Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MLB doing away with waiver trades, one deadline for 2019

While I understand the intent, there is still an entire month of the season where injuries can happen and a list of other things. If the league is intent on doing this, perhaps meet in the middle and make August 16th the trade deadline instead of July 31st?

Each year, Major League Baseball confuses legions of casual fans when it comes to trades. There's a "trade deadline" on July 31 that's technically called a non-waiver trade deadline and then trades can still happen in August. A fixture here these past few years has been my primer on how trades in August can happen, notably when I called Justin Verlander possibly getting dealt in 2017.

All of this appears to be going away, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

The switch to a single non-waiver deadline on July 31, which according to sources will be among the rules changes Major League Baseball and the players' union adopt this season, will eliminate the indecipherable trade waivers in August, baseball's version of the U.S. tax code.

The idea, first proposed by the union, is to protect the competitive integrity of the 162-game regular season, create more certainty for players and force teams to decide earlier whether they are buyers or sellers.

Read More: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...n-2019-season/

I don't get it unless they eventually move the July 31st deadline back. There are teams still in it at the end of July that aren't at the end of August. Why limit their ability to trade off major league talent for minor league pieces? Why limit player movement and take away headlines from the sport? The competitive integrity was just fine with waiver trades.

Some things just seem like change for the sake of change.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-14-2019 at 03:23 AM.

Like the two of you have said, unless they're pushing back the non-waiver trade deadline, I'm not a fan of this.

While trades don't occur as often as they do prior to August 1st, it still makes it interesting and piques interest when a big name gets thrown around in trade discussion in the middle of August.

Tough @&$) if your team was once in it and by August they are not. You should not have a higher chance to win the WS simply because your team picked up someone for a month at the end of the season.

I think itís strange that the deadline is the same as with trades. The trade deadline should be moved, say somewhere between 7/15-7/20.

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Tough @&$) if your team was once in it and by August they are not. You should not have a higher chance to win the WS simply because your team picked up someone for a month at the end of the season.

I think itís strange that the deadline is the same as with trades. The trade deadline should be moved, say somewhere between 7/15-7/20.
    Not like the 2008 phillies benefited at all from this... oh wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Not like the 2008 phillies benefited at all from this... oh wait.

Just because they may have, why does it have to mean Iím okay with it?

Itís obvious that Dykstra and others did steroids back in Ď93. As much as I loved that team, it tarnishes it for me.

Not that I donít believe you, I seriously donít remember who you may be talking about. Who was it in Ď08?

MLB just can't help themselves. They just want to change things so they can say they made changes.

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Just because they may have, why does it have to mean Iím okay with it?

Itís obvious that Dykstra and others did steroids back in Ď93. As much as I loved that team, it tarnishes it for me.

Not that I donít believe you, I seriously donít remember who you may be talking about. Who was it in Ď08?
    Matt Stairs.

I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    MLB just can't help themselves. They just want to change things so they can say they made changes.
    MLBPA is also on board with the changes. It seems both sides (owners and players) prefer the changes. I'll go with what the players believe makes the game better for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    MLBPA is also on board with the changes. It seems both sides (owners and players) prefer the changes. I'll go with what the players believe makes the game better for them.
    Yea from the article it sounds like the players are the ones who preferred this. I'm not entirely sure why, as I can't imagine there's too many vets upset by getting traded from a garbage team that's probably going to play minor leaguers the rest of the year to a team in contention. And most those trades were guys with expiring contracts. Seems like a bit of an odd thing to push for the players but they apparently wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Matt Stairs.

Ah. Definitely a key contributor.

One of the few changes I can get behind, but I'd move the deadline to Aug. 15 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't get it unless they eventually move the July 31st deadline back. There are teams still in it at the end of July that aren't at the end of August. Why limit their ability to trade off major league talent for minor league pieces? Why limit player movement and take away headlines from the sport? The competitive integrity was just fine with waiver trades.

Some things just seem like change for the sake of change.
    It forces teams who are somewhere in the middle to go for it sooner rather than taking a wait and see approach. The waiver deadline was stupid, good players could never be moved because of the constant blocks put on by rivals...it was petty. It was also stupid how a player like Josh Donaldson could go to the Indians on waivers but couldnít go to say the Brewers because theyíre in an entirely different league.

Waivers were convoluted for no reason. Personally I like this because now like I said before, more teams will be inclined to make moves in July rather than taking the wait and see approach, plus teams donít have to deal with the petty nature of a team like the Orioles blocking the Yankees from getting a good player just for the sake of being petty.

Giving crappy teams priority on the waiver wire was something I never understood.

The other change is the 3 batter minimum. Donít know if thatís been acknowledged, yet.

I ****ing love that rule. My least favorite part of watching baseball is the mound visits, the constant pitching changes and pick off attempts. Anything to trim down the time from those three things makes the game much better IMO.

Screw the LOOGY. Nobody should be getting paid 4MM for getting one out every other day. At least now, bullpens will be built a little differently and lefties who can get multiple sides out will be even more valuable.

The Jerry Blevinsí of the world will suffer but whatever. Iíve been wanting to abolish the loogy for quite a white, Iím glad itís finally happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    One of the few changes I can get behind, but I'd move the deadline to Aug. 15 or so.
    This is about the only way Iíd be ok with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast