term contract..

Quote Originally Posted by TheDish87 View Post
    why would the suns overpay Vuc when they have Ayton?
    They are desperate to improve and end the playoff drought. Unless they get Zion or Morant I expect them to be aggressive in free agency for a big or PG.

There are no real PGs in the current market so the next logical guess is a stretch big.

Milwaukee free agents. With Giannis free agency coming up they can't afford to look like they're penny pinching when Giannis is trying to win. They can't let their own free agents leave without equally talented replacements. They about to become LBJs Cavs. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Just the price to pay to keep a superstar happy.

Kemba Walker. He's all Charlotte gots to sell to the fans. They're not gonna bring in a replacement ticket seller so they can't let their only one leave. I think him getting a 5th year keeps him in Charlotte.

Both Collison & Bojan are gonna get more from Indy that I think they can get from somewhere else.

Vucevic will definitely get more years then he deserves.

Tobias Harris will get overpaid in Philly. They can't give up what they did for a half year rental. They put themselves in this somewhat hostage situation for giving up what they did. Again not saying it's a bad thing as long as they're willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    They are desperate to improve and end the playoff drought. Unless they get Zion or Morant I expect them to be aggressive in free agency for a big or PG.

There are no real PGs in the current market so the next logical guess is a stretch big.
    He isnít a stretch big and he doesnít fit with their young core.

They can probably overpay Rozier. Enough for Ainge to not match. Brogdon is a possibility. A player I think would instantly turn that franchise around is Irving. Would Irving be interested though? He would literally look like a savior if he just get them into the playoffs.

Middleton. I'd rather take our chances on KD/Kawhi/Jimmy/Kyrie

WOJ, ANNOUNCE LEBRON TO THE BUCKS! It's PAST DEC 15 FOR CHRIST SAKE!

Like Donny Trump is doing for America after a brutal 8 years, I am making PSD Great Again One Post at a time, doe!!

One Big A-- (8 year) Mistake America. Coincidence? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by McAllen Tx View Post
    Both Collison & Bojan are gonna get more from Indy that I think they can get from somewhere else.

The opposite is probably true, but you'd have to follow the team closely to realize it.

The Pacers are a team that genuinely likes playing together. Not just the usual "guys hang out in the offseason, do team dinners, etc." This is a team that went to management and asked them not to trade anyone. This is a team that lost it's star player and hasn't slipped one spot in the rankings. This is a team that Tyreke Evans called "the most professional organization he's even been on" when they suspended him for being late to practice.

The Pacers are in a rare position to say "we'd love to keep the team together, but everyone will have to take less than market" and it might actually happen. Myles Turner is the league leading shot blocker anchoring the #2 defense, and he took $18m/yr with no raises. The core free agents, Collison, Bojan, and Cory Joseph, and Thad Young I'd be willing to bet money at least 3 take discounts to stay.

i really dont see how Vuc and Ayton fit. Plenty of cheaper more traditional stretch 4s they can add. finding a PG is their top priority im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    The opposite is probably true, but you'd have to follow the team closely to realize it.

The Pacers are a team that genuinely likes playing together. Not just the usual "guys hang out in the offseason, do team dinners, etc." This is a team that went to management and asked them not to trade anyone. This is a team that lost it's star player and hasn't slipped one spot in the rankings. This is a team that Tyreke Evans called "the most professional organization he's even been on" when they suspended him for being late to practice.

The Pacers are in a rare position to say "we'd love to keep the team together, but everyone will have to take less than market" and it might actually happen. Myles Turner is the league leading shot blocker anchoring the #2 defense, and he took $18m/yr with no raises. The core free agents, Collison, Bojan, and Cory Joseph, and Thad Young I'd be willing to bet money at least 3 take discounts to stay.
    no way all these dues are taking discounts after they get bounced in the first round

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post

I think the "team 1st" cry sounds good when there's no actual offers on the table. You say at least 3 of 4 take discounts to stay but what do you mean by discounts. Are you saying they will have actual offers for more money on the table from other teams but they will turn it down to make less to stay in Indy? I don't see that happening. And when I say they will make more in Indy is cause I don't believe Indy would let them leave without beating other offers.

Just an example on both Collison & Bojan, I'm a Lakers fan and the Lakers could really use both of them. Let's say the Lakers were to offer Collison a 2 year $25 million deal and Bojan a 3 year $45 million deal, I'm sure Indy would add another year to each of them deals. Another year that other teams most likely wouldn't offer. That's what I mean they will make more in Indy then they will from other teams.

And as for Turner, Indy signed him a whole year early before they had to. IMO they offered him a slight overpay ATM of guaranteed money banking on his development. It really has paid off for them to date. Would Turner accept the same this summer if he had other offers to entertain? Most likely not. Would Indy have regretted to the signing if he would've gotten seriously hurt this season and had an injury ridden career? Of course. It was a gamble from both sides and right now Indy is clearly winning.

A guy who is going to get max money or damn close-Middleton

Guy going to take up serious salary, for only playing 25 min regularly...Jonas Valanciunas

Guy going to get paid based off potential and age.....Willie Caulie Stein

Quote Originally Posted by GREATNESS ONE View Post
    Bojan is legit, not sure about a multi year contract but I would definitely give him big money on a short term contract..
    He's 29 (30 next month). It's only downhill from here. Paired with the fact he's bounced around and never got a huge deal he's not taking big money on a short term.

My guess is 4 yr $80M. And by year 2 of that contract he's back to a 14PPG bad defense player.
    Last edited by beasted86; 03-15-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast