Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    its starting to look like the warriors are gonna see what their offense looks without durant. Through out his career- hes been incredibly durable- its hard to imagine a minor tweak keeping him out over a week. At first I thought they sat him wednesday to give him a clear 5 days- but sitting him in a game against OKC? that makes me think theres something going on behind the scenes
    OKC sat Westbrook in the last game which I thought was a ***** move by them. Just like Houston sitting Harden etc. these teams are playing matchup games as we get closer to the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    OKC sat Westbrook in the last game which I thought was a ***** move by them. Just like Houston sitting Harden etc. these teams are playing matchup games as we get closer to the playoffs
    Or they are resting players they have been pushing hard to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Or they are resting players they have been pushing hard to get there.
    Why all of a sudden do guys need more rest than in any era over the last 60 years? LOL

You may be right but itís BS

Iíd much more appreciate it if it were tactical and not some lame excuse by the players to not fulfill their contractual obligations

Why all of a sudden do guys need more rest than in any era over the last 60 years? LOL

You may be right but itís BS

Iíd much more appreciate it if it were tactical and not some lame excuse by the players to not fulfill their contractual obligations
    Are you Stylez? Players now are much more finely tuned and much closer to the limits of their bodies, and we know more about keeping them healthy than ever before.

Are you Stylez? Players now are much more finely tuned and much closer to the limits of their bodies, and we know more about keeping them healthy than ever before.
    No. But I thought it was pretty lame that Harden sat a game and then played the next game. And so did LeBron, Westbrook and Iím sure Iím forgetting some other guys...

And then they play after the Warriors game. Itís annoying and I think theyíre being soft.

And if itís not soft then I hope itís tactical and we might actually have some great playoff games

No. But I thought it was pretty lame that Harden sat a game and then played the next game. And so did LeBron, Westbrook and Iím sure Iím forgetting some other guys...

And then they play after the Warriors game. Itís annoying and I think theyíre being soft.

And if itís not soft then I hope itís tactical and we might actually have some great playoff games
    Pop used to do that at the Spurs peak.

Pop used to do that at the Spurs peak.
    Yea but thatís only one team doing it not every team with superstars.

And also, those teams were always interesting because theyíd always still beat the Warriors (those are primarily the Spurs games I watched), and so it was interesting to see if the Warriors could beat the Spurs without Duncan, Parker etc

Yea but thatís only one team doing it not every team with superstars.

And also, those teams were always interesting because theyíd always still beat the Warriors (those are primarily the Spurs games I watched), and so it was interesting to see if the Warriors could beat the Spurs without Duncan, Parker etc
    This is an old debate. The rate of rest is likely to go up, not down as they learn more about maximizing players. Sorry.

This is an old debate. The rate of rest is likely to go up, not down as they learn more about maximizing players. Sorry.
    I get it. Itís just not the sports culture I grew up to love. Iím watching fewer and fewer games now and I wonít be surprised if there will be signinficant losses in revenue over the next 5-10 years as new guys will come in and take this line of thinking.

Not to mention all the changes in the rules, the NBA is going to regret making the game soft because itís alienating generations of watchers.

Mark my words Scoots (Iím sure in 5 years from now weíll still be in here debating). There will be a downsize of popularity for the NBA and revenue will be impacted. (Assuming guys continue to to take games off and they donít change the rules for aggressive defense to be played.

Iím also pretty sure the watered down aspect of evey team becoming a ďsplashĒ team jacking up 3s wonít help either.

Sorry to go on and on but you said ďsorryĒ in your post so Iím assuming youíre taking some (figurative) responsibility

I get it. Itís just not the sports culture I grew up to love. Iím watching fewer and fewer games now and I wonít be surprised if there will be signinficant losses in revenue over the next 5-10 years as new guys will come in and take this line of thinking.

Not to mention all the changes in the rules, the NBA is going to regret making the game soft because itís alienating generations of watchers.

Mark my words Scoots (Iím sure in 5 years from now weíll still be in here debating). There will be a downsize of popularity for the NBA and revenue will be impacted. (Assuming guys continue to to take games off and they donít change the rules for aggressive defense to be played.

Iím also pretty sure the watered down aspect of evey team becoming a ďsplashĒ team jacking up 3s wonít help either.

Sorry to go on and on but you said ďsorryĒ in your post so Iím assuming youíre taking some (figurative) responsibility
    It's normal to watch less sports as you age, and the game changes on everybody so nothing to be concerned about there.

The game isn't going as soft as people act though. The hand check was illegal the whole time, they just made it a little more specific. And after the hand check rule was changed offense in the NBA went down, not up like you would expect if it made it easier. The issue is that they got rid of the illegal defense rule and the league went from one on one to one on 5. It took some time for coaches to adjust and for rosters to be built with players who can maximize the new-old methods of getting a "good shot", while also maximizing the 3 point line. The real violence of years past was usually done by players who were not skilled enough to win without it, and those players just don't make it to the NBA anymore.

The NBA may well downsize, but that is more that media is getting massively fragmented and as people leave TV sports will have to charge more and more money and some people will just get priced out of being fans. MLB may well be the sport to win if they can keep the cheap game tickets going like they have at many parks, but the streaming of games is going to have to get a lot cheaper and that will result in lost revenue.

The 3 point shooting is a bit of a problem, and I expect there will be a rule adjustment at some point to re-balance it.

What I'd like from the NBA:

-25 man roster, 10 of them are development deals (not drafted by the team), give the development players real NBA contracts, but 6 years before they are restricted free agents.
    -No conferences, balance the schedule based on the top seeds play more games against the top seeds and on down like the NFL does.
    -Move the line out 3 inches and make it 26.75 from baseline to baseline and widen the court 3 feet.
    -Clean up the screen rules
    -Clean up the contact rules so that an offensive player creating contact is a no-call or a call on the offensive player if the contact gained them an advantage.
    -Don't call simple contact if it doesn't give the defender an obvious advantage. Play on.
    -Don't call a 24 second violation if the defense got the ball
    -Add an official, two on the baseline, two at the 3point line extended. Cut their running down.
    -Tell officials not to guess ... if you don't see it don't call it. No matter how the players "react".
    -5 seconds from when the player gets the ball to shoot a free throw. No players allowed in the lane between free throws.
    -Change the all-nba teams to be 2 bigs, 2 wings, and 1 of either.
    -Don't have such long TV timeouts. When teams or officials call a long timeout play a commerical, but leave the game video going in picture in picture. Do it every long timeout, but show 1 30 second spot, 1 15 second spot, and back to the game. Same number of commercials but less boring for fans.
    -All flagrant/non flagrant foul calls can be judged after the game. Call it a regular foul and play on.
    -There is a 5 second back to the basket with the ball rule. Let's extended to within 3 feet of the 3 point line and regardless of there you are facing. If you can't make a move within 5 seconds, get rid of the ball. It's been okay in the post, we need it elsewhere too.

Man, Iím for all of those rule changes. I see where you mind is. Is there a way for you to write a letter to the league or NBAPA? No Bs, I think those ratifications can save the game.

What are your suggestions on the 3 point shooting? Not sure, if one can regulate that issue other than reinstating the illegal defense rule. Good point on that

Man, Iím for all of those rule changes. I see where you mind is. Is there a way for you to write a letter to the league or NBAPA? No Bs, I think those ratifications can save the game.

What are your suggestions on the 3 point shooting? Not sure, if one can regulate that issue other than reinstating the illegal defense rule. Good point on that
    Just extending the 3pt line 3 inches will knock a few % off of the marginal shooters. But the big change is making the arc consistent all the way around. There are a bunch of shooters who shoot the majority of their shots from the short corner. Take that away and several players will drop 10% plus and will be told to stop shooting out there at all.

I think that's a good start.

Just extending the 3pt line 3 inches will knock a few % off of the marginal shooters. But the big change is making the arc consistent all the way around. There are a bunch of shooters who shoot the majority of their shots from the short corner. Take that away and several players will drop 10% plus and will be told to stop shooting out there at all.

I think that's a good start.
    Geometrically, I don't know how that would work. That corner 3 is pretty much as far back as it can get without having to tightrope it in to shoot that 3. They bring it back any further and big guys with size 18 shoes won't be able to shoot it without having their heels out of bounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12