Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    The best the Flyers could do know without moving up in the lottery is get the 10th pick if they tank. They are a long way from the top echelon of this league. Washington and Tampa are in a class all their own. The Flyers again are a playoff bubble team and most likely will draft in the teens.
    Fortunately Tampa is going to lose someone this off-season. There's no way for them to keep Point (absent him taking a ridiculously team friendly deal), plusc they need to find a way to lock up Sergachev & Vasilevskiy.

Washington is good now, but could quickly become hamstrung by their current balance sheet -- they have big money tied up in a lot of aging and/or decent players (Oshie, Wilson, Niskanen, Eller, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    Fortunately Tampa is going to lose someone this off-season. There's no way for them to keep Point (absent him taking a ridiculously team friendly deal), plusc they need to find a way to lock up Sergachev & Vasilevskiy.

Washington is good now, but could quickly become hamstrung by their current balance sheet -- they have big money tied up in a lot of aging and/or decent players (Oshie, Wilson, Niskanen, Eller, etc)
    What I hate about the Tampa thing is their competitive advantages due to being in florida. Not only do these players have to love the 70 degree winters... they also have zero state income tax. The difference in income tax with most states is about 8% while in California its a 13% difference. Not even going to get into the difference in taxes vs the Canadian teams.

So a standard "hometown discount" of 10%" plus roughly the 10% for no state taxes means in Tampa if you earn 8 million a year it's almost the equivalent of earning 10 a year in LA, more in canada, and slightly less than 10 in other states.

I haven't looked at their cap space, but even if they lost a singular player (not named Kucherov) they're still the best team in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    What I hate about the Tampa thing is their competitive advantages due to being in florida. Not only do these players have to love the 70 degree winters... they also have zero state income tax. The difference in income tax with most states is about 8% while in California its a 13% difference. Not even going to get into the difference in taxes vs the Canadian teams.

So a standard "hometown discount" of 10%" plus roughly the 10% for no state taxes means in Tampa if you earn 8 million a year it's almost the equivalent of earning 10 a year in LA, more in canada, and slightly less than 10 in other states.

I haven't looked at their cap space, but even if they lost a singular player (not named Kucherov) they're still the best team in the east.
    This is the reason you need players like Raffl, Laughton, Hagg, Hartman, even Ghost with his team friendly deal, etc. You can't have a team of all superstars unless they are all going to sign a team friendly contract.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post

a lot of the 0 state income tax is made up in other taxes though.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    a lot of the 0 state income tax is made up in other taxes though.
    Not to mention that players *still* pay state & local taxes in every other city where they play -- it isn't a 0% (FLA or TX) or 3-12% (everywhere else) question. In effect, FLA pro athletes are paying about half as much (50% road games) in state & local income taxes, plus the usual real estate taxes.

So it is a nice benefit, but it isn't incredible. If we really boil it down, the difference between playing in Philly (50% of 5% state + local (home) + 50% of 6% average state + local (away)) and TB (50% of 0% state + local (home) + 50% of 6% average state + local (away)) turns into 2.5%, plus or minus. And the new cap on the SALT deduction does make playing in TB or FLA slightly more valuable than that flat 2.5% savings, as players in other cities can't use that to reduce federal liabilities (except taxes paid by US citizens in CA, which are likely deductible).

That's all a really long way of saying that yes, 2.5% of $8M per year is a nice chunk of change ($200,000 per year), but its less than the value of one good endorsement deal, which players in major markets are more likely to get. For most marquee players, it really is 6 of one (tax savings, lower secondary income), half a dozen of the other (more taxes, higher secondary income from endorsements).
    Last edited by Ace23; Yesterday at 06:46 PM.

Are we at the point where we start to ask the question.....who stays and who goes?

Our playoff chances are razor thin at this point.....Why is Sam Morin and Cam Talbot not playing more? Shouldn't the team see what those guys can do in a small sample size of games?

Quote Originally Posted by SportsNutMike View Post
    Are we at the point where we start to ask the question.....who stays and who goes?

Our playoff chances are razor thin at this point.....Why is Sam Morin and Cam Talbot not playing more? Shouldn't the team see what those guys can do in a small sample size of games?
    ya they aren't making it. Gordon said when they are actually eliminated, morin will play. Honestly, these last two weeks has made me want to get rid of hagg or just have him as the 7th d man. He is slow and looks terrible without a good puck mover.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    ya they aren't making it. Gordon said when they are actually eliminated, morin will play. Honestly, these last two weeks has made me want to get rid of hagg or just have him as the 7th d man. He is slow and looks terrible without a good puck mover.
    Shame we never traded him to EDM sooner Chirelli was GM... probably could've gotten a good player back.

Fortunately, Hagg is still a decent-to-good, not to mention cheap, 3rd pairing defenseman.

If Hagg is that, what is AMac? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Amac>hagg

elite beer league defenseman?
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

I honestly don't think Andrew MacDonald as a 3rd pairing on a non-competitive team, or as a 7th defensemen on a decent team is a crazy idea. He's not good by any means, he's well overpaid, but I think in stints he can be fairly serviceable as a last d-man type. Part of his issue here is his contract makes him even worse than he is. Part of it is has been the young and talented defensemen he's seemingly blocked.

Hagg as a 3rd liner on a cheap contract isn't horrible either. I don't love Robert Hagg, think he's basically capped out as a player, but he's servicable, too.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    i have never seen one team love a guy more than the flyers Love G... he is damn good but i wanted him traded years ago for a guy like Ovechkine when ovy stock dropped that 1 year. G is amazing and right now guys like Ghost etc seem to be the scape goats but how many times have you seen a team with an unmovable cant touch guy not make the playoffs or get out of the first round? G is no crosby/Stam/Ovie etc... This offense is a major issue in all honestly... I am all for keeping G but someone on the top not named Couts our best player needs to go... Right now hard/Couts/Prov should be the only untouchables but this organization has a hard on for G and I get it the dude has the most points over like the last 4 years BUT WE DONT DO **** WITH HIM. Something has to change
    Giroux isn't the problem. It's like saying the issues with the Oilers is with McDavid. It isn't. Or any other really good player saddled on a bad or simply decent team. Team game = team result. Giroux is awesome. The issue for the Flyers this year was how they napped through the first three months (Giroux didn't, mind you). You can say "that's on the captain", but I find that rhetoric old and for the talking-heads. Players don't need a captain to tell them to play. They were a bad team for 3 months, buoyed by bad goaltending. In the past the goaltending has been an issue, or the defense, or the scoring...but the issue the Flyers have faced are not within Giroux's issues.

Should anyone be "untouchable"? I don't even find Couturier or Provorov to be "untouchable". Both are great, but both can be had for great packages (that won't happen, it's it's not worth discussing, but there's theoretical moves to be made if they were to come to fruition). Giroux shouldn't be shopped. I mean, if someone offers you a stupid deal, you drive him to the airport and say goodbye, but that's it. (BTW, there was no way in the world the Capitals were going to deal Ovechkin for Giroux because his stocked kind of dipped for one year. So let's just let that part of the conversation die a cold death. Never was going to happen).
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Well, now that the playoffs are all but a glimmer in our eye, it's time to start looking forward to the offseason. I'm encouraged right now. The team has had a resurgent 2nd half. Lindblom began to come into his own. JVR had a good 2nd half. The team didn't miss a beat without Simmonds. Hart. I mean, Carter Hart. Myers looked like he's got staying power, and while not consistent, flashed high end skill. Sanheim really had a good year.

I won't paint everything has peaches and unicorns. I don't really love the deadline (we traded for Talbot so he can do...what...exactly? And the Simmonds return is underwhelming). Which brings me to the next point; still very iffy on the Fletcher hire. Coaching will be interesting heading into next year. Team has options in free agency.

In the end, I think the Flyers showed a lot of progress on the ice through the year. They had the look of a playoff team for a while. That's a good start. Can't say we finished where we all hoped we would, but I'm not upset where the arrow is pointing right now, either.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617