Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,634

    Track Talk: How to "save" NASCAR?

    I missed the last two weeks, but lets try again this week. There's talk all over the internet about the decline of NASCAR and everybody seems to have an opinion of what to do to "save" NASCAR. What are your ideas? Change the playoff system? Get rid of the playoffs all together? Track changes, add new tracks, take away tracks? have races on a weeknight?
    Fan of Red Sox , Chicago Bears , Boston Celtics , Chase Elliott , UVA, Joshi Puroresu

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    30,269
    Shorten the races and season (as much as I hate to say that). Peoples attention span these days are short so longer seasons and races doesnít bode well for the sport imo.

    Make tires with more fall off and make the fuel tanks smaller. I think that would help eliminate the long green flag runs or at least the long drawn out green flag runs.

    Get rid of some of the mile and a halfers. Need more variety of tracks imo. More short tracks and road courses.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,634
    Yeah, I could see the Roval at Charlotte get a senond race and somewhere like Dover lose its second race.
    Fan of Red Sox , Chicago Bears , Boston Celtics , Chase Elliott , UVA, Joshi Puroresu

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    11,614
    Tell old farts to pick a new driver and not dwell how it was 30 years ago would go a very long ways.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2017 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    43,960
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Tell old farts to pick a new driver and not dwell how it was 30 years ago would go a very long ways.
    But why would anyone expect someone to just pick a new driver? If you become invested in a driver and love them, and then they're gone, why would someone have to do the work and find a new driver to become emotionally invested in?

    If my favorite sports teams went away, I would certainly not have as much interest in the NBA, MLB or NFL.

    All sports are pretty equal. If people don't have an emotional connect to a team or player, they usually don't like that sport. This is why I think it's important to have strong teams with 3-5 race cars. We don't need these one off teams - they're not good for the sport. Drivers need to be interconnected so you fall in love with an entire team or organization as opposed to just one.

    I think that they should look at other sports like Golf and Tennis. What are they doing right? Both are long seasons. Both highlight individual players and not a team full of players. Thinking outside the box, what if they got rid of the current point structure in general. What if they went to a ranking system like tennis? Meanwhile, creating a group of four "majors" throughout the year. With other tournaments and races in between. The key is to generate interest. Maybe by highlighting the top races more (besides Daytona) and giving fans a reason to tune in to those races will put more eyes on the sport.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    11,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    But why would anyone expect someone to just pick a new driver? If you become invested in a driver and love them, and then they're gone, why would someone have to do the work and find a new driver to become emotionally invested in?

    If my favorite sports teams went away, I would certainly not have as much interest in the NBA, MLB or NFL.

    All sports are pretty equal. If people don't have an emotional connect to a team or player, they usually don't like that sport. This is why I think it's important to have strong teams with 3-5 race cars. We don't need these one off teams - they're not good for the sport. Drivers need to be interconnected so you fall in love with an entire team or organization as opposed to just one.

    I think that they should look at other sports like Golf and Tennis. What are they doing right? Both are long seasons. Both highlight individual players and not a team full of players. Thinking outside the box, what if they got rid of the current point structure in general. What if they went to a ranking system like tennis? Meanwhile, creating a group of four "majors" throughout the year. With other tournaments and races in between. The key is to generate interest. Maybe by highlighting the top races more (besides Daytona) and giving fans a reason to tune in to those races will put more eyes on the sport.
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic towards my statement or not. A team in the stick and ball(or puck) sports doesn't just go away... the only real comparison is if a team moves. I think the majority of people like a driver because of who they are/the way they race/their attitude. ect. not because of what team they drive for. With the amount of driver movement that takes place, I honestly don't see how that's possible. I know a guy that was a Bobby Labonte fan, and still hates JGR because of the way he was basically kicked out of his ride for JJ Yeley.
    Last edited by MarkieMark48; 03-13-2019 at 08:13 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    30,269
    How can you say you like/love the sport but then stop watching it just cause a driver retires? Lol. When Dale sr died I didnít really have a favorite driver for a few years but I still watched and eventually found the next guy to root for.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    11,614
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    How can you say you like/love the sport but then stop watching it just cause a driver retires? Lol. When Dale sr died I didnít really have a favorite driver for a few years but I still watched and eventually found the next guy to root for.
    Exactly, that would mean youre a fan of the driver, not the sport.... that's like me saying I love basketball, but I'll stop watching when Lebron retires (Lebron has really pissed me off this year, but that's besides the point). I don't have a basketball team, I like players. When Lebron retires, Ill pick another player to root for and keep watching because I love basketball.

    "I was a huge nascar fan, but Dale Jr. retired so I stop watching"
    Last edited by MarkieMark48; 03-13-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2017 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    37,428
    I think a round table talk show called "track talk" would do it
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    43,960
    I would say that almost all sports fan love their team first and the sport second. Whether they realize it or not. You have to have a reason to like a sport and to first get into it. Usually it is an emotional connection to a local team or a team that someone else in your family likes.

    When LeBron left Cleveland, how many fans left the Cavs, too? If you're favorite sports team isn't competitive, are you going to watch more games? How many Browns fans turned into Ravens fans when the organization left and completely changed their identity?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic towards my statement or not. A team in the stick and ball(or puck) sports doesn't just go away... the only real comparison is if a team moves. I think the majority of people like a driver because of who they are/the way they race/their attitude. ect. not because of what team they drive for. With the amount of driver movement that takes place, I honestly don't see how that's possible. I know a guy that was a Bobby Labonte fan, and still hates JGR because of the way he was basically kicked out of his ride for JJ Yeley.
    Not being sarcastic at all. You are right, there isn't a comparison. That is why there is an issue. Many fans will clearly leave the sport if their favorite driver leaves. Whether that's right or wrong is irrelevant, it's just the way it is and NASCAR has to find a way to deal with it.

    You have draws in sports. Tennis will surely get less viewership when Federer retires. Tiger Woods draws massive numbers, even though he's not the old Tiger anymore. When LeBron is in the Finals, ratings are strong. Hell, look at what happened when Jordan left the NBA. Teams like the Warriors, Lakers, Yankees, etc. they all spike ratings. Why would NASCAR be exempt from the same thing? If you lose guys like Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt, and don't really replace them, you're going to lose viewership.

    Outside of the drivers, what spikes the ratings for NASCAR? Serious question. I'm not debating the quality of the sport, I'm debating what is marketable.
    Last edited by Driven; 03-15-2019 at 03:22 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    11,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    I would say that almost all sports fan love their team first and the sport second. Whether they realize it or not. You have to have a reason to like a sport and to first get into it. Usually it is an emotional connection to a local team or a team that someone else in your family likes.

    When LeBron left Cleveland, how many fans left the Cavs, too? If you're favorite sports team isn't competitive, are you going to watch more games? How many Browns fans turned into Ravens fans when the organization left and completely changed their identity?



    Not being sarcastic at all. You are right, there isn't a comparison. That is why there is an issue. Many fans will clearly leave the sport if their favorite driver leaves. Whether that's right or wrong is irrelevant, it's just the way it is and NASCAR has to find a way to deal with it.

    You have draws in sports. Tennis will surely get less viewership when Federer retires. Tiger Woods draws massive numbers, even though he's not the old Tiger anymore. When LeBron is in the Finals, ratings are strong. Hell, look at what happened when Jordan left the NBA. Teams like the Warriors, Lakers, Yankees, etc. they all spike ratings. Why would NASCAR be exempt from the same thing? If you lose guys like Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt, and don't really replace them, you're going to lose viewership.

    Outside of the drivers, what spikes the ratings for NASCAR? Serious question. I'm not debating the quality of the sport, I'm debating what is marketable.
    People that love golf will find another reason to watch after tiger retires. People that love tennis will find a reason to watch after Federer retires. People that quit watching nascar because their driver retires don't love the sport, they just love the driver.

    I get what you're saying, because nascar is a team sport, but it's not really a team sport. You're trying to group nascar teams with stick and ball sports teams that have majority of fan bases around their geographical location... that's not the same. If Hendrick relocates their shop from Charlotte to Daytona, how many fans do you think Jimmie Johnson will lose? It's not the same as a sports franchise relocating to a different city.

    Jeff Gordon has been replaced... Dale Jr. Has been replaced, they all get replaced... if those fans don't make an attempt to find another driver to pull for, that's on that person, not anyone else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •