Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
    outscoring a lot of mistakes will get us absolutely nowhere ...and trading for bonino, carter, anisimov, bozak will also get us nowhere other than trading assets for old slow forwards when we can just sign someone via fa...Would 1000% rather have hayes or even nelson than carter or frost at 2c. Frost isn't a petterson type player where he can just handle 2c duties...

now that scoring is increasing every single year
    1: no, scoring is not increasing every single year. there appears to have been a one-time increase in scoring that coincided with, and may have been caused by, the expansion draft.
    2: how much uglier would nolan patrick's numbers look without that increase?
    3: i can't decide whether the overlap between that increase in scoring, giroux's resurgence and couturier's breakout is concerning or reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    We need the top pp to actually score. That would be helpful.

I don't want Gordon back again. Sorry, not interested. I want someone who is going to put this team into the contender category. I don't see Gordon doing that.
    ya i really hated giroux and voracek on their off sides. Made no sense and it was so easy to forecheck/keep on the outside. Need to have G on his side and voracek on the other or someone who can onetime it. Wouldn't be opposed to tk on that side as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    ya i really hated giroux and voracek on their off sides. Made no sense and it was so easy to forecheck/keep on the outside. Need to have G on his side and voracek on the other or someone who can onetime it. Wouldn't be opposed to tk on that side as well.
    Agreed. That needs to be fixed...

as for the draft, assuming we have something like 10, 41, 65, and 72:

option A:
    turcotte or kaliyev: give me that wing sniper who can come into the NHL in a few years and light the league up.

option B:
    whichever one of boldy, cozens, zegras, byram or pelletier happens to fall to #10 instead.

at #41:
    option A:
    trade up into the #20-25 range. get one of the 6'+ forwards that drops. whether it's suzuki or dach or poulin or lavoie, or nikolaev or beecher; it doesn't really matter. someone always drops. get'um.

after that, i'd pick at least two goalies (maybe 3) between rounds 3 and 5. give me that 6'7 guy in the CHL in round 3 and some random scandinavian in round 4 or 5.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post

after that, i'd pick at least two goalies (maybe 3) between rounds 3 and 5. give me that 6'7 guy in the CHL in round 3 and some random scandinavian in round 4 or 5.
    honestly don't know anyhting outside top 10 but do we really need to get 2 goalies? I honestly would be fine not even selecting one. We have some devent prospects outside of hart and can use the chance to select a forward or defender and hope its a home run pick

as for the draft, assuming we have something like 10, 41, 65, and 72:

option A:
    turcotte or kaliyev: give me that wing sniper who can come into the NHL in a few years and light the league up.

option B:
    whichever one of boldy, cozens, zegras, byram or pelletier happens to fall to #10 instead.

at #41:
    option A:
    trade up into the #20-25 range. get one of the 6'+ forwards that drops. whether it's suzuki or dach or poulin or lavoie, or nikolaev or beecher; it doesn't really matter. someone always drops. get'um.

1. I don't see a realistic way we get Turcotte without winning a top 3 pick. And 10 is probably too early for Kaliyev.

2. Just no to Suzuki period. I'm not opposed to trading up for the right guy.

3. Why in the hell would we need to draft 3 goalies? Bpa period. Though I don't have a lot of confidence in Fletcher's drafting abilities outside of the 1st round.

Also, just no to Carter, Bonino, Carter, etc...just stop. Stop advocating for worn down broken down players that are expensive and shells of their former selves.

^agreed.....No Carter, No Bonino....

I don't agree with picking 2-3 goalies in the draft either....We have, what, 6 goalie prospects at the moment (including Hart) - Samuel Ersson, Matej Tomek, Kiril Ustemenko, Felix Sandstrom, and Alex Lyon. We could go a year without a drafted goaltender (unless he's a can't miss prospect).

I think this draft should be focused on speed, size, and shooter...Hexy brought in a lot of well rounded players....I'd like to see them bring 2-3 shoot first prospects.....

Maybe even trade the #10 pick to move back a few spots in the draft (to draft Kaliyev - who I think has a lot of potential as a scoring winger) and possibly pick up additional picks either this year or next.

Fletcher has had more then enough time with this squad to know what moves have to be made for improvement. I think Gordon would be a Plan B type of coaching choice....There has to be someone else out there who has a system that will work for the players on this team.

scoring goals is harder than assisting them, right.
    TOR had tavares, matthews and kadri this year, so marner did not play center this year, right.
    TOR had matthews, bozak and kadri before this year, so again, marner did not play center.

in fact:
    mitch marner has never played center in the NHL.trading voracek 2 or 3 years ago could have solved alot of the issues that wound up festering under hextall/hakstol, however, with coming off a down season, this is the wrong time to shop him around the league. a fair value trade won't move the needle for us, and if we can't even get fair value, then all we'll have done is anchor his trade value at its lowest point.if we need those things to happen, what's plan B?

also: no, they're not all attainable. fun fact:
    in the last 25 years. the only time the flyers have had 7 forwards score 20 goals in a season: we fired the GM. i'm fine with keeping gordon. it's like the eagles hiring doug pederson after dumping chip kelly; all they wanted was someone to clean up the sewage left in chip kelly's wake.

pederson wound up doing pretty well for himself, but even if he hadn't, he would have been a fine hire because the eagles' top priority was changing the culture.

also, NHL are more disposable than toilet paper, so if the team starts off slow, we can still just fire him in december.
    H-F had him listed as one and didn't check. It's what I get for posting on my break at work. I'll eat that one.

Point remains. Frost can play center. This notion he can't is asinine and belongs back in the 90s. The size limitations of players people have in their brain is silly. It doesn't mean he MUST play center. But the idea he must be a wing because he's 6"0, 180 is beyond belief. To date he's done literally nothing but Excell against every level of competition there. I have to doubt he'd be a fine center. Just like Claude Giroux was.

Deciding today Frost must be w wing because Giroux has had a career resgurgence there puts the Flyers in an uncreative, immobile box, that will lead to overpays at positions because of a perceived "need" that very well may not exist at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 04-09-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    H-F had him listed as one and didn't check. It's what I get for posting on my break at work. I'll eat that one.

Point remains. Frost can play center. This notion he can't is asinine and belongs back in the 90s. The size limitations of players people have in their brain is silly. It doesn't mean he MUST play center. But the idea he must be a wing because he's 6"0, 180 is beyond belief. To date he's done literally nothing but Excell against every level of competition there. I have to doubt he'd be a fine center. Just like Claude Giroux was.

Deciding today Frost must be w wing because Giroux has had a career resgurgence there puts the Flyers in an uncreative, immobile box, that will lead to overpays at positions because of a perceived "need" that very well may not exist at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Also, there are plenty of good centers who are smaller. It isn't a deal breaker.
    Last edited by Ace23; 04-09-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Proposal to move all activity to offseason thread from now on?

I would second this

Thread closed. Move to other one for all future comments

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031