Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    109,658

    Steven A at it again

    Enter the race card per usual.

    https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/03/11...ith-some-fans/

    Stephen A. Smith of ESPN:

    And then there’s the element of Boston, Massachusetts. They don’t just want a star. Of course, they’ll take any star that they can get, because their priority is winning. But everybody and their mother knows that particularly when it comes to Boston, if we can have a white superstar, that would be even better. And they view Gordon Hayward as having that kind of potential.

    So, all of those things considered, the players recognize this, were aware of this. And ultimately those who were compromised by having to be on a court with Gordon Hayward were sensitive to it.

    Not because they don’t like him. Not because he’s not a good guy, because he is a good guy. It’s just that they know he hasn’t fully recovered 100 percent from his injury. So, he’s not the same as he used to be. They know he’s going to be a step slower. They know he’s going to be compromised. I have spoken to people in the league who literally have said, “Look man, no disrespect to Gordon Hayward, nice guy, but he’s really, really compromised right now. He’s not the same guy that he was.” And they said, “We actually kind of feel sorry for him, because he is a nice guy, and we know he’s trying to come back from injury.”

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West Covina CA
    Posts
    18,951
    Boston certainly has that reputation. Have no idea if it's true or if it's different for them than most other towns. A white star in a sport like basketball is kind of a big deal so there is that factor as well.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    Boston certainly has that reputation. Have no idea if it's true or if it's different for them than most other towns. A white star in a sport like basketball is kind of a big deal so there is that factor as well.
    Lmao, I was gonna say the same. Not sure if it's true either, but Boston definitely got this kinda feeling to it, I don't know why

    Majority of America is white, so I'd expect that a lot of teams fan would want a white star. I don't see anything wrong with it, long as you're not actively tryina sabotage someone's career or something I don't think there's anything wrong with that. People identify with other people of similar race or religion, it's natural
    Last edited by nastynice; 03-12-2019 at 04:14 AM.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,006
    White star probably seems like a big deal because their are not many white stars. These fans would trade gordon hayward for anthony davis without hesitation. So is there really a race component here or is there something to be said about him just being a nice guy who went through a really bad injury and people feel bad for him.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,074
    "Steven A at it again" as a thread title ... we could probably just sticky it. He's always saying something stupid.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    262
    I always thought of Dallas as a place that prefers white superstars.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    79,473
    Boston has a rep, earned or not. They did aggressively pursue Bill Russell in 1956, but that doesn't mean the city itself doesn't, or didn't have a preference.

    Hayward's injury is really clouding things up. He was a really good player when he signed. He was one of the most coveted free agents that summer, so race has nothing to do with it imo. It's just been obviously frustrating that he got hurt, and hasn't returned to form yet, if he ever will.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    28,900
    Obviously it's a tough injury to come back from, but Stephen A is acting like they're trying to bring back a cripple simply because he's white. This dude was a legitimate WC All Star who was leading a very tough Utah squad to 51 wins and the 2nd round before signing. He has also been shooting the lights out for months while accepting his bench role during his recovery. Not to mention obliterated Golden State and had a game winner versus Sac in the past week. He is clearly helping them at this point, and will only get stronger as he recovers. Dude is still relatively young.

    Dumb, racist people will say dumb, racist ****.
    Last edited by tredigs; 03-12-2019 at 11:54 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    79,473
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Obviously it's a tough injury to come back from, but Stepehen A is acting like they're trying to bring back a cripple simply because he's white. This dude was a legitimate WC All Star who was leading a very tough Utah squad to 51 wins and the 2nd round before signing. He has also been shooting the lights out for months while accepting his bench role during his recovery. Not to mention obliterated Golden State and had a game winner versus Sac in the past week.

    Dumb, racist people will say dumb, racist ****.
    well, like Sharpton or Jackson, Stephen A exists because he makes something out of nothing.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Coventry RI
    Posts
    4,259
    Stephen A is the racist here

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    One More Time

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    303
    I was once pulled over by a white cop and harassed.

    If I were black I'd think it was racism

    People like SAS are just setting back their community decades. The vast vast majority of white American's aren't racist and we're the most tolerant and racially diverse country on the planet

    Give it a rest SAS

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,012
    Stephen A pulls race cards out of nothing. I don’t think any team cares what color their superstar is, if you are winning the fan base will treat you amazing. Melo vs Jokic. Only difference is Jokics nationality brings a larger interest from the world.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    15,437
    Quote Originally Posted by PropheticGeius View Post
    I was once pulled over by a white cop and harassed.

    If I were black I'd think it was racism

    People like SAS are just setting back their community decades. The vast vast majority of white American's aren't racist and we're the most tolerant and racially diverse country on the planet

    Give it a rest SAS
    Except he's speaking about specifically Boston, not the country, so I'm really unsure why you're creating this strawman.

    On topic, I've soured on Stephen A over the last couple years, but you're being intellectually dishonest if you think there's no merit to anything he's saying here. This is a reputation Boston has earned over the years. I understand why folks don't wanna hear it though, especially from him.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    79,473
    Quote Originally Posted by SteBO View Post
    Except he's speaking about specifically Boston, not the country, so I'm really unsure why you're creating this strawman.

    On topic, I've soured on Stephen A over the last couple years, but you're being intellectually dishonest if you think there's no merit to anything he's saying here. This is a reputation Boston has earned over the years. I understand why folks don't wanna hear it though, especially from him.
    Yeah, I posted that up top, it is a real thing (the rep). But Stephen A is likely building something out of nothing. The reason you stick with Hayward is he was a star player, and you paid him a ton, and you want him to get better, which he likely will.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by SteBO View Post
    Except he's speaking about specifically Boston, not the country, so I'm really unsure why you're creating this strawman.

    On topic, I've soured on Stephen A over the last couple years, but you're being intellectually dishonest if you think there's no merit to anything he's saying here. This is a reputation Boston has earned over the years. I understand why folks don't wanna hear it though, especially from him.
    Do you listen to SAS regularly?

    Absolutely every opinion he has is seen through this lens of racism towards blacks. Like there is this white mafia running every part of society and their primary objective is to hold down minorities. In response, he must use his platform as a sports commentator to inject racist undertones into every single story that he can in order to fight this unjust mafia that's holding back his race.

    This Boston take is just another example of it.

    There is no racism going on here. Gordon Hayward was one of the better players in the NBA with the Jazz and the Celtics signed him with that type of production in mind. They also traded for Kyrie Irving (who happens to be black) Signed many other black players, drafted black players, and continue to pay black players to be basketball players.

    If Gordon Hayward were black - SAS would have NOTHING to say at all about this situation. It's just another chance for him to divide the country the further and stoke the fires of this non existant racist mafia that's hurting blacks.

    It's similar to Jussie Smollett manufacturing a racist attack in order to further an agenda. SAS does this on a smaller scale every single day

    Gordon Hayward is a good basketball player on an underperforming team. Race should not even be mentioned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •