Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    If his cap is 6 mill this yr, it means we are paying 39 mill next 2 yrs, as he is getting 45 mill over first 3 yrs. Agreed to Tomaz....almost 4 times the price as our previous as good or better safety. Let's not forget we are paying a dead cap hit for Swearinger too
    Even if it's $4 million this season, then that means we are paying him exponentially more in years 2 and 3, years where we will still be paying Alex Smith's contract without the player being on the field. It doesn't make any sense.

I know PFF isn't the be all, end all, but in 2016, Swearinger was graded the better safety by 2 points. In 2017, Collins was 9 points better. In 2018, Swearinger was the same 9 points higher. So we essentially paid more to tread water at the position. And I would've much rather had the Honey Badger, who as a complete safety, got paid LESS than a box safety. Eric Schaeffer did his job here, but the front office really screwed the evaluation here.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Even if it's $4 million this season, then that means we are paying him exponentially more in years 2 and 3, years where we will still be paying Alex Smith's contract without the player being on the field. It doesn't make any sense.

I know PFF isn't the be all, end all, but in 2016, Swearinger was graded the better safety by 2 points. In 2017, Collins was 9 points better. In 2018, Swearinger was the same 9 points higher. So we essentially paid more to tread water at the position. And I would've much rather had the Honey Badger, who as a complete safety, got paid LESS than a box safety. Eric Schaeffer did his job here, but the front office really screwed the evaluation here.
    LMFAO! The SKINS could of signed Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Lawerence Taylor or Tom Brady in their prime and you would still ***** and cry. Im done, your wasting our time. CHUGGA CHUGGA TOOT TOOT, ALL ABOARD....the DJ Swearinger Cardinals Bandwagon Train is leaving the station and hopefully they just picked up 1 more passenger! SKINS, Hail!

I understand this time in infuriating to watch, but instead of talking about a guy who was cut last season why not think about what we're doing. We're in a division with Saquan and Zeke. We're in a divison with solid TEs like Engram, Ertz, Witten, & Goedert. Signing two solid safties will help in the running game and help neutralize these TE's. In addition now we don't have to play Collins. It weakens a division rival and gives us a little intel in the process. I definitely don't hate the move.

Quote Originally Posted by NJrockPD View Post
    I understand this time in infuriating to watch, but instead of talking about a guy who was cut last season why not think about what we're doing. We're in a division with Saquan and Zeke. We're in a divison with solid TEs like Engram, Ertz, Witten, & Goedert. Signing two solid safties will help in the running game and help neutralize these TE's. In addition now we don't have to play Collins. It weakens a division rival and gives us a little intel in the process. I definitely don't hate the move.
    Given how Eagles fans are happy he is staying in our division due to Ertz and Goedart abusing Collins, and one of our biggest offensive outputs from AP came against the Giants (almost 6 YPC!), and how Collins struggles in coverage, yeah, we drastically overpaid. Especially when a much more well-rounded safety got paid $1 million less per year. Our front office completely botched this evaluation, and why, I don't know. Probably some obsession with the Crimson Tide.

And if you think I'm off-base and really just being negative about the team, check what other sites have rated this deal:

ProFootball Focus: "above average" meaning C+/B- range

ESPN: C+

CBS Sports: C+

And they rated it as such highlighting the same negatives that I've highlighted (overpaid on the contract, largely a box safety) though the articles do point out he can be an asset in coverages against tight ends, which I don't see in the games and film where I've watched him. I see a lot of LaRon Landry and Adam Archuleta in Collins, and as we all know, that type of player does not age well.

I'd love to give the team props if they made a good move. However, the moves they've made the past two off-seasons I've largely disagreed with because I think we are treading water instead of moving in a positive direction to sustain a winning franchise. Hell, the one move I supported was one that Bruce Allen chastised Doug Williams for making behind his back, which was signing Peterson when Guice went down. Winning the division once every four years and going out in the first round of the playoffs isn't sustained winning.

And if you think I'm off-base and really just being negative about the team, check what other sites have rated this deal:

ProFootball Focus: "above average" meaning C+/B- range

ESPN: C+

CBS Sports: C+

And they rated it as such highlighting the same negatives that I've highlighted (overpaid on the contract, largely a box safety) though the articles do point out he can be an asset in coverages against tight ends, which I don't see in the games and film where I've watched him. I see a lot of LaRon Landry and Adam Archuleta in Collins, and as we all know, that type of player does not age well.

I'd love to give the team props if they made a good move. However, the moves they've made the past two off-seasons I've largely disagreed with because I think we are treading water instead of moving in a positive direction to sustain a winning franchise. Hell, the one move I supported was one that Bruce Allen chastised Doug Williams for making behind his back, which was signing Peterson when Guice went down. Winning the division once every four years and going out in the first round of the playoffs isn't sustained winning.
    Even if you do see a lot of those 2 players, Collins is on a completely different talent level than those guys were. Collins already has just as many All-Pro selections as those 2 guys had Pro-Bowl appearances combined in their entire careers.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2017 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Even if you do see a lot of those 2 players, Collins is on a completely different talent level than those guys were. Collins already has just as many All-Pro selections as those 2 guys had Pro-Bowl appearances combined in their entire careers.
    I'm curious as to how you define talent level.

I'm curious as to how you define talent level.
    by being recognized by peers/coaches/fans/press as one of the best players in the game at their position is a pretty good starting point for me. Then if that's close, then I would move onto different stats/advanced stats, as well as taking other circumstantial things into consideration (coaching staff/type of offense/defense they play in, and the level of talent the player is playing with)

I mean if youre going to dispute that Landon Collins who just turned 25 and has made 3 (straight) pro bowls and is a 1 time all-pro isn't clearly more talented than a guy who made 1 pro-bowl in his career, and another guy who made 0 pro-bowls in his career. I certainly don't think we are going to agree on anything related to the subject. I think the general fanbase of the redskins might over value Landry because he had ties to Sean Taylor, and he was a fan favorite who could crush people. Hell I liked him, I still have one of his jerseys and a signed 8x10 of him hanging in my office, but he really wasn't that good.

Maybe I should just simply say he's just better than either of those 2 guys ever were.
    Last edited by MarkieMark48; 03-14-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2017 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    by being recognized by peers/coaches/fans/press as one of the best players in the game at their position is a pretty good starting point for me. Then if that's close, then I would move onto different stats/advanced stats, as well as taking other circumstantial things into consideration (coaching staff/type of offense/defense they play in, and the level of talent the player is playing with)

I mean if youre going to dispute that Landon Collins who just turned 25 and has made 3 (straight) pro bowls and is a 1 time all-pro isn't clearly more talented than a guy who made 1 pro-bowl in his career, and another guy who made 0 pro-bowls in his career. I certainly don't think we are going to agree on anything related to the subject. I think the general fanbase of the redskins might over value Landry because he had ties to Sean Taylor, and he was a fan favorite who could crush people. Hell I liked him, I still have one of his jerseys and a signed 8x10 of him hanging in my office, but he really wasn't that good.

Maybe I should just simply say he's just better than either of those 2 guys ever were.
    That's a fair assessment. I just don't see Collins aging well, similar to how both Landry and Archuleta did. Box safeties never do because they take so much punishment in the trenches because they are smaller guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cEXuNyBUJA

I remember watching this play live a couple of years ago.

Keenum being the QB now makes it extra special.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12