Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddar08 View Post
    I would also be ok with a losing year, but that would also most certainly cost Gruden and Co their jobs. Which means that we won't completely look to "tank" this season. It is more likely that we at least attempt to win somewhat. I could honestly see Jay being axed mid season if this year goes poorly enough. I don't mind him though I think he is a decent HC. This team was in utter disarray before he got here, so he started in a huge hole. If it meant that we also lost Bruce Allen, then I am all for Jay falling on the sword.
    And my only solace in that at least "attempting to win" is most likely going to end up in tanking anyway, so there's that.

I also vehemently disagree that Gruden is a good coach. Compared to Spurrier and Zorn who were utterly clueless? Absolutely. But his hubris and arrogance has cost us dearly in both his playcalling, game management and at the defensive coordinator position.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Im fully aware of that, Weve been +/- a game from 8-8 for a while now and honestly I want to either suck or be damn good. Personally, I cant see us being damn good with Josh Rosen, so the alternative is to suck, and hopefully be able to hit home runs with the favorable draft picks, and have those guys on the cheap so we have money to play with once we are done with Smith.

So instead of having a young guy on a cheap deal with money to build around, you want the young guy on the cheap with no money to build around, and when its time to pay him we will give him Aaron Rodgers money and still have no money to build around him.
    I think your point escapes me. Either way the money is already spent. I don't think Rosen is going to come in and take us from average to a title contender, obviously. But the financial situation remains the same either way, regardless if we trade for him or not. If he is good and at the end of his contract and deserves to be paid, then that is a good thing. If not then he walks and we get a comp pick back for whatever mid round (hopefully) pick we send for him (potentially). None of this affects the financial situation the Redskins are in. I get your point about not having money in the future to add around him, but if you are going to have a competitive team then that is what we are stuck with whether or not you get one now or in the future. They need to draft solid complimentary pieces for their QB, this solves having to spend money to put good pieces around him.
    Last edited by cheddar08; 03-08-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Also I believe they had cash to spend after acquiring Smith. They have some large contracts that are likely to be restructured/come off the books in the near future. Trading for Rosen or drafting a QB now allows them time to grow in our organization instead of treading water for a year or two and then tanking...

Also I believe they had cash to spend after acquiring Smith. They have some large contracts that are likely to be restructured/come off the books in the near future. Trading for Rosen or drafting a QB now allows them time to grow in our organization instead of treading water for a year or two and then tanking...
    But you are still carrying the Smith deal, which will account for close to 13% of the cap, which is difficult to fill out the depth chart, even if you are clearing some deals down the line. If we "kick the can down the road" we have three years of this kind of cap hit. I called the Smith deal a disaster for how he would age, not even taking into account the crazy contract we gave him, which was approximately $13 million less in guaranteed money than Cousins got. Allen should be fired for that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    But you are still carrying the Smith deal, which will account for close to 13% of the cap, which is difficult to fill out the depth chart, even if you are clearing some deals down the line. If we "kick the can down the road" we have three years of this kind of cap hit. I called the Smith deal a disaster for how he would age, not even taking into account the crazy contract we gave him, which was approximately $13 million less in guaranteed money than Cousins got. Allen should be fired for that alone.
    Agreed but there is no way Gruden and Allen are taking that lump this offseason since they wouldn't be here next season if they don't put together a competitive team, in my opinion at least. I agree that the Smith contract wasn't ideal. But he did have us at least have us competitive until the injury. Cousins didn't really pan out that well either for what he got. But unfortunately that is the cost of business trying to obtain/keep adequate QBs in this league. To me that is even more reason to make a move now. I get that you have to spend more money right when we get the money off the books, but it's the situation we are in. I would prefer they trade for Rosen, let him start, and go 4-12 while eating Smith's cap hit this season. But unfortunately that isn't going to happen. They skins missed the boat on wiping the slate clean this offseason.

Good points, but like I said above, attempting to win is still going to end up in the same way- we're going to lose more games than we win, but trying to win is going to cost us valuable draft pick positioning. My only hope is that with no one playing ball on the stadium front, Snyder sees an empty stadium for the entire season, tells Allen to kick rocks and finally lets a football guy handle things. If the Orioles can do it, so can the Redskins.

Very true, but this is all the more reason the Skins left Gruden/Allen around a season too long. If they were fired at the beginning of this offseason, you can sell a rebuild to the fans that understand the behind the scenes aspect of the game. Get rid of Smith's guaranteed portion, pick up a young QB, and completely **** the bed. But when you put them in this position to try and save their jobs you are going to get a less than competitive team that isn't fully committed to losing. You have to be on the track headed one way or the other.

I think your point escapes me. Either way the money is already spent. I don't think Rosen is going to come in and take us from average to a title contender, obviously. But the financial situation remains the same either way, regardless if we trade for him or not. If he is good and at the end of his contract and deserves to be paid, then that is a good thing. If not then he walks and we get a comp pick back for whatever mid round (hopefully) pick we send for him (potentially). None of this affects the financial situation the Redskins are in. I get your point about not having money in the future to add around him, but if you are going to have a competitive team then that is what we are stuck with whether or not you get one now or in the future. They need to draft solid complimentary pieces for their QB, this solves having to spend money to put good pieces around him.
    Whats so hard to understand about I think we should wait to get a young QB on the cheap so we will have money to spend. As noted Thomas has said Smith accounts for 13% of the cap, its basically just like the bogus "cap" penalty we were assessed under the Shanny era, except we will have this penalty through 2020. Its like we basically have 20 million less dollars to spend than anyone else on players in the NFL. I want to get rid of that contract before we build around a young guy. We can cut him after 2020 and only take a 10mil. cap hit.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2017 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12