Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Mock Off-season: What would you do if you were GM?

Version 1.0

FREE AGENCY:
    Re-Sign: Adrian Peterson
    Re-Sign: Clinton Haha Dix
    Sign: DONTE MONCRIEF
    Sign: Cheap Vetern Pass Rusher Junior Galette?
    Release: Stacy Magee
    Release: Z Brown

TRADE:
    -JOSH ROSEN for 3rd round compensatory pick
    -Daron Lee for Jordan Reed (Jets have no tight ends and they are most likely looking to move Lee after trading for CJ Mosely)

DRAFT:
    Rd.1, Pk.15 - Best Pass Rusher OLB Available - J.ALLEN, SWEAT, R GARY, C FERRELL, POLITE
    Rd.2, Pk.14 - Noah Fant TE
    Rd.3, Pk.12 - BEST G/C Avail. - LINDSTROM, MCCOY, JORDAN, DEITER
    5th round - Andy Isabella WR/KR
    5th round (compensatory pick) - David Long DB/SLOT
    6th round (compensatory pick) - Daniel Wise NT/DT
    7th round -Jazz Ferguson, Jalen Hurd WR
    7th round - Sean Krepsz, C/G

DEPTH CHART:
    OFFENSE
    LWR: DONTE MONCRIEF, JOSH DOCTSON, Cam Sims,
    RWR: PAUL RICHARDSON, Maurice Harris, Jazz Ferguson
    SWR: TREY QUINN, Robert Davis, Andy Isabella
    LT: TRENT WILLIAMS, Geron Christian
    LG: LINDSTROM, Sean Krepsz, Darius James
    C: CHASE ROULLIER, Casey Dunn
    RG: BRANDON SCHERFF, Tyler Catalina
    RT: MORGAN MOSES, Geron Christian, Tyler Catalina
    TE: NOAH FANT, VERNON DAVIS, Jeremy Sprinkle, Matt Flanagan, JP Holtz
    QB CASE KEENUM, Josh Rosen Colt McCoy, Alex Smith
    RB: ADRIAN PETERSON, Derrius Guice, Samaje Perine, Rob Kelly
    RB2: DERRIUS GUICE, Chris Thompson, Byron Marshall
    FB: ELIJAH WELLMAN

DEFENSE
    DE JONATHAN ALLEN, Daniel Wise, JoJo Wicker
    NT DARON PAYNE, Tim Settle
    DE MATT IOANNIDIS, Caleb Brantley
    SLB FERRELL, Galette, Ryan Anderson
    MLB DARON LEE, Mason Foster
    MLB REUBEN FOSTER, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Josh Harvey-Clemons
    WLB RYAN KERRIGAN, Galette, Cassanova McKinzy
    LCB FABIAN MOREAU, Harlan Miller, Alex Carter, Danny Johnson
    SS: Ha Ha CLINTON-DIX, Montae Nicholson
    FS: LANDON COLLINS, Deshazor Everett, Troy Apke
    RCB: JOSH NORMAN, Quinton Dunbar, Adonis Alexander, Greg Stroman
    SCB: GREG STROMAN, David Long

SPECIAL TEAMS
    P: Tress Way
    K: Dustin Hopkins
    KR/PR: ANDY ISABELLA, Greg Stroman

BREAKDOWN:
    This gives us a young, fast defense with an incredibly high ceiling. Rueben and Lee could be a dangerous combination for years and if not they could be a short term stop gap. I figured we'd keep Mason Foster on the roster to keep a vet with this young ILB talent. Our DL has been pretty strong but we can add some big bodies in the draft. By using our top pick on a pass rusher and picking up a veteran pass rusher, we can get some rotational guys accross from Kerrigan. I would love to move Norman's contract, but I don't see the opportunity to replace him and I don't see competing with Moreau, Dunbar, Adonis, or Stroman holding two starting spots. Now that we sured up the safety spots we can allow our young cbs to battle for the spot across from an overpaid, but still solid Josh Norman. On offense we'd have depth at the spot that seemed weakest (QB) at the end of the regular season. Rosen, Colt and Case could battle for the starting position and at worst case we a trade one during the season. The Rosen trade gives us a top 10 talent to start right away or groom for a year or two behind Case/ Smith and all for a mid-rounder and cap relief by moving the oft injured Jordan Reed. I'm not thrilled with our talent on offense, but I didn't want to be unrealistic. I think we'd have a nice running game with Guice and AP. Still have Thompson as a big play guy out of the backfield. Although the WR core doesn't look impressive I think as a group we'd have people who could cause problems for defenses if schemed correctly. MONCRIEF has size and speed. Richardson can make plays. Quinn showed talent in the slot in one game last season and hopefully Doctson can get it together. Guys like Sims, Harris, or by drafting a big bodied guy like Hurd or Jazz we could have some red zone threats. Finally Isabella is lightning fast and could hopefully produce after the catch, if not then as a returner. I think this is a realistic offseason where we don't break the bank and fill in holes (some better than others) throughout the roster.
    Last edited by NJrockPD; 03-13-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Most likely Burns would be the edge rusher that fell to us. Farrell not a fit for us and won't fall to us. I would prefer we draft a wr. Our offense is going to suck massively.

Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    Most likely Burns would be the edge rusher that fell to us. Farrell not a fit for us and won't fall to us. I would prefer we draft a wr. Our offense is going to suck massively.
    Well that's why I was thinking we should double dip in the draft on interior linemen after the AP signing. Hopefully with Trent, Scherff, Moses, Rollier, and a solid run blocking rookie we will be able to lean on the running game behind AP, Guice and Thompson. Ideally that would open up the passing game and with a FA signing like Moncrief plus a pass catching TE like Fant, along with what we have maybe we can move the ball. I don't think the passing offense will be a strength, but if we can get enough out of them to compliment the running game and a decent d we could be a playoff team with youth to build on.

Not sure if I would bring back Clinton-Dix, and didn't Galette spend the whole year out of football? After the draft, there should be some June-1st cuts that are made amongst pass-rushers, and a few of them will warrant one year "prove it deals."

The Reed for Lee trade is interesting. At first glance, I didn't like it, but the more I think about it, the better it sounds.

As for the draft, I really think we need a receiver, and I'm not picky about the type of receiver. Whoever we take needs to be polished and ready to contribute, and there are some good guys like that in this draft. I like guard in the second or third round, we will likely target someone who excels at pulling and getting out in the open. The Redskins kept going back to Lauvao because of his athleticism and ability as a lead blocker, so we absolutely need that skillset in who we draft since we already have the hammer in Scherff.

Other than that, I think that it's a reasonable off-season moving forward. Thanks for the time you put into posting this.

Draft 8 WRS and hope 1 turns into a stud.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2017 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Thanks. According to PFF Ha Ha Clinton-Dix allowed just 0.28 yards per snap he spent in coverage last season. I know he didn't light the world on fire, but he was traded mid season after spending his entire career in the same system. Let's see how this talented 26 year old looks when he is comfortable in our defense. In the scenario above our most pressing needs to address in the draft are OLB, WR, OG, & TE. I figured by going with TE and OLB in the first two rounds we can get solid prospects who could see playing time immediately. Then we can double dip on WRs and OGs and hopefully we can hit on some mid/late round picks. If better prospects at positions of need fall to us, for example Cody Ford, OT/G or D.K. Metcalf, WR and we're sold on them as day 1 starters, I am all for it.
    If that is the case I would hope they would use the same strategy and double dip to get some competition at the positions they can't solidify in the first two rounds. Finally, I saw you mentioned getting a true fullback in another thread and I agree. If we're going to lean on the running game I think that's a good idea. Maybe use a late round pick on a guy like Trevon Wesco?

Version 2.0

FREE AGENCY:
    Signed: Adrian Peterson
    Signed: DRC
    Signed: Erick Flowers
    Sign: Tre Boston
    Sign: DONTE MONCRIEF
    Sign: Cheap Veteran Pass Rusher Junior Galette?

TRADE:
    -JOSH ROSEN for 3rd round compensatory pick, 4th rounder in 2020
    -Daron Lee for Jordan Reed (Jets have no tight ends and they are most likely looking to move Lee after trading for CJ Mosely)

DRAFT: (Picks based on what was available on WalterFootball Mock draft as of 4/2)
    Rd.1, Pk.15 - Brian Burns - OLB
    Rd.2, Pk.14 - Irv Smith Jr - TE
    Rd.3, Pk.12 - Connor McGovern, G/C
    5th round - Terry Godwin WR/KR
    5th round (compensatory pick) - David Long DB/SLOT
    6th round (compensatory pick) - Daniel Wise DE/DT
    7th round - Travis Fulgham WR
    7th round - Sean Krepsz, C/G

DEPTH CHART:
    OFFENSE
    LWR: DONTE MONCRIEF, JOSH DOCTSON, Cam Sims,
    RWR: PAUL RICHARDSON, Maurice Harris, Travis Fulgham
    SWR: TREY QUINN, Robert Davis, Terry Godwin
    LT: TRENT WILLIAMS, Geron Christian
    LG: ERICK FLOWERS, Connor McGovern, Sean Krepsz
    C: CHASE ROULLIER, Connor McGovern, Casey Dunn
    RG: BRANDON SCHERFF, Tyler Catalina
    RT: MORGAN MOSES, Geron Christian, Tyler Catalina
    TE: Irv Smith Jr, VERNON DAVIS, Jeremy Sprinkle, Matt Flanagan, JP Holtz
    QB CASE KEENUM, Josh Rosen Colt McCoy, Alex Smith
    RB: ADRIAN PETERSON, Derrius Guice, Samaje Perine, Rob Kelly
    RB2: DERRIUS GUICE, Chris Thompson, Byron Marshall
    FB: ELIJAH WELLMAN

DEFENSE
    DE JONATHAN ALLEN, Daniel Wise, JoJo Wicker
    NT DARON PAYNE, Tim Settle
    DE MATT IOANNIDIS, Caleb Brantley
    SLB BURNS, Ryan Anderson
    MLB DARON LEE, Mason Foster
    MLB REUBEN FOSTER, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Josh Harvey-Clemons
    WLB RYAN KERRIGAN, Galette, Cassanova McKinzy
    LCB DRC, FABIAN MOREAU, Harlan Miller, Alex Carter, Danny Johnson
    SS: TRE BOSTON, Montae Nicholson
    FS: LANDON COLLINS, Deshazor Everett, Troy Apke
    RCB: JOSH NORMAN, Quinton Dunbar, Adonis Alexander, Greg Stroman
    SCB: GREG STROMAN, David Long

SPECIAL TEAMS
    P: Tress Way
    K: Dustin Hopkins
    KR/PR: Terry Godwin, Greg Stroman

Mock Off-season: What would you do if you were GM?

Hang myself.....