Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Signing Antonio Brown and Rosen Should Be Priority #1!

Before ya'll say that this is a desperate move, let's not forget this team is in a desperate situation. They have the worst and least talented WR situation in the NFC East. The Alex Smith injury has left QB position in limbo. There is no way you can start Colt Mccoy (or Keenum) along with Docston and Paul Richardson and not expect the stadium to be more empty than even last year and for Gruden and Allen to get canned (which would actually be a blessing).

Snyder knows he has to sell some tickets and Gruden and Allen know their jobs depend on next season.

Rosen is a young first round pick that would give the franchise a good chance at a "reset" without using a first round pick.

Antonio Brown is arguably the best WR in the league. The skins have not even had a decent WR even close to his talent or explosiveness since Santana Moss.

Ignore the "he's a cancer" rumors. His beef was more so with Roethlisber (a known arrogant jerk). Look at how the Amari Cooper trade turned out for Dallas and there were also negative rumors about him. A top flight WR changes everything.

Go all out for Brown, Rosen and Landon Collins. Trade Norman and Jordan Reed for picks. I could see this team ending up 9-7 or 10-6.

The team needs a whole lot more work to go 9-7 or 10-16 than just a QB, WR, S and trading Norman and Reed for picks. Unless you plan on using the first rounder to draft a corner, no one in the FA market can replace Norman this year. It's also not a good year for tight ends, and Vernon Davis could retire, leaving us to fill three tight end spots if we trade Reed.

If you also recall the two years under Shanahan that we had the 13% cap penalty due to moves made in the uncapped year, he said it was near impossible to put together a competitive team because you have to pick and choose where you spend money, and to fill out a quality depth chart is near impossible. So we've got three years of that, which makes sense to take a chance on Josh Rosen, because he's a top 10 pick from a year ago and the Cardinals will be paying his guaranteed money so that fits in the parameters of filling out QB.

I don't want to add Antonio Brown. This dude has gone off the deep end, and to say it's just Roethlisberger is ridiculous. He's telling people that the new team has to "play by his rules" and he doesn't need money but is selling 15 second clips of him saying what you want him to say for $500. We don't need that kind of player. But of course, it fits the narrative because Snyder needs to sell tickets and merchandise, which has always taken precedence over establishing a winning culture, which would actually sell more tickets and merchandise in the long run. And get Danny Boy the stadium that no one wants to give him

Rosen, possibly. Brown, hard pass. We need playmakers for sure. The last thing Washington needs is more drama when the franchise has settled in without a ton of drama for a few off-seasons. Plus I don't think Brown takes us from average to above average, especially without a stable QB throwing to him. They would probably suck and he will end up being the diva he has shown to be.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar08 View Post
    Rosen, possibly. Brown, hard pass. We need playmakers for sure. The last thing Washington needs is more drama when the franchise has settled in without a ton of drama for a few off-seasons. Plus I don't think Brown takes us from average to above average, especially without a stable QB throwing to him. They would probably suck and he will end up being the diva he has shown to be.
    Considering the Alex Smith injury, Reuben Foster waiver claim and the firing of Brian Lafemina and the rest of his hires in the business department nine months after being hired following an 18 month pursuit (in part because of said waiver claim) you can't really say the team has avoided drama this off-season. But I agree, keeping Brown out of here should be priority 1.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Considering the Alex Smith injury, Reuben Foster waiver claim and the firing of Brian Lafemina and the rest of his hires in the business department nine months after being hired following an 18 month pursuit (in part because of said waiver claim) you can't really say the team has avoided drama this off-season. But I agree, keeping Brown out of here should be priority 1.
    Again, I disagree with avoiding elite playmakers because we are hesitant about the “drama”. We have been going after “high character” guys for years and it has gotten us no where while we sit back and watch other teams take risks on these guys and pan out. Plus, Norman is a loudmouth diva. Swearinger was not the model guy, but he balled out and the team stupidly cut him for calling out our lame defensive coordinator. Us not having a decent QB is even more reason to go after an Elite WR.

Quote Originally Posted by TheScab View Post
    Again, I disagree with avoiding elite playmakers because we are hesitant about the “drama”. We have been going after “high character” guys for years and it has gotten us no where while we sit back and watch other teams take risks on these guys and pan out. Plus, Norman is a loudmouth diva. Swearinger was not the model guy, but he balled out and the team stupidly cut him for calling out our lame defensive coordinator. Us not having a decent QB is even more reason to go after an Elite WR.
    Well, how about football reasons as to not acquire them?

Reuben Foster's bad shoulders are well documented. It was one of the biggest red flags for him heading into the draft, as he had surgery after his senior season to repair labrum and rotator cuff damage. At last year's draft, Schefter reported that his shoulder could give out at any time. I also found an article breaking down some plays and at times last year, Foster is playing with one arm because of his shoulder injury. Further, PFF found two games where he missed more tackles than he made.

So if he's not missing games because of a shoulder that might give out at any time, he was sent home from the combine with a dilluted sample and got aggressive with the worker. He was busted on drug and weapons charges, and was involved in a nightclub shooting incident, on top of his well documented domestic violence issues. So if he's actually healthy, is Foster ever going to make it off the commissioners list? Or if he does something again, and his history indicates that he most certainly will, he will end back up on the commissioners restricted list.

Hard pass on the shoulder injuries. I've seen enough ineffective ILB play the past couple years, I don't need to see it again. You just can't count on this guy to be on the field for your team, plain and simple.

As for Antonio Brown, he will be 31 when the season starts. His biggest asset is his speed and agility, which is only going to go downhill over the next couple seasons. Chad Johnson's career cratered after his age 31 season. Randy Moss made it to 32 and then saw a steep decline. And those are guys with size on their side. Brown is 5'10, 182 and with receivers playing all over the place now and being relied on for shorter catches to move the chains, they are getting hit hard after every catch by linebackers who have at least 60 pounds on them. You brought up Santana Moss, whose the same height and about the same weight as Brown, and he too saw his career drop off after 31.

If Brown was 26 (the age where we acquired Moss) then a trade would be worth it, but not now.

What the Redskins need is to hit the reset button. BUT, I agree if they are going to continually just try and stay afloat with mid 30 yr old QBs that are avg at best, in this desperate attempt to think they can win now.....then they need to get a playmaking WR. Sooner or later the Skins need to invest in a young, cheap QB. Rosen would be just that, and he won't even cost a 1st rd pick. The reason many teams are in way better salary cap situations is that they have a qb on a rookie contract. The skins have 27 mill invested this yr at qb and 2 players eat up 38% of our defensive money. If we don't want Brown and/or Rosen, then cut bait with Norman and maybe even look to deal Kerrigan and Trent Williams and get back to a healthy cap situation. Cut Reed and do not sign an avg at best Crowder or 8-10 mill per yr he is projecting

Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    What the Redskins need is to hit the reset button. BUT, I agree if they are going to continually just try and stay afloat with mid 30 yr old QBs that are avg at best, in this desperate attempt to think they can win now.....then they need to get a playmaking WR. Sooner or later the Skins need to invest in a young, cheap QB. Rosen would be just that, and he won't even cost a 1st rd pick. The reason many teams are in way better salary cap situations is that they have a qb on a rookie contract. The skins have 27 mill invested this yr at qb and 2 players eat up 38% of our defensive money. If we don't want Brown and/or Rosen, then cut bait with Norman and maybe even look to deal Kerrigan and Trent Williams and get back to a healthy cap situation. Cut Reed and do not sign an avg at best Crowder or 8-10 mill per yr he is projecting
    Drafting WR's has always been a problem for this team. Crowder is the only one who has done well in recent memory. We traded for Coles and Moss. Gardner and Doctson were first round busts. Hankerson and Taylor Jacobs were also early round busts. Also can't forget Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly either.

Brown going to the Raiders, dodged a big bullet on that one.

I agree that the skins track record of drafting wr hasn't been good. Crowder is halfway decent, but not worth 8-10 mill per season. Don't forget Desmond Howard as a 1st rd wr bust

Thankfully this never happened. Rosen is going to be nothing more than an average QB and well, Brown, is a disaster.